Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Road trip from cincy to Atlanta

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:21 am
hi, I live in Cincinnati and I'm contemplating taking a road trip for winter break to someplace not to far and not to cold. I was thinking Atlanta might be a good idea. Does anyone have any advice of places to stop along the way, suggestions about where to stay once we get near Atlanta....

I have family in Atlanta that would be nice to see if we go but I don't think they have room for us to stay there. My kids are little and we like playgrounds, hiking etc... would like to not spend too much. We would want some indoor options as well in case the weather is nasty. I would also like to eat out at least one night.

Last road trip we did was in the summer and we did lots of grilling which worked out great, not sure if that's an option in Atlanta in the winter.

Also open to any other locations that are warm and fairly close to Cincinnat.

Thank you!

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:05 am
Atlanta has the Coke factory tour. Along the way in Kentucky you have lots of horse stuff (Churchill Downs), Mammoth Cave, and the Corvette factory. There's also whiskey and bourbon tours, which are obviously not for kids, but it's an interesting and unique way to spend an hour, and they're indoors.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:09 am
Atlanta has an amazing aquarium too.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:37 am
I would recommend you stop by the Toy Park in Decatur if you have small children. From the New York Times "Families looking for a really local experience should head to the Decatur Toy Park at the corner of East Ponce de Leon Avenue and Nelson Ferry Road. It’s owned by a church and is the repository for seemingly every plastic wheeled vehicle and playhouse outgrown by the city’s toddlers."

It's across the street from the church and always filled with an ever-changing array of plastic play houses, bikes, kitchens, tricycles, push cars. All sorts of families use the park. My children love it.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:41 am
My brother got married in Atlanta in the winter and we thought we were going to tropical paradise... It was snowing and freezing cold!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:02 am
last amother- open to other recommendations that are not too far driving- florida, california... are further then I want to go.

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:35 am
Another great resource for planning a road trip to anywhere is http://www.roadsideamerica.com/. Just look at the map along your route, and see what interesting attractions are there. Also, check what cities you'll be going through, and then look at TripAdvisor things top things to do in each of those cities to find activities.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 12:28 pm
op here. thanks so much for all your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics