Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Real dishes or disposable
1  2  3  Next

Do you use real or disposable dishes during the week
mostly real - I have a dishwasher  
 25%  [ 58 ]
mostly real - I dont have a dishwasher  
 22%  [ 53 ]
mostly disposable - I have a dishwasher  
 20%  [ 48 ]
mostly disposable - I dont have a dishwasher  
 31%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 232

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:36 am
Do you use real or disposable dishes on Shabbos, during the week, how many kids do you have living at home and do you have a dishwasher.

I work full time and have three kids the oldest will be four soon. I dont have a dishwasher. On Shabbos I use paper dishes and real silverware. During the week its always disposable dishes and cutlery besides for chicken on the bone - than I use real cutlery. I just restocked my paper goods yesterday and man it was expensive!!!!! You cant put a price on sanity though Smile

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:59 am
We are a family of 6. We use real dishes 95% of the time because we have 2 dishwashers.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:10 pm
For weekdays breakfast lunch and snacks are disposable. Dinner is half and half.

Shabbos we use real china and serving dishes. Cups are currently disposable though.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:29 pm
4 kids, no dishwashers - weekday, all disposable.
Shabbat - it depends how I feel. If we use disposable it's the very fancy kind. The silver look cutlery and very hard plastic plates that look like china.

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:15 pm
How about "always real, I don't have a dishwasher". Or just "always real". Why is a dishwasher relevant? (I have one, but it doesn't work all that well and I prefer to handwash my dishes. The dishwasher is, however, a GREAT oversized dish rack that doesn't take up space on my counter.)

(And yes, I have four kids. And yes, I work outside the home. And yes, I'm a single parent. So not sure why any of those are relevant.)

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:21 pm
Marion wrote:
How about "always real, I don't have a dishwasher". Or just "always real". Why is a dishwasher relevant? (I have one, but it doesn't work all that well and I prefer to handwash my dishes. The dishwasher is, however, a GREAT oversized dish rack that doesn't take up space on my counter.)

(And yes, I have four kids. And yes, I work outside the home. And yes, I'm a single parent. So not sure why any of those are relevant.)

Did dishes for years while the family was home, never used paper except for camping. I have a concern about finite resources like land fills and dumping disposable plates and pans, not to mention the continual expense.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:23 pm
I'd say about 2/3 disposable, 1/3 real, and no dishwasher. We have 1 kid, we both work full time.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:25 pm
Family of four. We use real dishes almost all the time. We only have a fleishig dishwasher which we run once a week if it's just us or twice if we had company for Shabbos.

I let the breakfast and lunch dishes pile up and wash them all at once while dinner is in the oven and I'm supervising homework. DH does the after dinner dishes while I'm busy getting the kids ready for bed. I wash the cooking utensils as I go and DH does the post Shabbos washing up.

The only time I would prefer to use paper is on Succos, but DH insists on real dishes. He does the schlepping and the washing so it's not worth arguing about.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:31 pm
I honestly think that you should do what works for you. 3 young children? Go disposable.

I'm one of 12 B"AH and my mother A"H used a ton of disposables. I think it was the best decision for her.

I use disposables very sparingly, because I happen to dislike them. I rarely use disposable cutlery, as I find it easier to eat with the real stuff. And I like using my dishes. I have plastic cups in the house, and some paper plates, for in-between eating. But for meals, I generally use dishes. I have 3 daughters, and it doesn't take that long to wash a few extra plates for a family of 5.

For Shabbos, I use the dishwasher. I never run it during the week.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:32 pm
Marion wrote:

It's relevant because washing dishes takes time. Before we had our dishwashers, I spent about 45-60 minutes/day washing dishes. There were times where I would use more disposable items because I didn't have time to wash the dishes.

Could I have? Yes, but it's a lot easier to say "I always use real" when you have a dishwasher available than when you don't.

fiji

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:33 pm
Unless the food is very heavy or hot, we use mostly plastic during the week, and china or the really nice plastic on shabbos. no dishwasher.

pond user

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:52 pm
I didn't take part in the poll because there wasn't an 'always real' option.

We don't have a dishwasher aside from myself and husband. We absolutely hate the idea of using disposable dishes especially when dealing with hot food-we don't actually have a single disposable utensil in our house. We both work full time and we're about to have another baby. I love that my kids get to see us wash dishes (and pretend to help by pouring water everywhere) unlike my younger siblings who have grown up with 2 dishwashers and they haven't a clue what washing up liquid is or how to use it.

Does this make us parents of the year? I don't think so. I can't see what the difference is and if anyone uses disposables all week including shabbos, because I couldn't care less it that's the lifestyle they are most comfortable with. We all do what works for us as a family.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:56 pm
Disposable all the time, even Shabbos.

Besides for the convenience, I hate the taste of silverware, and both DH and I don't like the idea of eating off something that has already been eaten off before.

nicole81

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:02 pm
We have 5 kids at home and always use real dishes. I have a dishwasher for meat but not dairy. For about a year my dishwasher was broken before I replaced it and we used almost all disposables.

Miri7

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:23 pm
Family of 6. One dishwasher - dairy. We use real 95% of the time. Only started using disposables very recently. I feel really guilty when we do use them.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
Disposable all the time, even Shabbos.

Besides for the convenience, I hate the taste of silverware, and both DH and I don't like the idea of eating off something that has already been eaten off before.

No disrespect, but a friend was visiting us and describing his job working for some celebrity. (an actor, maybe) One of his jobs was buying dozens and dozens of an expensive pair of shoes. The actor would wear the shoes for a day, and then throw them out. I'm guessing he felt the same way about shoes worn once as you feel about plates that were used.

I rarely use disposables. A few reasons. 1. They are very expensive and hard to find where I live. 2. We pay for our garbage and it only gets picked up every 2 weeks. If we are too full we have nowhere to put it and foxes open the bags if they don't fit in the bin. 2. not so great enviromentally. 3. bh we have 2 dishwashers.

I do use them for shabbos meals when I am hosting a ton of people. I tend to use them for shabbos dessert as well. I also use foil pans for cooking and freezing things pre yom tov. For a regular shabbos I don't really need them - I use real pyrex. If I make a huge batch of kugel I will bake some in foil pans - I've had bad experiences freezing pyrex.

My pet peeve is people who use a brand new foil pan for every single challah they make. Completely unnecessary imo. Challah hardly messes up pans if you use baking paper.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:53 pm
Family of 5, no dishwasher and no cleaning help.

On Shabbos, only real.
During the week, only dh gets real, the rest use disposable.

MMCH

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:05 pm
dont have a dishwasher- family of 4- I work outside the home
my kids always get disposable plates and cups- but real silverware.

majority of the time my dh and I use real dishes-
but we all take lunch and snacks to work/school and everyone uses disposable .

never use disposable on shabbos.

besides the fact that good disposable stuff is $$$- I do feel kinda bad about the garbage it feels wasteful.

but as someone else said there is a price on sanity which is for sure true.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:10 pm
We use mostly disposables during the week and real dishes and cutlery Shabbos and Yom Tov. What's weird is that me and two of my kids prefer using plastic cutlery over stainless steel. We don't like the metallic feel or taste of real.

grace413

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:18 pm
I have a fleishig dishwasher so meat stuff is always real.

Dairy is disposal as much as possible because I hate washing dishes.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics