Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Haircut misery

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 11:17 am
My 3 years hates haircuts (oddly, he was totally fine at his upsherin, it's just every haircut since then has been upsetting for him). He squirms, cries, just doesn't want it. I try to wait as long as possible, but his hair grows fast (he was one of those with hair to his tush by his 3rd birthday). The barber offers candy, I let him play with my phone for the duration, which helps, but he still sobs through the whole thing. Any other ideas?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:31 pm
He may have sensory issues.
Try brushing his head with a stiff bristled brush everyday to make his head less sensitive.

animeme

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 6:02 pm
Yes to sensory.

If the barber uses clippers, have him switch to scissors only. Also, don't face hiking toward the mirror unless he insists. And think about what he's wearing. A turtleneck can help keep little hairs from settling on the neck and invading under his shirt.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 6:19 pm
Thanks. I know he's sensory, he has a lot of sensory behaviors, but he doesn't qualify for services. I will try those ideas, so thanks.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 6:28 pm
As a mom of a kid who didn't qualify so I didn't do the OT and now he's a teenager who can barely stand to shave, I say this: get the OT anyway.

Check your insurance- a lot of plans pay for a certain number of OT sessions a year. If you need to spread them out, be extra vigilant about doing the homework the therapist gives you. Now is the time to do it. If you wait like we did, it takes way longer and is less effective.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers