Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Reading question for mothers of young kids
1  2  Next

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:24 am
Please answer honestly:
If you were reading a Jewish book to your child between age 3 and 7 would you prefer to read the English version of a city or name or a transliterated version of the Hebrew name.
A good example would be the city of Bavel.
Would you rather read it to your kid as Babylonia or Bavel?
Persia or Paras?
Pharaoh or Paroh?
Egypt or Mitzrayim?

Please also include your affiliation with your answer (MO, chasidish, lubavitch, yeshivish, etc)

Also, Im looking for someone who would like to review and critique a childrens book and give honest feedback.
Must be a mother of children between 3 and 7 and must have a good command of language. PM me if you are interested! Thanks!

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:27 am
Definitely Bavel, Moshe etc
To me Babylon, Moses feels xtian.
I guess I'm kinda modox????? Outta the box.

avocadochoc

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:28 am
I pronounce it the Hebrew way. Sephardic

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:28 am
I would rather read it in the Hebrew like paaroh and not Pharaoh . The other way sounds like it's from the Bible.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:58 am
I'm probably not your target because I buy yiddish children's books, but I would definitely prefer the heimish pronounciation over the anglicized version.

I'm chassidish

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:17 am
I would prefer the Hebrew version.. Chasidish

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:30 am
RW MO. I prefer the Hebrew as well. If I'm reading a book with the English word or name I'll usually say the Hebrew.

naomi2

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 7:46 am
Jpf from brooklyn-I prefer the Hebrew way, its more jewish soundong. The children relate more to that anyway.
Who is your target audience?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:38 am
another jpf and the hebrew way. When I read a book, I read it the hebrew way even if it's written the other way.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:41 am
Rutabaga wrote:
I prefer the Hebrew as well. If I'm reading a book with the English word or name I'll usually say the Hebrew.

same here. I'm chassidish.

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:44 am
Yeshivish
regular pronunciation (pahroh....moshe...)

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:44 am
I prefer the Hebrew version, as my kids don't always know what the English version is referring to and then I'll have to say the Hebrew version anyway.

I am a Jew, don't know how to classify myself beyond that.

Brownies

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:49 am
So at first I thought, definitely the Hebrew way and for something like Bavel/Babylon or Moshe/Moses or any other personal names from Tanach I would certainly go with the Hebrew. However with other words I'm not so sure. I'm pretty neutral with regards to Egyptians or Mitzri'im, and I would probably go for Greeks rather than Yevanim (and what would the equivalent be for Romans? Edomim? I don't think I've ever heard the word used in that context). I am jpf.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:58 am
Yeshivish and a former mother of young kids. Or a mother of formerly young kids Tongue Out But I still have occasion to read to young kids and I go with Hebrew. There's a cute book that came out last year, published by a frum publisher but it seems that it's also been marketed broadly because it has the English names, e.g. Egypt, and it doesn't read well.
Maybe, if you want to market it broadly, have a glossary?

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:02 am
Hebrew version my kids learn about bavel in school etc. when they are older and read other things Egypt and Babylon is fine. lubavitch- Persia though I don't recall hearing paras often.

flmommy

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:05 am
I agree with everyone above about using Paroh instead of pharaoh etc. I would be happy to read the book. I have children within the age range you requested.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:22 am
Anything from tanach and names in Hebrew. Any places or nations after in that language.
The roman and Greek rulers who oppressed the Jews in the names the Gemara uses, but call them Greek or roman, not yevoni or rumani.
Call it Spain, not sefarad.

I hope this makes sense.

As everyone agrees, as you would normally talk.

(I'd be happy to edit!)

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:31 am
Hebrew. We are MO. Our kids' elementary school is a mix of MO, JPF, yeshivish, and Chabad, so the pronunciations used is Ashkenazi Hebrew.

lfab

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:35 am
I consider myself JPF with connections to a yeshiva community/lifestyle. I would prefer the Hebrew word in Jewish books as that is what my children would be more familiar with.

behappy2

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:41 am
Hebrew version. We are middle of the road. Frum. Some chasidish and yeshivish leanings.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room