Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sleeping on stomach

Israeli

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:37 pm
Question for those that put their babies to sleep in their stomachs- do your babies spit up? I think my baby will sleep a lot better if I put him on his tummy but as soon as I try he spits up all over and then starts screaming. Am I doing something wrong??

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:48 pm
Don't do it so soon after he eats. Also burp him well.

Israeli

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:33 pm
So what do you do in middle of the night? I want to just feed him and put him back down

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:43 pm
For babies who spit up a lot, however you plan to put him down he has to be upright for about 20 min. I used to put them in a rocker or something At an angle and then back to slee later in the crib

gp2.0

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:44 pm
Israeli wrote:
So what do you do in middle of the night? I want to just feed him and put him back down

You have to burp him first. You can't just feed him and put him back down.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 7:47 pm
How old is this baby and is there a particular reason you think he will do better on his tummy?

987gold

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 8:58 pm
In middle of the night, at a certain point I stop burping my babies. If they split up I moved the child to a different part of the crib. Babies should not be spitting up an entire night. But each child is different. Try burping baby for 2 minutes. The burp may come faster than you think

ven

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:11 am
There is a strong advice against letting babies Sleep on their tummy in my country, literally nobody does it here out of fear of SIDs

Israeli

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:19 am
seeker wrote:
How old is this baby and is there a particular reason you think he will do better on his tummy?

He is 6 weeks and has reflux so can't settle to sleep on his back. Most nights he ends up sleeping tummy down on me so I figured this is at least a little safer

Esther23

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:25 am
If he spits up then side sleeping is best so that he's not laying into it while stomach sleeping or choking on it while back sleeping. I lie them on their side and put a burping cloth or a thin receiving blanket right behind them to keep them slightly tilted to their side.

perquacky

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 10:20 am
Did you ask your pediatrician what he/she recommends? Most doctors will tell you not to put your baby to sleep on their stomach. I think there are bolsters you can buy to support your baby if you're told to put him to bed on his side. Please ask a professional for advice!

momaleh

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:48 am
At that age I put them to sleep in a car seat - great for reflux. Also not recommended by drs. I was terrible, they were such bad sleepers the only way I could get any sleep at all was to put them in a car seat or on their tummies. If you put him to sleep on his tummy, put a fan on in the room, it is supposed to help protect against SIDS. Good luck!

mille

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 5:14 pm
Don't put baby to sleep on belly before they can roll onto their belly by themselves. This is a HUGE SIDS risk. It does NOT help with reflux. Back to sleep does not cause aspirating spit up, it is so so so much safer.

Please see this link: https://www.healthychildren.or......aspx

And the rest of healthychildren.org. The AAP strongly, strongly recommends back to sleep. The ABCs of sleep are so important to keep in mind - Alone (no toys, bumpers, blankets, or people in bed with baby), Back to sleep, in a Crib or bassinet (flat firm surface)

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:56 pm
I've heard good reviews on the Fisher Price Rock n Play sleeper (I think that's the one...) for babies who need to be tilted up due to reflux but the car seat position is supposed to be not good for them. I"m sure there are detractors to the rock-n-plays as well but it seems very possibly the best alternative for when you just can't have it all. Lying on the stomach could put pressure on a sensitive stomach too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics