Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old doesn't want to get dressed in the morning

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:32 pm
See title.
My 2 year old has been fighting terribly recently about getting dressed in the morning. He's fine getting into PJs at night.
I give him choices like now or in 5 minutes, this shirt or that one and he refuses to choose. He does choose other things.
He wants to be put in a diaper but then run around naked except for the diaper.
Any ideas?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:58 pm
My 2 year old was like that for a few weeks... I tried distracting him, reading stories, bribing him with a treat. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Either way, I got him dressed and he soon stopped crying. Now he doesn't put up a fuss; today he even asked me to get him dressed (can you put a shirt on my stomach, he asked me!)

tf

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:00 pm
Sometimes 2 yr olds need the firm hand in terms of "NO, it's time to get dressed regardless of how much you are going to bicker",and sometimes they need to do it all by themselves to feel like a big kid. It really depends, and isn't something that there's a definite right or wrong, especially if the whole picture isn't clear.

behappy2

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 5:38 pm
Does he have sensory issues? Pajamas are more comfortable than clothing.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:29 pm
He probably enjoys the attention he gets by misbehaving instead of listening (my 3 year old does this with getting dressed). Try a sticker chart? If that doesn't work, try a bribe of chocolate chips to get you started and then switch to a sticker chart once he's doing it nicely for the chocolate chips.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:59 pm
Is there a reason he has to get dressed? Is he home with you or going to school?

At two my son would only dress himself. I have the cutest picture on my fridge of him in the most clashing clothes possible (including a clip on tie). It is not what I would have dressed him in for school but I like to choose my battles...

(Anon because many people have seen this pic over the years!)

OutATowner

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:00 pm
I dress my 2 year old the night before! Granted, if it's a denim skirt I'll wait, but usually the biggest challenge is the shirt. So much easier.

abaker

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:36 pm
That's what I was going to say. Sometimes I will dress my toddler in his clothes at night. He doesn't like getting up early and getting dressed fast to leave for school. So if it is a late night I dress him in his clothes for the next day so it's only a quick diaper change in the morning.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 2:34 am
I know someone with a few kids who 2 of her boys didnt get out of pjs until they were probably almost 4. No joke. They went to gan in pjs etc. It was just not a battle worth fighting, as she said.
Is it truly important for a 2 year old to have to get dressed?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics