Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
LITTLE GEMS & SHRIMP SALAD WITH THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:59 pm
Did the treif in the recipe title scare anyone LOL LOL I used for a chicken salad and the dressing was really delicious. Well worth the little bit of effort and it stores well. I would think it would just be good to elevate a plain chicken or turkey sandwich - maybe with some coleslaw on a substantial ciabatta roll. Confused

LITTLE GEMS & SHRIMP SALAD WITH THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

Excerpt From: Tanya Holland - Brown Sugar Kitchen: New-Style, Down-Home Recipes from Sweet West Oakland

SERVES 4

If you can’t find Little Gems, substitute romaine lettuce. You want a hearty green that can hold this thick, chunky dressing. I like the addition of shrimp in this salad, which turns it into a main course. At the restaurant, our smoker is always going, so we cook the shrimp in it to give the salad another layer of flavor. You can do the same at home, with a gas or charcoal grill, if you like. Many of us grew up with the bottled Thousand Island dressing, which seems quite mundane until you make it from scratch—then it becomes divine.

THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

1 egg
1/2 CUP/115 G mayonnaise
2 TBSP chili sauce, such as Heinz
1 TBSP sweet pickle relish
1 green onion, white part only, chopped
1 TBSP finely chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
1 TSP chopped fresh parsley
1/8 TSP cayenne pepper
1/8 TSP smoked paprika
1/8 TSP garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
8 OZ/225 G medium shrimp
4 HEADS Little Gems lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces

To make the dressing: In a small saucepan, cover the egg with cold water and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, cover the pan, turn off the heat, and let stand for 7 minutes. Drain and rinse the egg with cold water. Peel and chop the egg.

In a small bowl, combine the chopped egg, mayonnaise, chili sauce, pickle relish, green onion, olives, parsley, cayenne, paprika, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. (To make ahead, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.)

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the shrimp until opaque, about 2 minutes. Drain and let cool. Peel the shrimp and remove the dark vein that runs down the back.

Arrange the lettuce on a chilled serving platter and top with the shrimp. Pour the dressing over all. Serve immediately.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:20 pm
Frankly I'm surprised that shrimp isn't on the censored list. But seriously what are 'little gems'.

naomi2

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:29 pm
Baby gem lettuce- a tiny version of romaine lettuce heads

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:32 pm
I was wondering as well whether it would turn into asterisks:-)

As other poster wrote, Little Gems are a variant of romaine but as the cookbook author wrote, you can sub romaine but you don't want mesclun type of soft greens.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
I was wondering as well whether it would turn into asterisks:-)

As other poster wrote, Little Gems are a variant of romaine but as the cookbook author wrote, you can sub romaine but you don't want mesclun type of soft greens.

TY. I can see how a heavy chunky dressing of this type would work well with a sturdy green like romaine.

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:42 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
TY. I can see how a heavy chunky dressing of this type would work well with a sturdy green like romaine.

Or works well as a jazzed up dressing where you might otherwise use plain mayo

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 9:00 pm
You can make this with kosher mock shrimp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics