Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Real dishes or disposable
Previous  1  2  3

Do you use real or disposable dishes during the week
mostly real - I have a dishwasher  
 25%  [ 58 ]
mostly real - I dont have a dishwasher  
 22%  [ 53 ]
mostly disposable - I have a dishwasher  
 20%  [ 48 ]
mostly disposable - I dont have a dishwasher  
 31%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 232

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:10 am
Fleishig dishwasher. Mostly real.
Bought a second set of China for shabbos to avoid washing.
Small kids learn how to treat dishes if you give them the chance.
Why don't you bake challah on a cookie sheet? Sprinkle flour first so it comes off easily. It never occurred to me to use disposable pans for challah.
Disposable cups tend to happen here. And spoons since sone of my teaspoons have disappeared.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:15 am
In the US I had a dishwasher, and wouldn't be caught dead with disposables, unless it was a kid's birthday party. Now that I'm in Israel, I don't have a dishwasher yet, and I still haven't found the boxes with my dishes. I'm starting to worry that they didn't make it on the lift!

I absolutely loathe disposables, but right now my sanity is more important. I was cutlery and pots, but everything else is plastic. The thought of all of this stuff in landfills for the next umpteen thousand years is killing me with guilt, though. I came from a city that had a really comprehensive recycling program, and I rarely had more than a small bag of trash a week. Everything went into food waste, yard waste, cardboard and newspapers, plastic, and metal cans, respectively.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:17 am
I only have one sink so aside from pots and on Shabbos (when I utilize my dishwasher) for practical and kashrus proposes we use disposable. My husband and I both work full time and we have four kids, no cleaning help... no regrets either;)

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
Disposable all the time, even Shabbos.

Besides for the convenience, I hate the taste of silverware, and both DH and I don't like the idea of eating off something that has already been eaten off before.

Do you reuse the same pair of underwear or socks (after laundry?)
Do you use the same toothbrush twice?
A towel after a shower- are those disposable too?

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:
I learned that if you use a disposable tin more than once, it should have been toiveled. For that reason I never re-use tins. (Where I live they cost between $.10-.50 cents per tin, depending on the size.)

Why would one even bake challah in a tin? Isn't that what baking sheets are for?

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:59 pm
Raisin wrote:
No disrespect, but a friend was visiting us and describing his job working for some celebrity. (an actor, maybe) One of his jobs was buying dozens and dozens of an expensive pair of shoes. The actor would wear the shoes for a day, and then throw them out. I'm guessing he felt the same way about shoes worn once as you feel about plates that were used.

I rarely use disposables. A few reasons. 1. They are very expensive and hard to find where I live. 2. We pay for our garbage and it only gets picked up every 2 weeks. If we are too full we have nowhere to put it and foxes open the bags if they don't fit in the bin. 2. not so great enviromentally. 3. bh we have 2 dishwashers.

I do use them for shabbos meals when I am hosting a ton of people. I tend to use them for shabbos dessert as well. I also use foil pans for cooking and freezing things pre yom tov. For a regular shabbos I don't really need them - I use real pyrex. If I make a huge batch of kugel I will bake some in foil pans - I've had bad experiences freezing pyrex.

My pet peeve is people who use a brand new foil pan for every single challah they make. Completely unnecessary imo. Challah hardly messes up pans if you use baking paper.

Woody Allen?
His makeup artists use brand new brushes for each application as wellS

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:01 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Please CYLOR about this. I learned this is halachically inaccurate -- since the kli itself is the pan, it doesn't matter what is lining it, it's the pan itself that is being used to bake. Many people make this mistake.

(But one can buy real and re-use without washing with parchment paper for not much money Wink )

I was taught that only things that come into contact with actual food need to be toiveled-since the pan is not touching the food it wouldn't require tevillah.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:29 pm
The only time I typically use disposal is the "in between" stage of turning my kitchen over for Pesach, which usually lasts under a week.

I'll use them occasionally for a lot of guests, (but rarely), or if I am cooking a meal to send to another family.

No dishwash, two children.

In general, I try not to use disposable things if possible.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:31 pm
I have a meat dishwasher but only use it if we can fill the whole thing up Motzei Shabbos. I don't really understand how people run it daily with medium sized families (3-6 kids I guess)- you run it half empty? I don't have enough dishes to serve 2 meat or milk dinners it would take to fill it and run every other day and it seems like such a waste of water and energy to run it half empty.
So a year ago I would have voted real dishes 95% of the time, and for sure on Shabbos, and hand wash each night after dinner (nanny does breakfast cereal bowls and whatever she and baby use over the day). But then I BH got pregnant and could not handle the smell of the dishes so we started using plastic. I am feeling much better now in my 3rd trimester but will treat myself to the plastic through the post partum stage. And in case anyone is curious, DH would be happy to wash the dinner dishes but he is running out to a seder and maariv each night after a full day's work and I would feel bad putting the chore on him when I get to change into my pjs and sometimes even get downtime once the kids are put to bed.
Regarding the paper cups, this is 1 area where I still cannot handle plastic- do they not spill every second? My Corel and glasses are so much more stable and spill proof, I would rather gag and wash them than deal with all the spills!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:37 pm
cnc wrote:
I was taught that only things that come into contact with actual food need to be toiveled-since the pan is not touching the food it wouldn't require tevillah.

That is the case for putting food on to eat, not for cooking it. That is the case if it is used to hold another kli, not the food itself. Meaning if you have a tray to carry soup bowls, you don't need to toivel the tray as it's for the bowls more than for the soup. But any pan used to hold the food to cook (the parchment paper is not a kli) does require tevila.

Interestingly enough, I learned that it's ok to use a non-toiveled pan if it's just to enhance the cooking, not the actual cooking itself, e.g. a disposable pan re-used many times to be put in the oven with water to create steam in the oven.

(Edited to rephrase my opening sentence which was erroneous)

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

yksraya

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:54 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Please CYLOR about this. I learned this is halachically inaccurate -- since the kli itself is the pan, it doesn't matter what is lining it, it's the pan itself that is being used to bake. Many people make this mistake.

(But one can buy real and re-use without washing with parchment paper for not much money Wink )

Firstly, it's a sheila if disposable tin pans even needs toiveling. Some do toivel some don't.
When the kli will be used to hold food, the kli itself will touch the food it needs toiveling. However, if it will never touch the food it can be used without toiveling. Maybe you learned differently, so I guess if you want to know the answer for yourself you can AYLOR.

yksraya

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:57 pm
Marion wrote:
Why would one even bake challah in a tin? Isn't that what baking sheets are for?

The shape differs between challah on a sheet and in a tin.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:19 pm
yksraya wrote:
Firstly, it's a sheila if disposable tin pans even needs toiveling. Some do toivel some don't.
When the kli will be used to hold food, the kli itself will touch the food it needs toiveling. However, if it will never touch the food it can be used without toiveling. Maybe you learned differently, so I guess if you want to know the answer for yourself you can AYLOR.

I originally commented responding to a post saying one doesn't have to toivel because they can just use parchment paper in between.

I miswrote above. Scratch my previous post about eating vs cooking, I wasn't thinking properly when I broke down the scenarios.. The differentiation between my scenarios is the kli itself. A kli by definition has to be able to hold food and be a certain level of thickness. Parchment paper is not a kli. Something used with a kli on top (even for cooking, like an oven rack) does not need tevila if it will never touch food. But simply lining something with parchment paper or foil is just adding to the pan, not creating a separate kli for the food.
I'm not debating whether disposable pans needs tevilah or not, there are numerous opinions. I am talking about something someone holds needs tevilah and trying to get out of it by lining it.

Oh, I just finally found an online source vs referring people to my rav Wink
http://gt.torah.org/advanced/w......html

Question: Does lining a utensil with aluminum foil or saran wrap, etc., so that the food does not touch the utensil at all, exempt the utensil from tevilah?

Discussion: Lining a utensil with aluminum foil or any other lining does not exempt it from tevilah, even if the lining completely blocks the food from touching the utensil[12].

12. Minchas Shlomo 2:66-5. See Chelkas Binyamin 120:34 for an explanation. [Although not directly addressed by the poskim, it seems that one would not be required to immerse a utensil which is used exclusively for wrapped foods — such as candies or cupcakes in holders.]

sky

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:18 pm
I was also taught that using parchment paper or foil doesn't take away the need to toivel.

I use a lot of plastic - when it is on sale it comes out really cheap - like 400 cutlery for 1.99.

For baking and cooking I find the food comes out so much better so I use some real and some disposable. Things like disposable cookie sheets I can't bring myself to use, not sure why. I just line my pans and bake and do a quick wipe down.

We toivel all plastic (*worst minhag ever*) so I use very little plastic containers - it seems to me such a waste to use the plastic soup containers to freeze soup and then toss. I use plastic bags for that a lot.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:37 am
As a person who takes both bal tashchis and environmental responsibility seriously (they're one and the same anyway ) I use disposables as seldom, and reuse them as often, as I can get away with, then recycle anything that can be recycled. My use of new disposables, as opposed to reusing disposables salvaged from elsewhere, like unused plastic flatware from an airline meal, is limited mainly to sedarim, Shabbos and YT meals in our community sukkah, and the occasional Pesach day trip. (And even then I use reusable juice box-style beverage containers .)

Family of six, no household help aside from children doing assigned chores, full time working parents.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics