Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Eat Your Veggies!
1  2  Next

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:19 pm
My 2 year old son will not eat vegetables. I've tried in all the forms I can think of, even pumpkin muffins. He won't dip raw sticks in dressing. He doesn't like blended soups. He once had a bit, but not enough or consistently enough. I tried an omelette and that also didn't go. I made veggetable latkes today and he tasted a bit, but not more. He asked to go to the park so I said eat the 2 tiny pieces on his plate and we'll go. He wouldn't touch it. It's like he was afraid. I waited like an hour and then made him a ketchup/cheese toasted sandwich so he wouldn't be starving. He's 2 so it's not like he'll understand "Oh if I don't eat then I'll be hungry." He'll just be up all night asking for milk and crying.

He loves plain pasta. If I put anything on it (cheese/sauce/veggies), he won't eat that either. I was thinking I could make his favorite toasted pizza sandwich with sauce instead of ketchup, and then I could add squash or something into the sauce, but there's such a bit on the sandwich it doesn't even seem worth it. Does anyone have any idea what might work? He's been like this for like a year already. As a baby he ate everything. Then he just started refusing anything veggie. I'm up for recipes and general tips. Thanks!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:26 pm
I wish I had advice for you but I wanted to say I'm in your exact situation and it hasn't improved. My son is 6 and still won't touch vegetables. I've tried everything and the only thing that did work is pureed soups and pumpkin muffins.
Will he eat applesauce? My son did until about 3 then started refusing it too.
I think its a sensory thing.

The most important thing is to give him vitamins so he doesn't become deficient. Otherwise you'd be surprised that you don't need vegetables as much as you think you do.
Also try to find alternative sources of fiber for him or he'll be always constipated.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:57 pm
Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook that is recipes disguising veggies for children. I think I also have another one with the same idea.

If you give me some idea of what he will eat, I can give you some recipes. He eats pizza with sauce but nit pasta with sauce?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:58 pm
Yes, he eats pizza with sauce and cheese but pasta only plain. If I say "Come have pasta," he runs, but if there's something on it he gets all sadly disappointed and won't touch it. He actually loves fruit, so that's not an issue.

He eats baked chicken (prefers without much sauce), breaded shnitzel, pancakes made with cottage cheese (not sweet), fried eggs, hard-boiled eggs, plain yogurt, cornflakes with milk, pizza sandwich with ketchup and cheese, pita topped with ketchup and cheese, rice cakes with cream cheese, fruit.

Oh, he actually does eat chicken soup with veggies on Friday night sometimes and cholent sometimes at Shabbos lunch. And he recently ate plain baked fish. He tends to like stuff plain rather than with sweet sauces.

Geedeeay

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:03 pm
#I feel for you!! My daughter used to eat everything!! Now she eats no veggies at all!! Potato is pushing it. She loves ketchup tho. Yesterday she sat for 2 hours at dinner because she wouldnt eat meatballs with tiny cooked and cant even see onions!! Was about ready to pull my hair out!!!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:16 pm
If he eats fruit then don't worry so much about the veggies. Keep offering them so they don't become a strange food to him but don't force him to eat.

Soup veggies are great! You can give him soup every night as part of his dinner instead of only Friday nights. If he won't touch blended soups then try chunky ones like mushroom barley or minestrone.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:22 pm
Scrambled Eggs (WITH CAULIFLOWER)

Excerpt From: Jessica Seinfeld. “Deceptively Delicious.

The cauliflower puree simply “melts” into the fluffy eggs.

Prep: 3 minutes • Total: 6 minutes • Serves 2
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites
¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
½ cup cauliflower puree
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Pinch of salt
Nonstick cooking spray
1 teaspoon olive oil

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg “whites, sour cream, cauliflower puree, Parmesan, and salt.

2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, then set the pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil. Add the egg mixture, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently with a silicone spatula, until the eggs are scrambled—firm but nice and moist—2 to 3 minutes.

Joy: Hidden cauliflower puree provides kids with half of the daily value for vitamin C. With more than 19 grams of protein per serving, these scrambled eggs pack a powerful protein punch!

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:23 pm
Chicken Nuggets (WITH BROCCOLI OR SPINACH OR SWEET POTATO OR BEET)

I don’t know any kid who doesn’t like chicken nuggets. Just don’t tell them what’s hidden inside!

Prep: 10 minutes • Total: 20 minutes • Serves 4 • Packable

1 cup whole-wheat, white, or panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
½ cup flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan (omit)
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 cup broccoli or spinach or sweet potato or beet puree
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders, rinsed, dried, and cut into small chunks
½ teaspoon salt
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil

1. In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic, and onion powder on the paper or foil, and mix well with your fingers.

2. In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.

3. Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.

4. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Then turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut into a piece to check that it’s cooked through.) Serve warm.
Variations

FISH NUGGETS:

Use 1 pound skinless, boneless salmon, tilapia, or other wild-caught mild fish, cut into small chunks, in place of the chicken. Coat and cook the fish exactly as you would the chicken, but reduce the cooking time to 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Joy: When you make these nuggets with broccoli, your child will get the same amount of calcium as in 4 ounces of milk, plus more than 100% the daily value for vitamin C—particularly important for kids, since vitamin C may protect against colds and can help heal cuts and scrapes.”

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:26 pm
At least it's healthier than commercial ketchup.

Homemade Ketchup (WITH CARROT)

Excerpt From: Jessica Seinfeld. “Deceptively Delicious.” iBooks.

Doesn’t every kid love ketchup?

Prep: 5 minutes • Total: 25 minutes • Makes 1 cup

1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
½ cup carrot puree
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon firmly packed light or dark brown sugar (optional)
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste

1. Stir all the ingredients together in a big saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture has reduced by about half, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.

2. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze in ¼-cup amounts in zipper-lock snack bags for up to 3 months.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:27 pm
Deviled Eggs (WITH CAULIFLOWER OR CARROT)

This revamped classic looks and tastes just like the original, but it’s so much better for your kids.

Prep and serve: 25 minutes • Serves 6 • Packable

6 large eggs
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
¼ cup cauliflower or carrot puree
1/8 teaspoon salt
pepper and paprika to taste and for presentation (optional)

1. Place the eggs in a saucepan and add cold water to cover. Set the saucepan over high heat, cover, and bring the water to a boil. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and let stand, still covered, for “exactly 15 minutes. Drain the eggs, cool under cold running water, and peel.

2. Cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks. Put three of the yolks in a bowl and discard the rest (or save for another meal).

3. Add the mayonnaise, vegetable puree, and salt, and mash together with a fork.

4. Fill each egg half with the yolk mixture.”

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:28 pm
Buttered” Noodles (WITH YELLOW SQUASH)

Simple buttered noodles make most kids very happy. In this version, they’re getting their veggies, too.

Prep: 5 minutes • Total: 25 minutes • Serves 4 • No meat
8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, angel hair, or other pasta
½ cup yellow squash puree
¼ cup nonfat (skim) milk
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
¼ teaspoon salt

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.

2. Drain, return the pasta to the warm pot, and stir in the squash puree (make sure the puree is very creamy), milk, margarine, Parmesan, and salt.

Jessica: To save time, while the pasta cooks, you can boil vegetables you may want to serve as a side dish, such as carrots or broccoli or string beans, in the pasta water.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:31 pm
Brownies (WITH CARROT AND SPINACH)

These brownies fool everyone! You won’t believe how scrumptious they are (or how good they are for you) until you make them yourself. Just don’t serve them warm—it’s not until they’re completely cool that the spinach flavor totally disappears.

Prep: 15 minutes • Total: 55 minutes • Makes 12 brownies • Packable

Nonstick cooking spray
3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
½ cup carrot puree
½ cup spinach puree
½ cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
¾ cup oat flour, or all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame. (I melt in the microwave)

3. In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.

4. Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.

5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.

Joy: These brownies are low in calories (only 133 per brownie) and saturated fat. They’re also packed with 3 grams of fiber (which is just crazy for a brownie!), while spinach and carrots provide two powerful antioxidants that help your kids’ eyes stay healthy.

lora

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 3:41 pm
you can try making it into an activity, sit down with him at the table and cut up the fresh veggies together then use them to make different crafts such as faces, cars or anything you can think of, then slowly distract some into his mouth. if he doesn't like the taste sprinkle some salt or condiments onto the veggies. good luck

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 4:15 pm
WOW, THANK YOU!!!

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 4:29 pm
Do you need recipes for the vegetable purees?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 5:05 pm
Amarante wrote:
Do you need recipes for the vegetable purees?

Do you just boil vegetables and then blend them? That's what I've tried so far... but not in all of the forms you posted. I've done pumpkin but I'm thinking butternut squash or sweet potato might give a bit of sweetness, too, which might go over well.

The thing is some of these recieps have such a bit of vegetable, is it really worth so much nutrition-wise? And they keep talking about protein and Vitamin C, which he gets from fruit and cheese/eggs/chicken. Does that mean he's really not lacking so much, or is it just the easiest things for them to list even though veggies have much more that fruit don't?

Thank you again though. Some of these look good enough to try even if they don't give so much extra- like why not put something in if you can?

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 5:30 pm
I'll post a few of the purees to give you a sense.

I think the idea is that every bit helps and how much food is a two year old eating anyway.

If you can get a serving of veggies in including the fiber where otherwise here would be nine, why not.

There are recipes that contain much more veggies but it's easier to disguise in chile or soups etc. I posted the recipes for the ines that aren't so obvious and are harder for the kid to suspect like the buttered noodles with squash or the eggs with purée.

ETA and of course some like the recipes for ketchup and brownies are taking nutritioniusly worthless foods and turning them into foods that contain nutrients. If he likes the ketchup, you would then be feeding him food instead of sugar which is what commercial ketchup is. Similarly the brownies would be better to eat than regular baked goods even if just containing increments especially if you jade with oat flour instead of wheat flour.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:55 pm
No - generally they are roasted which gives a better flavors. Boiling vegetables is also not a healthy way to cook as many of the water soluble vitamins go in the water and are lost unless you are eating the water like a soup or a broth. Did you mean steaming the veggies which is a better way to preserve vitamins. I steam my veggies in the microwave as it is the easiest way to cook them if I need plain steamed veggies for some reason.

Here are some purees. If you need specific veggie, let me know.

Beets

Prep: Leave them whole (trim any stems to 1 inch) and unpeeled.

Cook: Wrap in aluminum foil and roast at 400°F for about 1 hour (they’re done when they can be pierced with tip of a sharp “knife).

Puree: After peeling, place in a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes.

Broccoli

Prep: Cut into florets.

Cook: Steam for 6 to 7 minutes. Florets should be tender but still bright green (if they turn an olive green color, they’re overcooked).

Puree: In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes. Add a few teaspoons of water if needed for a smooth, creamy texture.

Butternut Squash

Prep: Cut off the stem, cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds.

Cook: Roast the halves on a cookie sheet, flesh-side down, at 400°F for 45 to 50 minutes.

Puree: Scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes.

Carrots
Prep: Peel, trim the ends, and cut into 3-inch chunks.

Cook: Steam for 10 to 12 minutes.

Puree: In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, with a few teaspoons of water if needed for a smooth texture.

Cauliflower
Prep: Cut off florets and discard core.

Cook: Steam for 8 to 10 minutes.

Puree: In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, with a few teaspoons of water if needed for a smooth, creamy texture.

Peas

Prep: None at all for frozen peas!

Cook: Steam frozen peas for about 2 minutes; if thawed, reduce steaming time to 30 to 60 seconds.

Puree: In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, until very smooth and creamy. Add water if necessary.

Sweet Potatoes

Prep: Do not peel. Cut into quarters, if steaming. Leave whole, if roasting.

Cook: Steam for 40 to 45 minutes. Roast at 400°F for 50 to 60 minutes.

Puree: Scoop out the flesh and puree in a food processor or blender.

Zucchini and Summer Squash
Prep: Trim off the ends and cut into 1-inch pieces.

Cook: Steam for 6 to 8 minutes.

Puree: In a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, until smooth

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:22 am
My kids eat everything from raw meat to veggies - then school starts and it's all about sugar and carbs lol. I like to think they still have a diverse palette and will grow back to it.

MyUsername

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:10 pm
You can make cottage cheese pancakes with vegetable puree too. Even a little bit goes a long way.

Also, zucchini bead or carrot bread can be presented as cake. This works well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics