Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this normal for $40k entry level job??
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:11 pm

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:13 pm
STMommy wrote:
They are trying to use you for information to see how you would solve the problem, which is one they're currently experiencing, then ask you in the subsequent "interview" for all the details about how you completed the project, and then they'll have what they need. You'll hear back from them that they're not looking to continue with the interview process because in reality you were just there to be taken advantage of.

This is what the very good "Ask a Manager" website usually says when people ask this kind of question.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:18 pm
Thing is, I've had to do tests or writing samples or mini projects, all an hour or so. Not a project that would take up most of my day! And while I couldn't tell you anything about Bloomberg or Google, this isn't that sort of job. It's not particularly skilled. I've had more senior and skilled positions and did not have to go through this sort of thing. I guess I'll think about it over Shabbos whether to continue with this. Hopefully tomorrow will go well. I need something to come through, job hunting is making me very depressed.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not as familiar with non profits but I can believe it. I know for big corporations like Google or Bloomberg that would be a pretty standard interview process. They want someone who knows what they're doing.

I interviewed in Bloomberg (about 10 years ago so things might have changed), and was given nothing of the sort. I interviewed with HR, manager, and technical team. The technical team gave me a few problems to code, but it was a few minutes worth of work each. The whole interview process was a few hours in one day.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not as familiar with non profits but I can believe it. I know for big corporations like Google or Bloomberg that would be a pretty standard interview process. They want someone who knows what they're doing.

I don't know about google but many years ago I went to a job fair with some friends. The manager from Bloomberg we met there, was so tough and unpleasant, that we were all commiserating about speaking to her in the car on the way back. None of us ended up submitting resumes there.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 3:50 pm
amother wrote:
I interviewed in Bloomberg (about 10 years ago so things might have changed), and was given nothing of the sort. I interviewed with HR, manager, and technical team. The technical team gave me a few problems to code, but it was a few minutes worth of work each. The whole interview process was a few hours in one day.

It might depend on the team you are interviewing for. This was for a job that required special skills (software engineer).

My brother works there and loves it. Amazing benefits package.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 4:01 pm
I once interviewed for a job as editor for a major medical publisher. First I submitted a writing sample to their specifications, then a panel interview. But this was a higher level job. I ended up turning it down because I wanted to stay in clinical practice.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 4:06 pm
I once interviewed for a social service nonprofit organization. They asked me about where I would do outreach, advertise etc and gave them some great ideas. Got turned down for the job and feel used. I gave them really good info and they just took it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics