Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help sleep train a 15 month old
1  2  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 12:06 am
I'm nearly losing it from lack of sleep. My baby used to sleep 11 to 12 hrs , after a rough week with teething etc she doesn't sleep in her crib. I have to lie with her for hours until she falls asleep then is up 2 to 3 times a night. We're both exhausted. I tried to let her cry but she just won't stop . I went in every 10 minutes for 1.5 hours to give her pacifier then I gave up !I took her to dr nothing wrong bh help please.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 8:47 am
I strongly recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Weissbluth.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 8:57 am
Another vote for Weissbluth's book.

Funny anecdote regarding the book: I ordered it from Amazon, perished through it and was not impressed so I wanted to return it. However, Amazon said they would refund the money but I could keep the book. I guess the return shipping costs weren't worth it for them. Well a few months later I decided to look at the book again... And this time it clicked. I read the whole book and used the method to sleep train my son. Took 3 nights of crying but soon he slept like... A baby! It only lasted until he learned how to climb out of his crib though.

lucky14

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:18 am
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child was the book that helped us too.

Queen6

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:50 am
Stop going in. Stop laying with her. She is fine - she will get out of it.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
I'm nearly losing it from lack of sleep. My baby used to sleep 11 to 12 hrs , after a rough week with teething etc she doesn't sleep in her crib. I have to lie with her for hours until she falls asleep then is up 2 to 3 times a night. We're both exhausted. I tried to let her cry but she just won't stop . I went in every 10 minutes for 1.5 hours to give her pacifier then I gave up !I took her to dr nothing wrong bh help please.

Contact Sabrina at Baby sleep train. She really helped me!! babysleeptrain@gmail.com

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:58 pm
At 15 months she knows how to put her pacifier back in by herself, doesn't she?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:00 pm
Yes, but she throws it out of the crib because she knows I will get it for her.
I know something needs to be done, but letting her cry is just so hard for me

lucky14

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, but she throws it out of the crib because she knows I will get it for her.
I know something needs to be done, but letting her cry is just so hard for me

First night we did (modified) cry it out I left the house (my husband was home) because I wanted to go into the room so badly. I went in a couple of times before that to reassure him that we were there, but it was time to sleep. It sounds like your baby is doing this in the middle of the night, so leaving may not be possible, but if you have a big house and can maybe go to a different part of it where the crying may not be as loud (so you wont be so tempted to go in) maybe this would help?

Btw my husband said my baby cried for like 15 minutes or so if I remember correctly and that was that... you can decide if you want to go in again if she hasn't stopped after a certain amount of time.

now if my baby wakes up in the middle of the night we just tell him it's time to go back to sleep and that's usually all he needs to go back down.

Lani22

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:54 pm
I just sleep trained my 13 month old. The only thing that worked was letting him cry without going in. Going in just made him cry harder and longer. It took about a week. The first few days he would throw up after a few minutes so I went in changed him the crib etc but put him right back in.... my baby is a different baby. He is so much happier bc he is sleeping soooo much better. I wish I would have done it months ago.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 11:45 am
Lani22 wrote:
I just sleep trained my 13 month old. The only thing that worked was letting him cry without going in. Going in just made him cry harder and longer. It took about a week. The first few days he would throw up after a few minutes so I went in changed him the crib etc but put him right back in.... my baby is a different baby. He is so much happier bc he is sleeping soooo much better. I wish I would have done it months ago.

I took everyones advise last night and just put her in the crib. Took 1.5 hours for her to fall asleep I nearly lost my mind. I ended up taking a shower to drown out the crying I just couldnt deal ! Then she cried for about 25 minutes in middle of the night, I went in and gave her pacifier and put her back in. Was very hard to hear her cry but I'm determined.

Lets see how long this takes..

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 12:29 pm
You never leave a baby to cry for 1.5 hours. It is cruel. What message do you want to give your baby? That mommys not there for her? She will grow up knowing that Hashem is not there for her...

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
You never leave a baby to cry for 1.5 hours. It is cruel. What message do you want to give your baby? That mommys not there for her? She will grow up knowing that Hashem is not there for her...

Really? Rolling Eyes

pesek zman

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

It's fine if you don't believe in sleep training. But don't insinuate that sleep training will lead a child to question Gd and His presence in her life. One has nothing to do with the other

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:

How so?
I have been crying to Hashem for many things, among them moshiach, and shidduchim for relatives, for more than 1.5 years. Does that mean He's not there for me?
Sometimes the answer is not right now because Hashem knows what's best.
And I think it's best for my child to learn to get a good night's sleep in the way that is good for him.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:

OMG!!!!
Where do such people come from?
Letting a baby learn to self soothe is not something she will grow up traumatized from.
Honestly I wonder if she even remembered by the morning.
Last night, she only cried for 20 minutes, then slept til 6am.
A bit early for us, but I'll take it..

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 2:35 pm
I feel bad for your baby..."only 20 minutes" is eternity for a baby. If you already sleep trained her and she is sleeping without crying anymore then great. But if she is still crying for long periods of time and you dont have the heart to let her cry then read the " No Cry to Sleep Solution " by Elizabeth Pantley for some great ways to have your baby sleep through the night in a natural loving way. Hatzlacha in getting some sleep!Wink

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
I feel bad for your baby..."only 20 minutes" is eternity for a baby. If you already sleep trained her and she is sleeping without crying anymore then great. But if she is still crying for long periods of time and you dont have the heart to let her cry then read the " No Cry to Sleep Solution " by Elizabeth Pantley for some great ways to have your baby sleep through the night in a natural loving way. Hatzlacha in getting some sleep!Wink

Its the second night of sleep training. Should I give up?!

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
Its the second night of sleep training. Should I give up?!

No. Of course not.

Seriously. Those who are very against sleep training your child should not post on a thread looking for advice on sleep training your child.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 4:30 pm
Don't give up! Sleep training can take a few days, and the second day is often worse than the first. . .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics