Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Making soup now! Can I use pillowcase instead vegetables bag

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:13 pm
I don't have the mesh bag for fresh. parsley. TIA

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:25 pm
I don't see how a pillow case will fit into your pot without impacting your soup.

pizza4

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:28 pm
LOL
Can you put the parsley in as is and take it out when it's finished cooking.

Last edited by pizza4 on Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't see how a pillow case will fit into your pot without impacting your soup.

Not to mention the leftover taste of laundry soap and softener. Confused

Why can't you just tie it in a tight bundle with some string or thread? Even a laundry garment bag would be more practical than a pillowcase.

OR, you could just chop the parsley up really fine, throw it in, and leave it there.

penguin

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:32 pm
I strain my chicken soup through an old pillowcase all the time. However, I use only Free and Clear detergent so I'm not concerned about
Quote:
leftover taste of laundry soap and softener

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:35 pm
I never use mesh bags. Just put it straight into the soup and remove after. Your post made me laugh. You must be really creative!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:35 pm
I think I can't put fresh parsley straight in the pot unless I put it in a mesh bag.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:37 pm
I don't use parsley in my soup but I was taught that herbs that need to be checked (fresh parsley for example) should not be put directly into the pot.

ETA unless you check them obviously....

Last edited by cnc on Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

penguin

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:37 pm
If you're talking about bugs I was told to rinse parsley in a light colored bowl & check if a/t in the water. You may find more info on StarK website.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:38 pm
Maybe you have a really clean pair of hose that you can cut off a little bag from to knot. Otherwise, check the parsley with star-k.org instruction or skip the herbs.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:47 pm
cnc wrote:
I don't use parsley in my soup but I was taught that herbs that need to be checked (fresh parsley for example) should not be put directly into the pot.

ETA unless you check them obviously....

If that's the case I don't see how a mesh bag would be sufficient. The vegetable bags have pretty big holes in comparison to the insects.

I would think if it's buggy and not checked, that you just don't use it. We learn something new every day

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:50 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
If that's the case I don't see how a mesh bag would be sufficient. The vegetable bags have pretty big holes in comparison to the insects.

I would think if it's buggy and not checked, that you just don't use it. We learn something new every day

No. The bag used for the vegetables is not the same one that is used for the herbs. The ones for the herbs are opaque and made specially for that, I'll see if I can find a picture.

pizza4

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:53 pm
I use the ready chopped parsley... I don't use it so often so don't buy the fresh parsley sprigs.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:59 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

https://www.breadberry.com/#!/hb/c/10397-0/c/10435-10397/c/10627-10435/pn/2/s/1/r/10122/he/Brooklyn/kosher-household/kosher-baking-cooking/kosher-bags/liebers-sack-n-boil-3-pk

macadamia

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:13 pm
Cut a very old pillow case in 4. A quarter is enough and rubber band or string. This sack and boil green packaging is greeeeatttt. But out of stock this month.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:25 pm
macadamia wrote:
Cut a very old pillow case in 4. A quarter is enough and rubber band or string. This sack and boil green packaging is greeeeatttt. But out of stock this month.

Are you actually looking to purchase it? I saw it on gourmetglattonline.com too...

Elizabeth W

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:41 am
Use parsley cubes! & put all spices in a coffee filter tied with a twist tie! that's what I do!
I use frozen garlic cubes also...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen