Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Toiveling dishes-when did you learn about it?
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:32 am
My parents are BTs and always toiveled the dishes as far as I remember. After shopping we'd go down to the lake with a laundry basket. Either find a well placed rock or take off our shoes and socks and carefully dunk the stuff.
When I was engaged my mother took me with all my wedding gifts.
DH is BT, he knows about it.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 4:30 am
I grew up helping my mother toivel dishes. I'm sure I learnt about it in school too.

When we moved to a small community where my husband is a Rabbi there was one family here who considered themselves very frum (kashrus, shabbos, mikva etc) but literally had no idea that you needed to toivel dishes. (they were in their 50's already) They went and toivelled all their stuff.

cm

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 5:50 am
sweetpotato wrote:
Are you talking about toiveling keilim in general, I.e. glass, metal utensils, or specifically dishes, I.e. Porcelain, China, ceramic? Not everyone holds you have to toivel porcelain and ceramic.

This is correct. My response is for "keilim." While I have heard people mentioning "toiveling dishes" and know some people who do it, we do not toivel ceramic and the like.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 6:27 am
FFB, went to Bais-Yaakov lite school. Learned about it in 7th grade. My mother very infrequently bought new dishes and when she did, toveled them in the stores she bought them in, which were owned by frum people. So I didn't have occasion to see her do it when I was growing up.

Sadie

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 6:34 am
I used to work in a Hasidic neighborhood and a friend worked in a store nearby that had a keilim mikva inside the store, and he explained what it was.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 7:09 am
amother wrote:
So I learned that you can use something once before toiveling as I was becoming frum, but then in seminary I was told that's not true. Does everyone know that dishes from prepared platters aren't toiveled? I thought they were.

Toiveling is incumbent on the owner to do so you can't buy something pre-toiveled. But while I'm not certain of the exact Halachos I assume buying a candy platter is similar to buying a glass jar with food in it-- since your intention is to acquire the candy and not the platter you only have to toivel the platter if after consuming the candy you decide to keep it and continue using it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 7:15 am
amother wrote:
I am FFB, MO elementary school and HS. Never learned about it in school. My mother was a BT and AFAIK was not aware of this mitzva. I don't know if anyone in our community really did it on a regular basis but then again I really have no way of knowing. After all, there was at least one mikva in the community that all the women used so they must have had a keilim mikva too.
I knew about it by the time I got married and set up my own home. I don't remember how I came to learn about it. BTW this is a while ago, maybe things have changed and there is more emphasis on it now in MO schools and communities.

This is basically me. We did have one teacher in hs who was teaching about what a mikvah is, and she took us on a field trip to see one, and brought along something she needed to tovel. She was very bais yaakov, so I think I thought it was a chumrah (like I did with skirts vs pants) or that my mom did it and had never mentioned it.

After seminary, when we got new things, I toveled them for my mom. She didn't have an issue with it, but eventually I realized that she likely hadn't toveled anything in the house when I noticed a sticker on the bottom of a fancy serving bowl we took out occasionally on Shabbos.

I had a nice talk with my rav, and he said I didn't have to ask anyone if their dishes were toveled before using them, including my mom (she never said they weren't), but that if I could tell something wasn't, taking it myself was a good idea, particularly if it's not a safek on tevillah and was used for food prep. So when my mom actually told me she didn't tovel things, I took everything metal over. The rav said that under the circumstances, there was no need for the dishes and glasses, but that I should continue taking anything new to get toveled.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:59 am
FFB. Learned the halachos in depth with R Forst in high school (10th or 11th), was mentioned when we learned about the war with the midyanim in chumash and grew up helping my parents toivel new things all the time.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
FFB. Learned the halachos in depth with R Forst in high school (10th or 11th), was mentioned when we learned about the war with the midyanim in chumash and grew up helping my parents toivel new things all the time.

Me too Very Happy

mirah2

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:49 pm
Giyoret here. I learnt about this through self-study/Jewish friends at Uni early on, but it was also part of my conversion syllabus. One of the first things I was told to do after going to the mikveh myself was to tovel any new/kashered keilim I owned, as I couldn't have done that as a non-Jew.

I'm a bit surprised that a ger wouldn't have been taught this by their converting Rav or BD, but then again I converted under one of the stricter BD's...

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
So I learned that you can use something once before toiveling as I was becoming frum, but then in seminary I was told that's not true. Does everyone know that dishes from prepared platters aren't toiveled? I thought they were.

One of the candy stores here puts a sticker on all of the platters, etc. saying that it has not been toveled and must be toveled before reusing.

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:24 pm
I learned that being allowed to use it once before tooveling is a myth and it's not permitted. I would love to know if there are other opinions.

Also you need to own the keili to toivel it which is why you need to pay for the item before dipping it (in a local store that has a mikvah....)

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:00 pm
I was referring to keilim, not china or questionable items. I was very surprised that they did not learn about it earlier, hence the question here.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:48 pm
I was in Amazing Savings - Lakewood - recently and 2 women who did not appear to be frum came over to me to ask if the item they were buying needed toveling. I was very impressed that they knew about that!

(The item was an electric urn. I hold that it does need toveling, but I know that some Rabbanim say that if it will break by immersing it, you don't have to. So, I told them that it was a complicated question and they should ask their Rabbi.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen