Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My daughter is taking Pics today in bybp HELP

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:18 am
Does any one have a daughter in bybp taking pictures today?
My daughter has long thick hair that is always pulled back in a pony. Occasionally I have it professionally done for a simcha.
She claims that all the girls come to school on picture day with their hair blown straight or curled. (She's in 6th grade)
I purchased a curling iron and a straightener.
We tried both last night.
I guess im just not good with hair. 'My daughter went to school today feeling not good abt her hair and im feeling terrible!!!!!. Btw, when done proffesionally, her hair is gorgeous. But was I supposed to go professional??
Any one like me, who has no idea how to straighten their girl's hair?
Any tips for the future.
Why all this pressure???
Im feeling terrible!!!!!

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:07 am
Tip for the future - see if you have any neighbors/friends with teens who are into hair, they can be as good as professionals (to an extent, obviously - you might want to outsource your wedding updo. Or not, some kids are GOOD) and are often happy to do these things for fun.

Second tip for future - try to see if she can learn to embrace her hair the way it is. Teasing it into other shapes usually comes out looking worse than whatever G-d assigned to you (except super frizzy. But I'm talking curly to straight or straight to curly.) I went with the masses and got my hair blown for some school pictures, and looking back it really doesn't look like me and I feel silly (even worse for the ones where friends told me to take off my glasses. Weird.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:14 am
seeker wrote:

Second tip for future - try to see if she can learn to embrace her hair the way it is. Teasing it into other shapes usually comes out looking worse than whatever G-d assigned to you (except super frizzy. But I'm talking curly to straight or straight to curly.) I went with the masses and got my hair blown for some school pictures, and looking back it really doesn't look like me and I feel silly (even worse for the ones where friends told me to take off my glasses. Weird.)

THIS is the most important part!

I spent years despising my straight hair, thanks to my mom who dragged me to get smelly, painful perms (yay, 70's. Confused ) Once I learned to enjoy my hair the way G-d made it, I was a much happier person. Now, I play with my hair to amuse myself, not to win anyone else's approval.

DD has blonde, waist length, stick straight hair. I've taught her that we are all made exactly the way we are supposed to be, according to G-d's plan for us.

She used to go to a public school that was 80% African American. She came home from 2nd grade, so upset that she couldn't get those fancy little braids! (She also wanted brown contact lenses, and a tan.) It's interesting how cultural beauty standards can mess with your head and your self esteem.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:23 am
My daughter is also taking picturea today in BYBP. I just straightened her hair a bit, put on a headband and that is it. Im sure your daughter will look beautiful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children