Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Valley help!! PLEASE!!!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:00 am
We are seriously considering moving to the valley in Los Angeles. Can someone explain the Shuls there? I would love a smaller friendlier place with a kids program shabbos morning. My husband loves his learning (not in Kollel, just on his own). I heard of Beth Tefila, shaarei tzedek... I know there are more but what are all these places like?
What is life like there?
We would likely be sending kids to the La Brea side for school... Are there carpools?
We are "semi yeshivish"- DH isn't black and white but wears a black hat. We don't own a tv, I dress yeshivish (cover head 100%, tights or stockings).

I know it is cheaper than Pico or La Brea. Any other pluses?
I might not get a choice so I want to hear all the good stuff so I can feel comfortable without having my eyes shut to negatives...

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:48 pm
BUMP!!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 1:26 pm
the valley is a big area with many jewish communities. sounds like you are talking about north hollywood. from what you said, sounds like you would fit in. where did you live now?can you visit?

people send their kids to emek, yeshiva ketanah, or schools in the pico or la brea are. I wouldn't send young kids to school in the city, too schleppy imo, but to each her own. yes people do carpool.

you will figure out what shul makes sense later. many people go to more than one. there is not such a huge range.

housing is cheaper than the city but still very expensive.

what else do you want to know?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:55 pm
We want to buy close to the main shul we would go to... So want to know what would be a good fit. Can you describe the Shuls?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:30 pm
my advice would be to rent first. I don't think it's wise to buy right away without actually living somewhere. the shuls are all near each other, should not make a big difference. on my parent's street there are families that go to each shul.

I don't live in the valley anymore so am not the best person to discuss the shuls with you. please go spend shabbos there in person. this is one of those things you need to see and experience in person!

here is my take, I am probably biased: shaarey zadek probably has the most variety. many minyanim, more diversity among members in terms of hashkafa and age, etc, many baalei tshuva and converts. I am mo and don't feel particularly comfortable there but it's certainly not very yeshivaish. the people who actually support the institution financially are modern orthodox but the rabbi and the policies of the shul are more to the right.

beis tefilah- I have never been there. it's a more yeshivaish break off from shaarey zadek. I know the rabbi and he is definitely not modern orthodox, more to the right. believes in kollel lifestyle etc. although there is no kollel in north hollywood...

chabad- many people who go to shaarey zadek also go to chabad for shiurim etc. have heard great things!

I believe rabbi eidlitz, emek, and valley torah both have minyanim but I don't know more about them.

there are a number of sfardi shuls as well. I am surprised there has not been a more modern orthodox breakaway yet.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:13 pm
Thanks for all your help.
We can't rent for various reasons so wanted to get some ideas before visiting.

Where do the yeshivish-ish younger couples tend to live? (Which major streets are they close to?) where do they Go to shul?
Thanks...

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 10:26 pm
I lived there 20 years ago and were heimishe/chasidish. I went to bais tzivia and we davened in the chasidish shul on la brea. Bais tzivia is probably like the most yeshivish. Toras emes is a bit more open minded. Then theres lubavich of course.
Hancock park is yeshivish and chasidish. The valley is out of towny, modern Orthodox. Good luck in your decision

SRB

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 2:03 am
I live in the La Brea area currently but exploring the idea of moving to the valley because it's less expensive. People do carpool their kids from the valley to the LaBrea area for school but it's a schlep and a half! I won't consider it but people do. You should visit the areas. Where are you moving from?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating