Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Zika virus - is it okay to travel to Orlando?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:30 am
Does anyone know anything about Zika and Florida? I heard that CDC said it's safe to travel to Orlando now. Is this true?

MommyM

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:35 am
Yes. Orlando is not near the affected areas.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:16 am
But is it true that the CDC said that it is now safe to travel to Miami?

m in Israel

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:45 am
Are you asking about Miami or Orlando? You do realize that the distance between the two is more than the distance between Brooklyn and Washington, DC, for example? IOW they really are completely different questions.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:50 am
I want to go to Orlando but I would feel safer if Miami was cleared too. The distance is only four hours it's not so far away.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:18 am
m in Israel wrote:
Are you asking about Miami or Orlando? You do realize that the distance between the two is more than the distance between Brooklyn and Washington, DC, for example? IOW they really are completely different questions.

That reminds me of the time I went to Orlando over winter break with some college friends and my grandmother found out that I was going to be in Florida and got so insulted that I wasn't planning on visiting her in Miami. I ended up having to take a train from Orlando to Miami so I could spend shabbos with her and switch my plane ticket to go home.

My grandmother is a snowbird from Canada and doesn't quite grasp the distances involved.

MommyM

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
I want to go to Orlando but I would feel safer if Miami was cleared too. The distance is only four hours it's not so far away.

Not all Miami is cleared, but they have cleared areas within Miami. The health department is trying to control it so it shouldn't spread. I grew up in Florida, and yes Orlando is quite a distance from Miami that it shouldn't be a problem.

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:41 am
If you are pregnant or thinking of ttc in the near future, you should check with your OB before going there.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 10:02 am
I am not pregnant nor do I plan on getting pregnant for at least two and a half years. But I do have little kids.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 10:10 am
If you are not planning on getting pregnant any time soon then you sure can go! Zika is harmful for the fetus, not little kids.

MK3

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 7:19 am
ask your doctor, but either way, I would spray myself with mosquito repellent. don't risk it. it stinks but it helps. and make sure you are covered as much as possible.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:51 pm
I went to Florida in my first trimester. We stayed in ft. Lauderdale with a few days in Orlando. I am 23 weeks along. Everything looked great on the anatomy scan. So I would say Orlando is perfectly safe. I don't know about Miami.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:56 pm
I just read that Gov. Walker said the whole state of Florida is now officially zika free.
I would probably go to Orlando in your situation.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:25 pm
The governor always denied that there was Zika in Miami and only admitted it when the CDC made a statement and he knew about it before because he only cares about Florida and tourism and he doesn't want to lose that. I really want to know what the CDC says.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics