Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Kitchenaid for 5lb. Challah dough recipe? Taller? Fluffier?

Lizajen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:49 am
I don't have a machine, like a Bosch that many make challah in. I've always kneaded my challah dough by hand. However, it just doesn't come out tall and fluffy. Would that have to do with me doing it by hand? Maybe I should be letting it rise longer? How long should I let it rise? I generally do, for about an hour and a half. Can I make it in my kitchenaid? Thanx

thanks

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:52 am
How you braid it also matters. I braid it with 6, a method that retains its shape and stays built. (Braid with 3, and my challah comes out flat.)

I do not like using my Kitchenaid for challah dough. I rather make small batches in my bread machine. The dough comes out so smooth and fluffy.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:00 am
I don't think you can knead a full five lbs. at once in a Kitchenaid.

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:09 am
How big is your Kitchenaid?

I have the 6 quart model and I can do 4-4.5 lbs of flour in it. I hand knead in the rest to get to 5 lbs.

Could the lack of fluffiness be the recipe you're using? Some are just denser than others. Also, do you do a second rise?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:12 am
nicole81 wrote:
How big is your Kitchenaid?

I have the 6 quart model and I can do 4-4.5 lbs of flour in it. I hand knead in the rest to get to 5 lbs.

Could the lack of fluffiness be the recipe you're using? Some are just denser than others. Also, do you do a second rise?

I also have a 6 quart Kitchenaid and I hate hand kneading, so once I have all the flour in I separate it and mix one half of the dough at time in the mixer.

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:18 am
glutenless wrote:
I also have a 6 quart Kitchenaid and I hate hand kneading, so once I have all the flour in I separate it and mix one half of the dough at time in the mixer.

Do you mix it by hand? Or in the machine?

I hate hand mixing Very Happy so this way works best for me. But if I tried to put in all 5 lbs of flour into the machine, it would go flying.

I love my Kitchenaid though, and I'm eyeing the 8 quart for when this one bites the dust.

Lizajen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:17 pm
I don't let it rise a second time, and I've always braided it with 3. So, how long should I let it rise first time, and then how long for the second time? Then, I'll try braiding it with 6. How many medium challos do you make using 6 braids with 5lbs of flour?
And to clarify: if I mix it initially by hand, at least until all the ingredients are mixed together, then divide it in half, use the dough hook( which I never use), then should it be great? How long and at what speed on the kitchenaid? Thanx.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:41 pm
I'm in a rush but I want to say that you can continue braiding with 3 - I do that often and it rises great.

tricks for rising ---

1 - put yeast in a bowl with 1/2 cup water and some sugar - leave for 20 min and most water will disappear - this activates the yeast to work well

2 - when my machine was broken I used my hand mixer with about 4 cups of flour and all other ingredients. Leave in bowl covered to double in size - (about 1/2 hr) then add the rest of flour by hand and leave covered to rise for about 2 hours.

3- after braiding and egging - put in oven at 220 for 20 min. it will rise a lot then. Then turn to 350 and bake for around 40 min

These are tricks that I use all the time and work for me.

Feel free to ask any questions if I wasn't clear.

smother29

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:49 pm
I beleive its the second rise, once they are shaped, that will make them light and fluffy. Let rise 1-2 hours, bless and shape, let rise 1-2 hours. Egg wash and topping. Bake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads