Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
While on the topic of real dishes and dishwashers...

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 1:16 am
I currently don't have one. Moving soon and I believe the new place will have one.

What stuff can't go in? I would love it for my pots, pans and plates. My plates have etchings so it's impossible to get clean! How do you put stuff in to efficiently clean but do as much as possible at once?
On one of the threads someone mentioned stainless can't. What happens if it does? I have a lot of stainless :-(. What about lids?
Do those pods thing for dishwashers work well? Does brand matter?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 3:30 am
I put my pots in.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 3:39 am
I'm the one who said that I don't put my stainless steel pots and pans in the dishwasher. I know that many people do, but in my experience, the dishwasher (or perhaps it's the detergent) damages the finish of stainless steel pots. I have had Farberware pots for many years, and they have always remained beautiful and shiny, looking almost like new. I started using a dishwasher a couple of years ago, after moving to a house that had one, and after a couple of times in the dishwasher, my soup pot will never be the same. It is no longer shiny and I can't get a film of residue off the bottom.

My other Farberware stainless steel pots, which I've never put in the dishwasher, and just scrub with steel wool soap pads, are still beautiful, shiny, and clean.

I should add, however, that my dishwasher does a great job at cleaning my stainless steel cutlery. I don't know what makes pots different.

Here are other things I would not recommend putting in a dishwasher:

* Any pots or lids that have rubberized or Bakelite parts, like the standard black handle in the center of lids. The finish comes off.

* The lids of those Rubbermaid glass storage dishes; the red rubber of the lid warps and then the lids don't have that airtight seal.

* Anything with a non-stick finish, like a grill pan. It kills the finish.

My dishwasher has also broken two of my Corelle plates. Because of this, I never put in my bone china. I can afford to lose a Corelle set, but I can't get individual plates for my china pattern anymore, and replacing my set would be beyond my current budget. (Also, I love my china, and I don't want to get another set.) And as I've said, it's totally not worth it; plates take me almost no time to wash.

The dishwasher doesn't do a good job on really dirty things like the ceramic insert of my Crock Pot. I do half the work first, soaking it and getting off most of the residue off, and it still can't finish it up properly. I have a bunch of Pyrex dishes, and the dishwasher does a mediocre job on them. Sometimes it can't get off everything, and I have to wash it myself afterwards. If I soak it beforehand it does a better job, but the whole point is that it should free me from this sort of labor.

I have found that the dishwasher does a better job than me on mugs and plastic storage containers. No matter how much I scrub and how much soap I use, plastic containers hold onto a greasy film when I wash them by hand, but the dishwasher leaves them squeaky clean. And I'm mildly obsessive about making sure that mugs don't get any build up or rings inside; I am so grossed when people offer me tea in stained mugs! It takes me a lot of scrubbing by hand to leave mugs perfectly white, but the dishwasher does a great job.

The detergent makes a big difference. I use Cascade platinum pods. I tried a number of different brands when I first started using the dishwasher, and other brands (like Finish pods and other levels of Cascade) not only didn't get the dishes clean, they left the dishwasher smelling foul. I was going to call a repair service, but I decided I'd try to switch detergents first, and that worked. I have not tried the regular detergents that you pour in.

cm

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 3:59 pm
Here's what one dishwasher manufacturer has to say:

http://inspiration.kenmore.com.....w_wcB

Personally, I don't use the dishwasher for pots, and rarely for baking pans. It is more efficient for me to load the dishes, glasses and flatware into the dishwasher, and do the larger objects by hand. Considering that the interior of my dishwasher is stainless steel, stainless is unlikely to be damaged by the dishwasher. However, some finishes are vulnerable, so follow manufacturers instructions. Good knives should be washed by hand.

Make sure the dishes are facing the middle (depending on the model, they either line up from the sides facing in, or from the front and back facing the center). Don't put plates in front of bowls, or how will the water get in? Colanders go right on top of the dishes. Cutting boards (not wood) go along the edges of the bottom rack.

Small bowls, dessert plates, dishwasher-safe plasticware and long utensils such as mixing spoons and spatulas go in the top rack along with glasses/cups. Drinkware goes in between the tines, not on top of them.

To avoid nesting, I prefer to mix up forks and spoons. My dishwasher has slots in the silverware tray for knives. This keeps them separate and in the right position for washing.

I put my crystal in the top rack with no problem, and gold-trimmed china in the bottom. I would not put antique or especially delicate items in the machine that can't stand up to harsh detergents.

Nothing has ever broken in my dishwasher. A relative bought a house with a dishwasher that tossed her things all over, so you might want to do a test run with unbreakables, and see if they end up where you left them.

I find the detergent packets don't fit my detergent cups properly, and often are not released. To use them, I need to start the washer, and then toss a pod into the bottom directly with the water. Not worth it. Regular gel detergent works fine. Best not to pre-rinse, as exposing clean dishes to detergent may etch them. Use a rinse aid such as Jet Dry.

Be careful opening the top rack after the cycle is complete; there is likely to be water pooled on top (bottom) of the cups. To avoid hand-drying, pour off the water and leave the door open until the last drops evaporate.

To get a nice facial, open the door before the machine cools down. Best to take your glasses off first!

Enjoy your new toy! As you can see here, experiences vary and you may need to do some trial and error to get the best results.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics