Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Ideas for hostess gifts for people housing guests for simcha

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 7:49 am
10-20 dollar price range

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:55 am
Elegant platter of dried fruits and nuts; bottle of good wine (not Kedem Malaga or Concord); small flower arrangement that you pick up yourself from the florist or arrange yourself, buying supplies from craft store (delivery will up the cost by a lot); small basket of good fruit--again, much cheaper if you assemble it yourself; "Shabbos in a box" containing challahs, bottle of grape juice, two candles, some sort of mezonos and fruit. It all depends on how much work you're willing to put into the gift and delivery.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:56 am
Oh, and mazal tov!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:20 am
Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:24 am
I want to say upfront that while it's very nice, I'm so not into the necessity of hostess gifts. I feel like the Baal Simcha has enough expenses, and I'm happy to host without needing a gift. I wish there wouldn't be this extra pressure.

One nice gift we got was a decorative type of Havadala candle - a small, pretty, self-standing type with intricate artwork. Really interesting idea, and very useful.

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:31 am
Right now, you can buy things discounted for the holidays. I bought a Shannon crystal bowl which is normally $20.00 for $7.00 at Macy's last week. I filled it with hard candy and wrapped it pretty. It looked like I paid 5 or 6 times as much.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:35 am
Basic toiletries (travel sized mouthwash, flossers, bobby pins, safety pins, mini tissue packs, sewing kit...)
Tea lights + matches
A momento to take home
Little cellophane bags of nuts, dried fruit, chocolates, candles tied with a cute ribbon or twist tie
Water bottles, either a couple small ones or a large one and cups

Not all hosts want open food in their guest rooms.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 11:11 am
Chayalle wrote:
I want to say upfront that while it's very nice, I'm so not into the necessity of hostess gifts. I feel like the Baal Simcha has enough expenses, and I'm happy to host without needing a gift. I wish there wouldn't be this extra pressure.

One nice gift we got was a decorative type of Havadala candle - a small, pretty, self-standing type with intricate artwork. Really interesting idea, and very useful.

Yes. Always make it something consumable. A havdala candle. Wine. Excellent candy or desserts. Flowers. Even kitchen linens, which get stained or worn out regularly. Not something else to dust.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 11:25 am
What we have found goes over very nicely is a donation in the host's name to an organization that deals with hachnosas kallah. The organization provides a nice card which we send the host.

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 12:04 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
What we have found goes over very nicely is a donation in the host's name to an organization that deals with hachnosas kallah. The organization provides a nice card which we send the host.

I think you have to know your host. I consider those a non-gift unless it is to a charity that I am specifically soliciting donations for.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 12:54 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Basic toiletries (travel sized mouthwash, flossers, bobby pins, safety pins, mini tissue packs, sewing kit...)
Tea lights + matches
A momento to take home
Little cellophane bags of nuts, dried fruit, chocolates, candles tied with a cute ribbon or twist tie
Water bottles, either a couple small ones or a large one and cups

Not all hosts want open food in their guest rooms.

These are thoughtful and appropriate things to provide to the oot guests staying at someone's house. OP was looking for gifts to thank the people at whose houses her simcha guests were staying.

STMommy

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:29 pm
something like this:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....owels

sky

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:45 pm
We host a lot and I never need a present but here is a list of some items we have received:

Favorite: books - Children book for family with young children, Adult book otherwise, or connected to season, like chanuka
Pitcher
Vase
Umbrella stand
Kitchen Towels (they were great quality and pretty from Marshall's - I really enjoyed them).
Magazine rack
Bottle of ameretto
Guest book for guest bedroom
Bottle of wine (very common)
Candy platter
Napking rings (never used because didn't get enough)
Real Flowers
Immersion blender (a family I host their married children a lot gave me this)
pretty mini-candle tray or tea light holders (appropriate for guests)

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 2:56 pm
I have sent food items that get used that Sahbbos, such as mini babkas in a nice box or a small cheesecake (that was shavuos time). both were appreciated.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:02 pm
zaq wrote:
These are thoughtful and appropriate things to provide to the oot guests staying at someone's house. OP was looking for gifts to thank the people at whose houses her simcha guests were staying.

Oops, just saw that now.
Idea now all the posts make sense!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics