Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/0 real or disposable. What is the price of sanity?
1  2  3  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:24 pm
Someone on the other said the cost of her disposables was the price she paid for sanity. Since I've never used them in the home I'm wondering what the price tag is for using disposables. How much do you spend a month on disposables?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:29 pm
Plates: 5.99
Bowls: 2.49
Forks 1.99
Spoons 1.99

We use about 1 package each per week. So $12.49. We also have no dishwasher or cleaning help. I'd say it's a bargain.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:29 pm
I spend on plates alone 15-20 a month. Not a lot considering I don't use a cleaning lady. I help myself in different ways.

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:32 pm
That depends on what kinds you buy. A box of spoons/forks is usually $2.50-$3.00 and it has 400 spoons/forks. Lasts 2-3 wks. Plates/bowls are between $2.50- $5.00 depending on size. I use a pack of each per wk.
Plastic cups are around $1-$1.50 and I use abt 2-3 packs a wk. Foam cups is $.99 a pack.
It's not cheap nor expensive. Of course using real would be cheaper, but for saving time and energy it's worth the price.

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:38 pm
I'd say $15-$20 per month.

There are times when I've used a lot of disposables because I wasn't feeling well or simply wasn't up to coordinating the dishwashing, and there have also been times when I've used virtually none.

We often have 12-16 people for a seuda, and while I'm a huge proponent of real china with all the fixin's, my family has made it clear they prefer a tidy kitchen and a pleasant mom to a drop-dead table that is followed by a week-long disaster in the kitchen and a less-than-cheerful mom.

So I've allowed myself to be persuaded: when I can't honestly say that I'll be able to manage the clean-up, we use nice disposables.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:38 pm
When I had 3 kids under 3 and no dishwasher, I said it doesn't matter, I will wash, not using disposables and it's fine. Now I have 5 kids, only a meat dishwasher but we mostly use meat on shabbos, sunday and maybe one other day, I work, including most evenings, and I use disposables. Honestly, I have no idea how much it costs. We've looked around at prices, I try to get from the place that is generally cheapest, somehow I still always have dishes to wash, but whatever it costs is definitely less than my sanity is worth.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:43 pm
Disposable and dishwasher s are my sanity. Pesach I don't have dishwasher and I get 😡

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:17 am
I try to buy my disposables at the cheaper store but I don't always get there when I'm out. I'm pregnant and every less item that I have to wash is an infinite win. I don't keep track of how much I spend on the disposables.
If I'm not up to washing dishes Friday night it's not worth it to me to fight with my kids to do it. My husband will do it but I know he will be whispering under his breath "why couldn't we just use plastic"

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:01 am
Disposables are worth every penny to me. My husband is a terrible dishes washer. So he doesnt do it. (Ive tried showing him how. I dont know what it is, but he is just not able to do a good job which then leaves me to have to wash it again) so, we use disposables all week long. But we are not a big family and I buy the bulk plates, like 100 in a package, and that lasts a pretty long time. On shabbos we use real, no matter what, but during the week, plates, silverware and cups are plastic.

evie

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:36 am
You're all ma king my feels lot less guilty about using not disposables! Thank you! Although the environmental impact does still bother me. I don't use disposables every day, but I've started to use them a lot on Shabbat.
I do B'H have a meaty dishwasher.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:54 am
evie wrote:
You're all ma king my feels lot less guilty about using not disposables! Thank you! Although the environmental impact does still bother me. I don't use disposables every day, but I've started to use them a lot on Shabbat.
I do B'H have a meaty dishwasher.

Re the environmental impact: In general, we're frugal, and try to reduce, reuse and recyle. We do a lot of second hand shopping, for example, and with our small house, we have a much smaller footprint than many people in the US do. We also don't do the level of restaurant/take out eating your typical American does. So on the whole, I feel comfortable with my disposables usage. Sorry, MY, I can't figure out how much I spend off hand.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:53 am
I am the OP of the other disposable thread. I use whatever I can disposables which includes a lot of tin pans for baking my dinners in. I buy a lot at a time and then Im set for a while. I can spend 80-100 and that will last me say 6-8 weeks. Its an ouch because I know that its all money that I dont need to spend if I used real but I am feeling a lot less guilty after reading all the responses because I don't have a cleaning lady either which would be a lot more expensive Smile

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Re the environmental impact: In general, we're frugal, and try to reduce, reuse and recyle. We do a lot of second hand shopping, for example, and with our small house, we have a much smaller footprint than many people in the US do. We also don't do the level of restaurant/take out eating your typical American does. So on the whole, I feel comfortable with my disposables usage. Sorry, MY, I can't figure out how much I spend off hand.

When I lived rurally disposables were out of the question. No trash service, so for six mos out of the year you could burn paper. Plastic if it was recyclable had to be washed and hauled off to the coop for recycling (12 miles) same with disposable pans and glass bottles. If the plastic wasn't recyclable it had to be hauled to the landfill (18 miles one way). So in a way, these experiences framed how I dealt with disposables as an adult. I also grew up with real dishes and no disposables. In town it's a whole different story. Shabbos for 7 would fill my trash can with disposables, offering me no space for the trash that accumulated by Weds.

I'm glad to see Imas choosing what works for their families.

BayMom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:36 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
When I lived rurally disposables were out of the question. No trash service, so for six mos out of the year you could burn paper. Plastic if it was recyclable had to be washed and hauled off to the coop for recycling (12 miles) same with disposable pans and glass bottles. If the plastic wasn't recyclable it had to be hauled to the landfill (18 miles one way). So in a way, these experiences framed how I dealt with disposables as an adult. I also grew up with real dishes and no disposables. In town it's a whole different story. Shabbos for 7 would fill my trash can with disposables, offering me no space for the trash that accumulated by Weds.

I'm glad to see Imas choosing what works for their families.

Sure makes me appreciate out twice weekly sanitation service.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:56 pm
Quote:
Of course using real would be cheaper, but for saving time and energy it's worth the price.

not necessarily so. a pack of 100 cups for $1 means 1 cent apiece. the water and soap used to wash a real cup would probably cost at least a penny too.

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:04 pm
I once did a cost/benefit analysis on disposables versus using the dishwasher without the dry cycle. I was actually trying to show DH that using real is cheaper. I agreed to abide by the results.

It works out a little cheaper to use disposables. Plus I either have to leave the dishwasher open to dry or hand dry. Using the dishwasher also impacts the environment.

I have two dishwashers and a cleaning lady several times a week. I HATE disposables; purely from an economic point, they are cheaper. It costs me less than a penny because we bit in bulk.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
Of course using real would be cheaper, but for saving time and energy it's worth the price.

not necessarily so. a pack of 100 cups for $1 means 1 cent apiece. the water and soap used to wash a real cup would probably cost at least a penny too.

Except that most people use a lot less real dishes than they do disaposable. You would keep drinking from the same cup all afternoon, let's say, without washing it each time, whereas with disposable, many (most?) people use and throw out and take a new one when they're ready for their next drink.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:31 pm
Squishy wrote:
I once did a cost/benefit analysis on disposables versus using the dishwasher without the dry cycle. I was actually trying to show DH that using real is cheaper. I agreed to abide by the results.

It works out a little cheaper to use disposables. Plus I either have to leave the dishwasher open to dry or hand dry. Using the dishwasher also impacts the environment.

I have two dishwashers and a cleaning lady several times a week. I HATE disposables; purely from an economic point, they are cheaper. It costs me less than a penny because we bit in bulk.

Curious what the cost comparison would be, dishwasher to hand washing. I guess you'd have to watch the water bill for a few months before getting the dishwasher, then watch it for a few months with the dishwasher (we don't have a dishwasher and use disposables)

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
Curious what the cost comparison would be, dishwasher to hand washing. I guess you'd have to watch the water bill for a few months before getting the dishwasher, then watch it for a few months with the dishwasher (we don't have a dishwasher and use disposables)

The cost of the dishwasher use was easy because the manufacturer put out specs and the cost per unit of electricity is on the bill. You can similarly compare the use of hot water. There are studies to give you the basic numbers.

cuffs

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:17 pm
Someone once told me it's cheaper for her to use dishes on yomtov and then hire a cleaning lady to wash them. The fancy disposables are super expensive.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics