Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Twin over twin bunk bed recommendations

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:40 pm
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing twin over twin bunk beds in the near future and was wondering if anyone has recommendations. Please only post if you have first hand experience with the bunk bed set. I am particularly interested in safety as my kids can sometimes be quite active and wild. Extra storage would be nice also.

If you can, please let me know the model you have, price, features, and best & worst things about it.

Also do you know if you can use regular twin mattresses for top &/or bottom bunks?

Your input is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:21 pm
I owned 2 white metal frame bunk beds from Ikea for the past 4 years. They were $150 each. They were sturdy and held up well under my 4 active boys even up to age 13. I really liked them. I originally bought 2 thin-ish Ikea mattresses when I bought the first bed. I didn't love those so I replaced them.with regular 39" twin mattresses and they were much better. We recently moved so I gave them away to a furniture gmach here. Someone else will get a lot of use out of them too. The only thing I didn't like was not specific to these beds. Kids get tired of a top bunk. They can't just sit on their bed, and neither can you. You have to climb up. It's also difficult to make the beds and to change the linens on the top bunk. Hope this helped!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
I owned 2 white metal frame bunk beds from Ikea for the past 4 years. They were $150 each. They were sturdy and held up well under my 4 active boys even up to age 13. I really liked them. I originally bought 2 thin-ish Ikea mattresses when I bought the first bed. I didn't love those so I replaced them.with regular 39" twin mattresses and they were much better. We recently moved so I gave them away to a furniture gmach here. Someone else will get a lot of use out of them too. The only thing I didn't like was not specific to these beds. Kids get tired of a top bunk. They can't just sit on their bed, and neither can you. You have to climb up. It's also difficult to make the beds and to change the linens on the top bunk. Hope this helped!

Thanks so much! This is very helpful. Question: Was the regular mattress too thick for the top bunk or does the guardrail still come up high enough on the side of it even though mattress was thicker?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:35 pm
The regular mattress did come up a little high but there were still a few inches of guard rail there. I guess it depends on the thickness of the mattress that you buy. One of mine came up a little higher than the other business both were safe.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
The regular mattress did come up a little high but there were still a few inches of guard rail there. I guess it depends on the thickness of the mattress that you buy. One of mine came up a little higher than the other business both were safe.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:00 pm
We have an Orbelle bunk bed. Regular mattresses fit (but they're not the extra deep ones) and the bunk has the option to convert into two separate beds complete with headboards and footboards. There's also the option to set up the bunk closer to the floor or higher up so you can put a pull out bed under as well. It also comes with a gard rail for the upper bunk bed. The price is around $900 I think depending on color, including mattresses. Very sturdy.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:03 pm
If you want to spend over $1000 you can get the Oeuf bed that we got ... seems nice and comfortable. I think that didn't include mattresses or comforters, etc, just the bed frame. But hey, the kids will be using this for many years.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:51 pm
we had a stanley bunk bed with trundle 3rd bed ... the wood is great as a forever bed ... the downside of our particular model was that in order for the trundle that was framed in wood to fit a twin mattress, the other 2 beds were twin extra long ... they never described that when ordering & so I was pissed - but made pillows and/or stuffed the footing with things the kids held onto [books, monkeys, toys, etc]

there has got to be a better way to have the drawer with no sides so all 3 beds are standard

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:51 pm
Thank you to all who posted for your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics