Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Government help for noncitizens?
1  2  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:10 pm
I was asked by a friend if I knew about qualifications for government welfare programs...
She is incredibly poor but not a citizen. Doesnt have SS number or green card. Neither does her husband. They have little kids who werent born in the USA. Long story...
Does anyone know if they can get WIC? Her kids are under 5.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:14 pm
http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/s.....ility
A person must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible, lawfully-present non-citizen to qualify for SNAP benefits. Non-citizens who are eligible based on their immigration status must also satisfy other SNAP eligibility requirements such as income and resource limits to receive SNAP benefits.

Non-citizens eligible with no waiting period

The following non-citizens are eligible with no waiting period:
Qualified alien children under 18.
Refugees admitted under section 207 of INA (includes victims of severe forms of trafficking).
Victims of Trafficking under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000.
Asylees under Section 208 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
Deportation withheld under 243(h) or 241(b)(3) of INA.
Amerasian immigrants under 584 of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing and Related Programs Appropriations Act.
Cuban or Haitian entrants as defined in 501(e) of the Refugee Education Assistance Act of 1980.
Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants under Section 101(a)(27) of the INA.
Certain American Indians born abroad.
Members of Hmong or Highland Laotian tribes that helped the U.S. military during the Vietnam era, and who are legally living in the U.S., and their spouses or surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children.
Elderly individuals born on or before Aug. 22, 1931 and who lawfully resided in the U.S. on Aug. 22, 1996.
Lawful Permanent Residents in the U.S. and receiving government payments for disability or blindness.
Lawful Permanent Residents with a military connection (veteran, on active duty, or spouse or child of a veteran or active duty service member).
Qualified aliens eligible after a waiting period

A qualified alien is a non-citizen with a certain immigration status as defined under PRWORA.
A qualified alien who does not belong to one of the non-citizen groups listed above as eligible with no waiting period can get SNAP benefits if the person is otherwise eligible, and is:
A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who has earned, or can be credited with, 40 quarters of work; or
A qualified alien in one of the following groups who has been in qualified status for 5 years:
o Paroled for at least one year under section 212(d)(5) of INA.
o Granted conditional entry under 203(a)(7) of INA in effect prior to 4/1/80.
o Battered spouse, battered child or parent or child of a battered person with a
petition pending under 204(a)(1)(A) or (B) or 244(a)(3) of INA.
Some States have programs to supply food benefits in lieu of SNAP to non-citizens who do not qualify for SNAP benefits. This information can be accessed in the SNAP State Options Report.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:18 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/snap-policy-non-citizen-eligibility
A person must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible, lawfully-present non-citizen to qualify for SNAP benefits. Non-citizens who are eligible based on their immigration status must also satisfy other SNAP eligibility requirements such as income and resource limits to receive SNAP benefits.

Non-citizens eligible with no waiting period

The following non-citizens are eligible with no waiting period:
Qualified alien children under 18.
Refugees admitted under section 207 of INA (includes victims of severe forms of trafficking).
Victims of Trafficking under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000.
Asylees under Section 208 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
Deportation withheld under 243(h) or 241(b)(3) of INA.
Amerasian immigrants under 584 of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing and Related Programs Appropriations Act.
Cuban or Haitian entrants as defined in 501(e) of the Refugee Education Assistance Act of 1980.
Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants under Section 101(a)(27) of the INA.
Certain American Indians born abroad.
Members of Hmong or Highland Laotian tribes that helped the U.S. military during the Vietnam era, and who are legally living in the U.S., and their spouses or surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children.
Elderly individuals born on or before Aug. 22, 1931 and who lawfully resided in the U.S. on Aug. 22, 1996.
Lawful Permanent Residents in the U.S. and receiving government payments for disability or blindness.
Lawful Permanent Residents with a military connection (veteran, on active duty, or spouse or child of a veteran or active duty service member).
Qualified aliens eligible after a waiting period

A qualified alien is a non-citizen with a certain immigration status as defined under PRWORA.
A qualified alien who does not belong to one of the non-citizen groups listed above as eligible with no waiting period can get SNAP benefits if the person is otherwise eligible, and is:
A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who has earned, or can be credited with, 40 quarters of work; or
A qualified alien in one of the following groups who has been in qualified status for 5 years:
o Paroled for at least one year under section 212(d)(5) of INA.
o Granted conditional entry under 203(a)(7) of INA in effect prior to 4/1/80.
o Battered spouse, battered child or parent or child of a battered person with a
petition pending under 204(a)(1)(A) or (B) or 244(a)(3) of INA.
Some States have programs to supply food benefits in lieu of SNAP to non-citizens who do not qualify for SNAP benefits. This information can be accessed in the SNAP State Options Report.

Yeah, saw that online. They don't seem to qualify. But what about WIC?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:19 pm
And what states have food programs for non citizens? I couldn't find it in the state options report.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:11 pm
Oh and any other programs they might qualify for?

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:18 pm
In Rockland County, NY, they can get free health care including dental.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah, saw that online. They don't seem to qualify. But what about WIC?

So if they don't qualify based on the SNAP info I posted, does this mean they are here illegally? WIW is probably available to them if they are not citizens and not here legally, but I'm not sure. It's simply stuff I've heard about online.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:14 pm
I don't know if they are here illegally or what. Maybe just on a visa or something but I think they need to stay here long term for medical needs... I don't know the whole story. It's not really a friend, more like friend of friend type situation.

mirror

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:26 pm
If they are Jewish then they can get Tomchei Shabbos, which is free food once a week. There are also soup kitchens. Brooklyn has the Masbia soup kitchen on Coney Island Avenue.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 6:26 pm
If they do not have citizenship (or a green card, which allows for limited benefits), then they are not entitled for any kind of government welfare benefits. If they have US citizen children, those children may be eligible for benefits.
Non US citizen children are not entitled to any kind of benefit, other than public education.

Applying for welfare programs nonetheless (some people do and end up receiving) can have major negative effects. If they are on any kind of visa, they will be denied entry/barred from entering the country again and will never be able to get any kind of papers.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 6:38 pm
Border Patrol/ICE/USCIS does not take lightly people who are a burden on society. I absolutely do not recommend to try to get onto any kind of benefit program they are not entitled too.
I know in some areas illegal aliens do receive benefits, but I recommend against this strongly because this can have very serious negative consequences.

Maybe help them getting an under the table cash job? Finding any kind of food pantry? Tomchei Shabbos?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 6:39 pm
Squishy wrote:
In Rockland County, NY, they can get free health care including dental.

Undocumented children can usually get CHP. What can the undocumented adults get?

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 6:44 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Undocumented children can usually get CHP. What can the undocumented adults get?

Illegal aliens are not allowed to be a burden on the government/society. They are not entitled to any benefit.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:00 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Illegal aliens are not allowed to be a burden on the government/society. They are not entitled to any benefit.

Incorrect. NY has the largest safety net of all 50 states and undocumented children under 19 are eligible for CHP

I am a hospital SW. I know of what I speak

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:17 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Incorrect. NY has the largest safety net of all 50 states and undocumented children under 19 are eligible for CHP

I am a hospital SW. I know of what I speak

That goes against federal law. This may cause legal issues later on.

I know of tourists who went on (emergency) Medicaid and were then barred entry to the United States and banned.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:22 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
That goes against federal law. This may cause legal issues later on.

I know of tourists who went on (emergency) Medicaid and were then barred entry to the United States and banned.

NY doesn't punish children for the actions of their parents. And I am not speaking about tourists whose primary residence is elsewhere.
I am speaking of children who have residency in NY (despite not having documented legal status)

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:22 pm
Chocoholic wrote:

That sounds good but it doesn't work that way. States can choose to provide different types of coverage to people here illegally. The funding comes from their states own coffers.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:31 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That sounds good but it doesn't work that way. States can choose to provide different types of coverage to people here illegally. The funding comes from their states own coffers.

USCIS will know and these people will face consequences. Then again, most of them will not do anything to correct their status and will just wait for their crime to be pardoned and rewarded with paperwork.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:32 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
USCIS will know and these people will face consequences. Then again, most of them will not do anything to correct their status and will just wait for their crime to be pardoned and rewarded with paperwork.

That's your opinion.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:34 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That's your opinion.

For the most part, it's a fact. People seem to forget this is a nation of laws, not of feelings.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics