Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fish Roe
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:54 pm
Have you ever cooked/fried it? Can you please share a tasty way to prepare it?

Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:43 pm
It's possible you'll get more traffic if you start a new thread in the recipe forum.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:49 pm
Is that called roigen in Yiddish? If yes then my mother used to make it. She cooked it together with her shabos fish so had same boiled sweet flavor.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:08 pm
It makes a scrumptious dip which is typically served at Greek or Armenian restaurants. It's called Taramasalata.

Very easy to make as it's essentially the roe, bread and oil. And the markup when you buy it already made is astronomical.

It's also used in sushi as a sub for the more expensive flying fish roe.

Obviously as a basic food, there are hundreds of recipes. Here's one but google and you might find one that's more appealing.

About 2 cups (500g)

Some people like a bit of onion or garlic in their tarama. They don’t usually add them to versions I’ve had in Paris, but if you want to add them, use about 1/4 cup minced shallots or onions (red or white), in step 1 in place of the garlic. Not everybody uses garlic in their tarama and it does tend to compete a bit with the fish flavor. So you can leave it out if you want. But I like a small amount in there.

It’s traditional to use codfish roe (eggs)

White pepper isn’t easily available, but adds a nice little bit of zip. You can leave it out or use black pepper, if you don’t mind the black bits. (I do, for some reason.) You can use a blender or food processor. I think it gets more whipped up, and thicker in a blender. If using a blender, you may need to stop it midway and scrape down the sides, as it may get too thick to incorporate all the oil.

4 slices (90g) white bread, such as pain de mie
1/2 cup (100g) fish roe (red or white)
1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
1/2 cup (125) vegetable oil, such as canola or sunflower
Optional: 1 small clove garlic, peeled, green germ removed, and minced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Trim the crusts from the bread, break into large pieces and put into a bowl. Cover with water then immediately grab them with your hand and squeeze most of the water out.

2. Put the bread, fish eggs, and garlic (if using) in a blender or the bowl of a food processor. Put on the lid. (If using a blender, remove the center cap, in the middle of the lid. A funnel put in the opening will prevent splattering. If using a food processor, remove the cylinder in the feeding tube.)

3. Turn the blender on to thoroughly combine the fish eggs and bread. Mix the olive oil and vegetable oil in a measuring cup with a spout. With the motor running on medium-high speed, drizzle the oil into the fish egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, until it’s all added. Add the lemon juice and white pepper. Taste, and add more lemon juice, if desired.

4. Scrape into a bowl and serve.

Storage: Tarama can be made up to five days in advance, and refrigerated, well covered. I think it actually gets better after it sits for a day or two, so feel free to make it in advance.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:18 pm
I paid a dollar and change for it.

The dip recipe above is more complicated than I am up for ....

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It's possible you'll get more traffic if you start a new thread in the recipe forum.

The trouble is that my whole building knows I bought it and that I'm looking for a recipe...

The recipe forum is amother disabled so if I'd post there I'd be outing my screen name.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
I paid a dollar and change for it.

The dip recipe above is more complicated than I am up for ....

I can't think of anything simpler than putting some ingredients in a blender and turning on the button. LOL

What kind of recipe are you looking for? You could sprinkle it on grilled fish but that's not particularly tasty.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
Have you ever cooked/fried it? Can you please share a tasty way to prepare it?

Thanks!

When I was a kid my mother fried shad roe. She dusted it with flour and pan fried it. I was never a fan of it then, but now I'd love to have some, it's frightfully expensive.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:21 pm
my kids like to eat it on challah. my husband eats it on bread, preferably spread with margarine or butter first. I refuse to touch it after that one time I tasted it to be polite.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:22 pm
Amarante wrote:
I can't think of anything simpler than putting some ingredients in a blender and turning on the button. LOL

What kind of recipe are you looking for? You could sprinkle it on grilled fish but that's not particularly tasty.

Oh no! The roe I have is uncooked. The dip recipe requires the roe to be uncooked?

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
Oh no! The roe I have is uncooked. The dip recipe requires the roe to be uncooked?

I've never heard of cooking the roe. I just use it from the jar as is. If it is what I am thinking of, it's just tiny little fish eggs (roe).

The roe is cheap but when you buy the dip, it's super expensive. LOL

You just blend it. I love it as a dip with some pita bread but don't think I would like to eat it plain. A little bit sprinkled on my sushi is okay but not something I go out of my way to eat.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:26 pm
I got the roe at the fish store. I'm uncomfortable ingesting it in its raw/uncooked state.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:28 pm
Is it a set of roe? A whole bunch of eggs inside a membrane?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:28 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Is it a set of roe? A whole bunch of eggs inside a membrane?

yes

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
yes

You could gently release them from the membrane and use in the dip mentioned above. I'd just dust it in flour and pan fry it. Do you know what kind of roe it is? Roe is a spring time delicacy.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:41 pm
I also add it to my pot of gefilte fish and cook it together. I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways of preparing roe, but I'm not so sophisticated. I put it in foil, not fully covered, I kind of shape the foil into a bowl shape and put the roe in it so that no eggs escape. Otherwise, if you have picky eaters like my kids, they won't touch the gefilte fish.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:44 pm
Shad roe poaches well, but it needs a couple of drops of lemon juice if you are poaching it solo.

Most of the roe that you find on sushi is processed and pasteurized to help preserve it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
The trouble is that my whole building knows I bought it and that I'm looking for a recipe...

The recipe forum is amother disabled so if I'd post there I'd be outing my screen name.

Oops. Good point. And you're getting traffic too. Hatzlacha. I remember that we had roe on the table sometimes when I was growing up but I have no idea where it came from. I think from shad, I have no idea what prep was needed.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
I got the roe at the fish store. I'm uncomfortable ingesting it in its raw/uncooked state.

call the fish store and ask for cooking instructions. they should be able to help you.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
You could gently release them from the membrane and use in the dip mentioned above. I'd just dust it in flour and pan fry it. Do you know what kind of roe it is? Roe is a spring time delicacy.

I don't know which kind of roe it is. Next time I'm at the fish store I'll ask.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics