Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Preventing gloves from getting lost

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:49 pm
I searched before posting but only see old threads .... What is the magic tip to save me from supporting the hosiery stores this winter as I do every year ?! The clips always fall off and get lost .... I have tried pinching it tight with pliers but if gloves get tugged they still come off cracking the clip due to the tention.... I'm thinking of sewing it them with a really short elastic due to he hazard of being caught in the bus doors chas vesholom ....

Anybody has a better idea ?

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:57 pm
Mitten clips? The clips are like paci clips, I think they would come off if caught in a bus door. https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UT.....clips

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:09 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Mitten clips? The clips are like paci clips, I think they would come off if caught in a bus door. https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UT.....clips

I wrote in my OP that mitten clips don't work but thanks

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:18 pm
As a preschool director I recommend sewing an elastic string on both ends (on coat and on glove)

iriska_meller

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:57 pm
I second elastic string for nicer mittens.
This year I also bought 20 pairs of one size fits all stretchy black gloves at Walmart, they were like 3 pairs for $1, so I just take another one when they get lost. Did the same thing with socks

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
As a preschool director I recommend sewing an elastic string on both ends (on coat and on glove)

Thanks that's exactly what I was thinking if kept short it should still be safer than long elastic through the sleeve

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:02 pm
Yes, sew on with tiny piece of elastic, or if you need to be able to wash the coat separately from the coat, sew on 2 tiny pieces of elastic with a small secure plastic buckle in between. This is what I do for hats.

Like this, though I don't know what size I have exactly as I purchase it at the sewing store.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:13 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
I second elastic string for nicer mittens.
This year I also bought 20 pairs of one size fits all stretchy black gloves at Walmart, they were like 3 pairs for $1, so I just take another one when they get lost. Did the same thing with socks

I would do the same thing with gloves and socks for the kids. I still do it with my own socks. LOL

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:30 pm
I used to buy the mitten clips that cost 2-3$ and keep losing gloves and mittens all winter long. Buying a lot of cheap ones doesn't work for me. I live in a very cold climate and pay between 20-30$ for my kids ski gloves. This year I bought a more expensive brand of clips that cost 7$ a set. It's been 3 months and not a single lost mitten or glove b''h.

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:32 pm
What's wrong with sewing on a piece of elastic. No clips or buckles. How does it get stuck and the driver doesn't see? Doesn't he notice the kid?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:47 pm
Some moms sew on very long peices of elastic & as the kid gets off the bus the driver closes the door & It can stay behind.
It's happened before already.
With scarves too, a child passed away in monsey years ago cause his scarf got stuck in the bus.
My kids don't wear scarves.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:54 pm
No scarves or hanging strings on coats or backpacks when kids use the bus

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
I used to buy the mitten clips that cost 2-3$ and keep losing gloves and mittens all winter long. Buying a lot of cheap ones doesn't work for me. I live in a very cold climate and pay between 20-30$ for my kids ski gloves. This year I bought a more expensive brand of clips that cost 7$ a set. It's been 3 months and not a single lost mitten or glove b''h.

Which brand of clips?

pizza4

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:55 pm
Sewing on a small piece of elastic is your best bet.
Scarves are completely unnecessary for little kids. It's just an extra thing for the teacher to fix for them, and often drag on the floor and seems very likely to get caught in bus door.
You can also sew an elastic to the hat, though with a mitten clip it usually stays on just fine.

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:58 pm
My mother would sew long piece of elastic elastic between two gloves and keep that inside the coat. Poke out each glove from each sleeve.
Seems like posters are saying to sew gloves to a short string that's also attached to sleeve end itself... Don't know why. Seems smarter for it to be completely removable.

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:01 pm
I should make my kids elastic shorter.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 6:52 pm
trixx wrote:
My mother would sew long piece of elastic elastic between two gloves and keep that inside the coat. Poke out each glove from each sleeve.
Seems like posters are saying to sew gloves to a short string that's also attached to sleeve end itself... Don't know why. Seems smarter for it to be completely removable.

Because that way is when it becomes more dangerous with the bus .You need a longer piece of elastic to put it through the sleeves and as it stretches it hangs quite low and can get caught in the door as the driver closes doors and bus starts moving .... There have been such horror stories where children have been dragged . I'm not sure but was thinking a short piece might be safer which is why I am soliciting other opinions

perquacky

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 10:49 am
So use yarn instead of elastic--a long piece that goes through both sleeves and across the inside back of the jacket. That's how my mom secured my mittens/gloves many years ago. The yarn doesn't stretch and the gloves dangle just below the sleeve. Less likely to get caught in a bus door--no more likely than getting a skirt caught in the door, I'd think.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 1:05 pm
perquacky wrote:
So use yarn instead of elastic--a long piece that goes through both sleeves and across the inside back of the jacket. That's how my mom secured my mittens/gloves many years ago. The yarn doesn't stretch and the gloves dangle just below the sleeve. Less likely to get caught in a bus door--no more likely than getting a skirt caught in the door, I'd think.

Nope. As soon as you have a long piece of anything, that's the hazard. Especially on the bus coming home from school when it's not like you've just put them together - odds are high some kids' mittens will have slipped and they haven't bothered to put them on and now you have one side dangling while the other is up in the sleeve somehow.

I think the only way to make sure the dragging disasters don't happen is for bus drivers to make sure to wait until everyone is well clear of the bus before going anywhere, but practically speaking it's better to keep all the bases covered.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 1:14 pm
seeker wrote:
Nope. As soon as you have a long piece of anything, that's the hazard. Especially on the bus coming home from school when it's not like you've just put them together - odds are high some kids' mittens will have slipped and they haven't bothered to put them on and now you have one side dangling while the other is up in the sleeve somehow.

I think the only way to make sure the dragging disasters don't happen is for bus drivers to make sure to wait until everyone is well clear of the bus before going anywhere, but practically speaking it's better to keep all the bases covered.

Of course the drivers should be waiting until the child is on sidewalk and clear of the doorway but I have seen how drivers close the door the minute the kids body is out the door ! That's what scares me . Anyway I ended up sewing little pieces of elastic between glove and coat and I do wait for the buses so it's not like I am not around its Just that a horror story can happen right in front of moms eyes too .

Thanks all
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children