Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shopping on Friday in Meah Shearim and Machane Yehuda

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 4:24 am
We will be coming to Israel in January and want to give out kids the "experience" of Erev Shabbos in these areas even if we don't buy all that much. With Shabbos starting so early, what time would be the ideal time to go? How early do the stores open/close? Any store that you would say is a "must see?"
Thank you

water_bear88

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:01 am
Thursday late afternoon and early evening are good for Machane Yehuda- fairly equivalent to Friday. Otherwise, the shuk is definitely bustling by 10 (at the latest) Friday morning.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:10 am
Thanks. What time would you say things start to close down on a winter Friday?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:23 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. What time would you say things start to close down on a winter Friday?

Things will generally shut down two hours before Shabbat.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 7:55 am
Thanks. What time does everything open? Any stores we should be sure to see? In Meah Shearim/ Geula which streets aside from Malchei Yisrael should we walk down? I so appreciate the help, we haven't been in years.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 8:22 am
I went recently with my family. We had a longer Friday.

We spent one full day walking the main street from Geula into Meah Sheorim. There is Uri's pizza for lunch, plenty of interesting shops like the woodworking shop in Meah Sheorim. There are amazing bakeries in Meah Sheorim, Brooklyn bakery and one next door to the wood shop. From there we walked to Yaffo for dinner. You can take a train from there.

We spent one friday in the shuk. There is the closed shuk which is a fun experience and the open shuk next door which is more relaxing.

If you have young kids then it may be to much to do in one day.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
We will be coming to Israel in January and want to give out kids the "experience" of Erev Shabbos in these areas even if we don't buy all that much. With Shabbos starting so early, what time would be the ideal time to go? How early do the stores open/close? Any store that you would say is a "must see?"
Thank you

IMNSHO, I wouldn't take kids to Mechane Yehuda erev Shabbat. When we went there, it was a madhouse. You could barely move, and people were ... well, being Israeli. Nothing wrong with that, but for tourist kids, it would be a bit much. Unless you actually need to shop, go another time.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 4:31 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO, I wouldn't take kids to Mechane Yehuda erev Shabbat. When we went there, it was a madhouse. You could barely move, and people were ... well, being Israeli. Nothing wrong with that, but for tourist kids, it would be a bit much. Unless you actually need to shop, go another time.

A good point. Thank you. I wanted to go on Friday because we are busy with tours during the week. What time do the stores close during the week? Does it make more sense to go in the evening? Does daylight make a difference?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics