Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing latkes yea or nay?
1  2  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:18 pm
My DD is hosting the Hanukkah party this year. About 20 people. Since she's the hostess I'd like to make it easy for her to enjoy her guests. I've never purposely made latkes ahead of time, but when I've had leftovers I've been successful with freezing them. My plan is to make them sometime next week or maybe even this week. I'll drain and blot them and flat freeze the on sheets and then bag them. Can I get some input please.

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:23 pm
freezing is my second name Very Happy
Just don't overload them in a 9"13. Rather use more 9"13 and fewer layers in them.
Put them straight from the freezer into the oven at around 400, open. they will be delic.
Nothing like fresh, but delic nonetheless.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:27 pm
dr. pepper wrote:
freezing is my second name Very Happy
Just don't overload them in a 9"13. Rather use more 9"13 and fewer layers in them.
Put them straight from the freezer into the oven at around 400, open. they will be delic.
Nothing like fresh, but delic nonetheless.

I've got bakers sheets so we'll be using those.

yksraya

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:33 pm
Great idea!!!! Maybe should make in advance and freeze too!!!! Shhhhh don't tell the kids....

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:45 pm
yksraya wrote:
Great idea!!!! Maybe should make in advance and freeze too!!!! Shhhhh don't tell the kids....

Mine says I need to call her when I'm making them so she can come over to test a couple. She say's it's a matter of quality control Very Happy

yksraya

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 5:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Mine says I need to call her when I'm making them so she can come over to test a couple. She say's it's a matter of quality control Very Happy

Lol! That's cool!

Mine are still young kids tho, and picky eaters at that...

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:31 pm
I always make ahead and freeze for large parties--so much easier! Just put into a hot oven (400-425) directly from the freezer until hot and sizzling. I usually cook on parchment paper to avoid sticking.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 7:37 pm
Freeze in a 9x13 several layers? Then bake in oven in a single layer?

I never thought it was possible to freeze latkes but this sounds like something I should do this year, with the first night being on motzei shabbos.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 8:13 pm
As much as people will tell you "no one can taste the difference" let's not kid ourselves. Fresh and frozen latkes are worlds apart. No potato dishes freeze well, and fried foods don't either.

If you must make them in advance, I would do it a day or two in advance, refrigerate and heat by re-frying (shallow fry).

yksraya

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
As much as people will tell you "no one can taste the difference" let's not kid ourselves. Fresh and frozen latkes are worlds apart. No potato dishes freeze well, and fried foods don't either.

If you must make them in advance, I would do it a day or two in advance, refrigerate and heat by re-frying (shallow fry).

Ppl say the same abt potato kugel, but mine freeze very well and are delicous!!!! I guess it depends on the recipe and how you freeze and rewarm it.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:

[quote]

I can't tell you about potato latkes because I never did it but to say no potato dishes freeze well is wrong. I freeze potato kugel all the time and ppl have no clue. And those that say you can't eat frozen potato kugel and are eating mine that was frozen and say wow this kugel is amazing and I'm like uh it was frozen

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 3:48 am
My parents buy them frozen

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 5:23 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

Love that girl--that's what we call it, too! My fam are my official taste-testers, a job they take very seriously.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 5:26 am
I think they'll be more than fine. Thoughtful of you to help out in this way, since making the latkes is IMO the biggest tircha of an Chanuka event. Do you process your spuds by hand or machine, raw or cooked, and either way, what device/s do you use? Inquiring minds want to know.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 5:32 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
My DD is hosting the Hanukkah party this year. About 20 people. Since she's the hostess I'd like to make it easy for her to enjoy her guests. I've never purposely made latkes ahead of time, but when I've had leftovers I've been successful with freezing them. My plan is to make them sometime next week or maybe even this week. I'll drain and blot them and flat freeze the on sheets and then bag them. Can I get some input please.

Personally id make the mixtue and freeze them raw. Thats becaude I love everything fresh. But they totally fine to freeze already fried just make sure they r heated up enough otherwise will be soggy

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 6:03 am
You can't freeze potato latkes raw.

I'm also going to be the latke-maker for this year's party, for about 40 people. My sis is making the party in Lakewood, and most of my siblings will be driving in from all over NY...since I don't have to travel, and I don't have to set up, I volunteered for the job. I plan to do it right after Shabbos, and I'll be using several frying pans at once to speed up the process. I'm lucky enough to have two superb assistants (my teen DDs).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 6:10 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

Tongue Out
I have a relative who used to check the soup erev Shabbos to be sure it was kosher.
(Sometimes he had to take seconds, not sure if that was for a mehadrin hechsher.)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 6:14 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Tongue Out
I have a relative who used to check the soup erev Shabbos to be sure it was kosher.
(Sometimes he had to take seconds, not sure if that was for a mehadrin hechsher.)

It's a mitzva don't you know? toameha and all that....my kids make sure the food is good every Erev Shabbos....the chicken soup and potato kugel have extra checking requirements....

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 6:17 am
unless you are prepared to fry them fresh at the party I don't think it makes a difference if you freeze them or make them a day or a few hours in advance and refrigerate them. I've frozen latkes very successfully.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 6:52 am
Chayalle wrote:
You can't freeze potato latkes raw.

I'm also going to be the latke-maker for this year's party, for about 40 people. My sis is making the party in Lakewood, and most of my siblings will be driving in from all over NY...since I don't have to travel, and I don't have to set up, I volunteered for the job. I plan to do it right after Shabbos, and I'll be using several frying pans at once to speed up the process. I'm lucky enough to have two superb assistants (my teen DDs).

Why cant u freeze it raw. U can freeze raw kugel mixture its the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen