Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Formal sleeveless dress with kiki riki underneath
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:58 pm
jade wrote:
OK, I'll be the voice of dissent here. Spaghetti strap formal over a long-sleeve shirt can be a fashionable look if done right - not with a shell-type shirt, but with something more textured and interesting in its own right. I've even seen a strapless gown over a cashmere turtleneck in a contrasting color, pulled together with a patterned scarf. Like pattern-mixing, this can be hard to pull off. Even when done right, the resulting look will be more edgy fashionista than classic elegance. If you just want to look good in a way that does not particularly stand out, I second the advice of just getting a dress with long sleeves. It is winter now, and great dresses are available in many styles.

I understand what you are getting at here but that would be a whole other kind of look meant to be deliberately fashion forward and really would be hard for a typical woma to pull off and all components would have to be spot on or on fleek LOL LOL

But at least to me nothing says shlumpy frumpy frum as the typical strapless or low cut sleeveless formal with a shell on underneath so it is quite obvious one is wearing a shell underneath.

Also, in my experience, it seems to accentuate every lump or bump in the woman's body since the components are not a match made in heaven you should pardon the expression.

Perhaps people have gotten so used to this odd lol that they don't realize how weird and unflattering it actually looks.

Why not just get a beautifully cut formal gown that was intended and designed that way and look elegant anywhere you go. Go with a black one and you can wear on many occasions.

And why aren't people mentioning other options like fancy cocktail suits which by definition are modest. I have several beautiful satin jackets with embroidery that I wear over a simple black dress or skirt and black top. from my youth, I still have a gold leather jacket lol.

I also have a few lovely evening tops that are suitable for anything but the most formal ball gown type of occasion.

And for simpler fancy occasions, there are beautiful elegant long sleeve silk blouses that you can wear with a basic black skirt.

All of these avoid the ridiculous strapless or low cut dresss worn with a shell. I don't even understand why that look is considered to be modest because to me it accentuates the chest anyway.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:11 pm
jade wrote:
OK, I'll be the voice of dissent here. Spaghetti strap formal over a long-sleeve shirt can be a fashionable look if done right - not with a shell-type shirt, but with something more textured and interesting in its own right. I've even seen a strapless gown over a cashmere turtleneck in a contrasting color, pulled together with a patterned scarf. Like pattern-mixing, this can be hard to pull off. Even when done right, the resulting look will be more edgy fashionista than classic elegance. If you just want to look good in a way that does not particularly stand out, I second the advice of just getting a dress with long sleeves. It is winter now, and great dresses are available in many styles.

Its a jarring look.

Some people like dressing in deliberate contrasts, or jarring looks. They consider it to be "fashion forward." Maybe it is. But then, as you say, you need to make it look deliberate. Not like "I wish I could wear a strapless dress, but its not modest, so I'm going to shove a shell under it." This look was touted about a year ago.

I hate it. But I hate lots of things people wear. It doesn't make them unfashionable.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:20 pm
You had better be known as "fashion forward" and known for your "jarring look" in order to pull off the picture SixofWands showed. That to me is six ways of hideous. Much much better to look elegant in a simple silky blouse and long velvet skirt (or some other dressy material)
than look like you are trying way too hard. Unless of course that's your fashion-forward, edgy look the other 364 days a year too.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:52 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
You had better be known as "fashion forward" and known for your "jarring look" in order to pull off the picture SixofWands showed. That to me is six ways of hideous. Much much better to look elegant in a simple silky blouse and long velvet skirt (or some other dressy material)
than look like you are trying way too hard. Unless of course that's your fashion-forward, edgy look the other 364 days a year too.

I couldn't express it better.

I can't imagine any normal woman looking good in the outfit posted by BetsyTacy and the beautiful woman in the picture doesnt look good. It falls into he category of a Oman being so beautiful that she looks goo despite what she is wearing and I can't imagine the reception that outfit would get in any normal circles. Even very fashionable circles it would be considered to be an odd deliberate fashion statement.

I doubt very much whether anyone on. this Board is attempting that kind of look. Even the trendiest most in love with fashion would not go to a simcha in that outfit. I mean do disrespect because I see the fashion in the picture but that doesn't mean I like the aesthetics.

Actually I don't even like the styling that much because I think the blousy white blouse makes her look shlumpy. I remember seeing someone wearing something like this in a fashion magazine and thought it fugly then.

But as to the original question, buy formal outfits that are modestly designed and yes u don't have to create a weird Frankenstein concoction with a shell because nobody outside the frum world wears anything resembling that look.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
But why deliberately get a strapless if you are going to wear a shell

I don't mean to be offensive but it looks ridiculous to me.

Why not just get a modest dress that is designed that way and then I looks elegant instead of frumpy.

I don't think it looks frumpy at all. I don't mind if you think I look ridiculous. Smile

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its a jarring look.

Some people like dressing in deliberate contrasts, or jarring looks. They consider it to be "fashion forward." Maybe it is. But then, as you say, you need to make it look deliberate. Not like "I wish I could wear a strapless dress, but its not modest, so I'm going to shove a shell under it." This look was touted about a year ago.

I hate it. But I hate lots of things people wear. It doesn't make them unfashionable.

Ooh I like that look even if it does look a bit strange. Not all of us like to look elegant. Edgy strange is fine by me. Smile

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think it looks frumpy at all. I don't mind if you think I look ridiculous. Smile

Not to be snarky, but why in the world are you amother?

What could anyone possibly be afraid of in terms of offering an opinion and if you are fearless about public opinion in terms of not being afraid to look odd, why are you hesitant about actually stating so in a forum that is pretty anonymous anyway.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:00 am
I wore a formal, fitted, black sleeveless sheath dress with a grey/silver textured waterfall cardigan which came down almost to the length of the dress. better than a shell imo, though I have done that with another dress.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:38 am
Even kallot do it!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:43 am
jade wrote:

Yup! It's extremely fashionable now. People who are super on trend have been wearing slip dresses with a turtleneck or jumpers with shirts underneath.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHIyRy4BiO4/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4OqRZAkbf/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNh4lYRhdGK/

And here, even a strapless dress!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNaSTxmBUZp/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics