Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Thanks for your Chessed!
1  2  Next

Moonlight

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:34 pm
I want to share a very nice thing someone did for me today. I ran into a store thinking I'd be 2 minutes and therefore did not bother paying a money meter for a parking stub. Something happened and I ended up being 15 minutes. When I came out, I had a parking ticket on my windshield. But somone had purchased a stub for me and left it on top of my parking ticket so I would not have to pay the fee! They obviously saw my car being ticketed and realized their quarter could save me from a fine! I can use their stub to reverse the charge.
I really appreciate it and will pass on the chessed next time I see someone getting a ticket!

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:48 pm
Kol hakavod that you recognized the chessed.

I don't get how paying after you have been fined helps , but maybe they have different systems where you live.

NEXT TIME why not pay for the parking, so you are not overrr the issurr of stealing? That quarter could save you so much more than a parking ticket.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:51 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:

I don't get how paying after you have been fined helps , but maybe they have different systems where you live.

NEXT TIME why not pay for the parking, so you are not overrr the issurr of stealing? That quarter could save you so much more than a parking ticket.

If you have a stub dated within 5 minutes after the ticket your ticket is dismissed.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 10:57 pm
Ok. That's a great system. So I guess for less than 5 minutes technically you don't need a ticket . Apologies for the inappropriate tochecha.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 11:34 pm
Actually this is a clever (scam) people use in brooklyn to get out of a meter ticket. The way it works is that suppose I return to my car at 2:00 and I have a receipt that is valid from 1:15-2:15. I notice that the car behind me is getting a ticket right now at 2:00. When the meter person leaves I can be nice and simply put my valid receipt on the windshield of the car getting a ticket so they will be able to contest the ticket and win. Sometimes if someone gets a ticket they will just wait around till someone from the other parked cars comes back and they can give the receipt to the person who was ticketed. Op, obviously no one looked in your windshield and saw you didn't have a receipt. Someone noticed your ticket and gave you their receipt. To be honest I'm 99% sure this is completely illegal yet I wouldn't hesitate to make use of this system.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:03 am
cnc wrote:
If you have a stub dated within 5 minutes after the ticket your ticket is dismissed.

Trivia: This happened because when NYC first switched from a meter by each car to 1-2 ticket machines per block, a lot of people ended up getting tickets on their car when they were a few yards away paying for their ticket and hadn't gotten back to put it in their car yet. It was a hopelessly stupid situation, so they went ahead and adjusted the rule. Any other solution to verify who is really telling the truth would probably be extremely costly. Kind of makes you wonder who thought it was such a great idea to switch from the old kind of meter in the first place.

While I have qualms about the racket where people get a meter receipt to fight their ticket from someone who finished using it and therefore didn't get a ticket, I have no such problem with someone who goes ahead and buys you a ticket within minutes of seeing them put a ticket on your car. This was a classic chessed story when they had the old kind of meter - a meter checker is coming down the street, you notice that the meter you're walking past is expired but still has a car by it, you have no way of knowing whether the driver paid the meter and just miscalculated the time or didn't pay at all but you save them from getting a ticket by slipping a quarter in the meter just before the meter checker arrives. To me, that's just sweet. Neither the car owner nor the benefactor is actively participating in any form of fraud. One either made a mistake OR took a risk (hey, you're allowed to take risks if you are ready for the consequence), and the other did a favor for a stranger.

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 7:21 am
I know someone that has a stub gemach.
He asks you to give him your old stubs.
If someone gets a ticket, he sees if he has a stub for that time.
Seperates it by date.
Keeps 2 weeks at a time.

Is this a mitzvah? Definately not legal. Not sure where I stand on this

B"H where I live most places don't have meters, most stores have free parking lots.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:15 am
Just FYI the new meters in the five towns are car by car (they have sensors that start when you park) AND give you first five minutes free. You have 5 min to do what you want b4 needing a stub

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:19 am
Moonlight wrote:
Just FYI the new meters in the five towns are car by car (they have sensors that start when you park) AND give you first five minutes free. You have 5 min to do what you want b4 needing a stub

What neighborhood in the 5towns do you get a stub?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:22 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
What neighborhood in the 5towns do you get a stub?

My story didn't happen in 5 towns. Was just an FYI cuz someone else explained about 5 minutes leeway to go get a stub. I was adding that interestingly, on 5 towns, they give you 5 minutes even though the meters are car by car and they sense exactly when you parked

Moonlight

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 8:30 am
MitzadSheini wrote:

Really? Stealing? Everyone who gets a parking ticket is a ganav? That's quite a strong statement

bobeli

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 9:51 am
Seperates it by date.
Keeps 2 weeks at a time.

Can you post the gemach info, I have many tickets to give in.
thank you

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:31 am
After reading this I'm thrilled not to live in neighborhoods that have such pain in the neck meters. What a day to day drag that must be.

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:38 am
seeker wrote:
Trivia: This happened because when NYC first switched from a meter by each car to 1-2 ticket machines per block, a lot of people ended up getting tickets on their car when they were a few yards away paying for their ticket and hadn't gotten back to put it in their car yet. It was a hopelessly stupid situation, so they went ahead and adjusted the rule. Any other solution to verify who is really telling the truth would probably be extremely costly. Kind of makes you wonder who thought it was such a great idea to switch from the old kind of meter in the first place.

While I have qualms about the racket where people get a meter receipt to fight their ticket from someone who finished using it and therefore didn't get a ticket, I have no such problem with someone who goes ahead and buys you a ticket within minutes of seeing them put a ticket on your car. This was a classic chessed story when they had the old kind of meter - a meter checker is coming down the street, you notice that the meter you're walking past is expired but still has a car by it, you have no way of knowing whether the driver paid the meter and just miscalculated the time or didn't pay at all but you save them from getting a ticket by slipping a quarter in the meter just before the meter checker arrives. To me, that's just sweet. Neither the car owner nor the benefactor is actively participating in any form of fraud. One either made a mistake OR took a risk (hey, you're allowed to take risks if you are ready for the consequence), and the other did a favor for a stranger.

The old meters broke very often and it was very costly to empty the quarters out so they switched to this system. There is no win- win situation I guess.

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:40 am
cbg wrote:
Seperates it by date.
Keeps 2 weeks at a time.

Is this a mitzvah? Definately not legal. Not sure where I stand on this

B"H where I live most places don't have meters, most stores have free parking lots.

Not sure how it can be a mitzvah to help someone break the law and FYI the Feds showed up at a store that had a stub "gemach", I'm not sure what the conclusion of that incident was....

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:43 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
Actually this is a clever (scam) people use in brooklyn to get out of a meter ticket. The way it works is that suppose I return to my car at 2:00 and I have a receipt that is valid from 1:15-2:15. I notice that the car behind me is getting a ticket right now at 2:00. When the meter person leaves I can be nice and simply put my valid receipt on the windshield of the car getting a ticket so they will be able to contest the ticket and win. Sometimes if someone gets a ticket they will just wait around till someone from the other parked cars comes back and they can give the receipt to the person who was ticketed. Op, obviously no one looked in your windshield and saw you didn't have a receipt. Someone noticed your ticket and gave you their receipt. To be honest I'm 99% sure this is completely illegal yet I wouldn't hesitate to make use of this system.

It would be pretty easy to tell if someone gave their old receipt or someone purchased a new one depending on the time that the stub started.

I would gladly purchase a stub for someone but I wouldn't give them my old one.

naomi2

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:49 pm
Sounds illegal to me but I could be wrong. I got a ticket once for being late to get back to my car and someone gave me their stub. I accepted it but didn't use it.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:56 pm
This "gemach" sounds totally illegal. And Geneiva- the city charges for the parking spot. You parked without paying and therefore get the fine. You wouldn't walk out of a grocery store with a jug of milk without paying, would you?
Just buy a ticket or pay the fine.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 1:01 pm
bobeli wrote:
Seperates it by date.
Keeps 2 weeks at a time.

Can you post the gemach info, I have many tickets to give in.
thank you

Please don't post the "info".

Let's not encourage actions that are against Torah and the secular law.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:33 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Really? Stealing? Everyone who gets a parking ticket is a ganav? That's quite a strong statement

No. Not everyone who gets a parking fine is a ganev. Things happen and you plan to be back at a certain time, and you don't get there and accidently overstay the time- that's not stealing. (no one is saying you have to pat for an hour if you are really only planning to be 15 minutes just in case you get unexpectedly held up in order avoid stealing). And that's what happened wth you. In your area, the first 5 minutes are free, and you got back later than you thought. I didn't understand the system. So AGAIN I apologize to you for the inappropriate tochecha.

but imho a person who for no good reason choses to park in a paid area and deliberately does not buy a ticket in the hope that they just won't get caught in the short time they were there IS stealing.

I have never heard of a system with a five minute grace period where you could actually buy a ticket after you had received a fine. I apologized before but I apologise again for what I said.

(btw the way this thread has developed with the whole system of ticket gmachs and so on sounds really not right to me but has no bearing whatsoever on what the op did. The op was recognising a chessed which is a GOOD thing.). I am being DLKZ that person purchased a NEW stub rather than just pass on a used one, as that is what the op said happened and presumably she knows from the time on the stub.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics