Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this normal for $40k entry level job??
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:21 am
I just had a phone interview for a job I applied for. It's a bit beneath my experience and capabilities, but it seems interesting, is in my field, has room for growth, and as a Sahm trying to get back into the workforce, I understand I can't be too picky and can't expect to waltz right back into the level where I left off. However, the interviewer just described the next steps of the process and I'm floored. I've been given a test project to complete- ok, that's normal- but told to expect this project to take 5-7 hours. And if I do it well enough for their liking, I will be called in for a 4 hour in person interview. And if they want to continue with me, I will be called in for a second interview, this one more along the lines of a typical 1 hour interview. And if they want to continue with me, there will be a final interview. This isn't some bigshot job with tons of responsibility. It is an entry level job that will pay around 40k. And I have had bigger and more prestigious jobs that have not had such an intense interview process, and I haven't been out of the workforce THAT long (less than 5 years) so it's not like all that much has changed, I think. Do you think it's normal to have this kind of process for a low level job? Is this some kind of new normal? This is an incredible investment of time (and money in childcare) that is of course not paid and may end up being all for naught. And it's not like this is some amazing opportunity either.

besty

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:28 am
don't think this make sense.....except if theres something in this job Im not aware of......

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:28 am
Sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:31 am
Sounds strange .. I would stay away.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:32 am
Sounds intense for a job interview!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 11:32 am
Given their interview process I would be concerned that they will be extremely tough demanding people to work for. If they aren't I would probably put up with this if there is reasonable chance you will get the job.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:15 pm
not normal...

theotherone

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:17 pm
What kind of work is it?

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 12:30 pm
Sounds odd.

Is that your only option right now?

STMommy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 1:07 pm
They are trying to use you for information to see how you would solve the problem, which is one they're currently experiencing, then ask you in the subsequent "interview" for all the details about how you completed the project, and then they'll have what they need. You'll hear back from them that they're not looking to continue with the interview process because in reality you were just there to be taken advantage of.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 1:29 pm
I would venture to say, the job is def not in Lakewood where they are desparate to hire!

watergirl

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 1:52 pm
STMommy wrote:
They are trying to use you for information to see how you would solve the problem, which is one they're currently experiencing, then ask you in the subsequent "interview" for all the details about how you completed the project, and then they'll have what they need. You'll hear back from them that they're not looking to continue with the interview process because in reality you were just there to be taken advantage of.

I agree with this. Have you reaearched the company? Are they legit? What type of work is this?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:25 pm
They are legit. They're a non profit and have a high rating on charity navigator. Not Jewish (I know somebody's going to ask). I just think this sounds super excessive, especially for a low level postion. I have another interview with a different organization tomorrow. Nothing else in the pipeline for now, thougg I've applied to so many. The whole process in general is really getting me down, and to find out that I have to go through all these hoops for something that's not that impressive has me wanting to slam my head into my desk Mad Mad Mad

self-actualization

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:26 pm
I had an interview once like this, for a law job. First they gave me a project that took a few hours to complete. It turns out that the whole job would be doing projects like that one (reviewing loan agreements). I did the project and I never heard back from them. B"H I got a better job afterward.

Probably whatever "project" they want you to do is exactly what you would be doing on the job (e.g. writing copy for their website, promoting them on social media, etc).

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:31 pm
It doesn't sound normal and it sounds like the boss would be a pain to work for if they're this obsessive about the hiring process. I would stay away...

5*Mom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
They are legit. They're a non profit and have a high rating on charity navigator. Not Jewish (I know somebody's going to ask). I just think this sounds super excessive, especially for a low level postion. I have another interview with a different organization tomorrow. Nothing else in the pipeline for now, thougg I've applied to so many. The whole process in general is really getting me down, and to find out that I have to go through all these hoops for something that's not that impressive has me wanting to slam my head into my desk Mad Mad Mad

I've read about companies doing this to get free work and free information/ideas from the interviewees, then not hiring anyone. Of course I don't know that that's what's going on here but it might be something to be aware of.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:37 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I've read about companies doing this to get free work and free information/ideas from the interviewees, then not hiring anyone. Of course I don't know that that's what's going on here but it might be something to be aware of.

this happened to me. I interviewed with someone and he asked me to work on formulating what my job description would be and then I presented it to him and he said "this is really helpful. thanks so much, it's going to really help me when I hire someone." at the time, I was so confused and thought somehow I was in the wrong but a few days later I realized that he totally took advantage of me and knew what he was doing.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 2:41 pm
Years ago I applied for a job as a legislative policy analyst. It was an in state promotional track. I was mailed a piece of 'proposed' legislation (not the complete bill) and asked to conform it and return it 7 days prior to a panel interview. (All candidates got the same bill and were interviewed by the same panel.) The interview questions for all candidates were the same but could be applied to the process any of the analysts used. It took me 2.5 hours to complete the assignment.

I could not imagine a four hour interview or project.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:05 pm
10 years ago when I interviewed for my current job - software engineer - starting salary was 50K.

Came in for one interview with manager.

Was given test to complete at home - about 1 - 2 hours. Some math and analyzing and logic.

Came if for another interview with senior managers.

Final interview with other programmers.

but each interview was probably 1 hour or less. I can't imagine what you would discuss for 4 hours.

At one point we had a manager who had all engineers give an in-person test to the interview - like a panel. He sat in the middle and we all sat around him. It was probably one the most uncomfortable and meanest thing I ever did. Weirdest part was we were given topics to ask questions on and some were out of my knowledge - so I had to google questions and answers. I hope no one ever does that to me.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:08 pm
I'm not as familiar with non profits but I can believe it. I know for big corporations like Google or Bloomberg that would be a pretty standard interview process. They want someone who knows what they're doing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics