Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does my kid have ASD??
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious- what were you doing with him that allowed him to make "huge strides" while you waited?

My son is a lot younger. He was two at the time when we made the appointment and is three and half now. I think starting when younger helped him.
I did a lot of reading and changed my methods of how to deal with him.
He had major sensory issues (I don't want to go into detail, since I may reveal myself). Daily varied sensory play helped him tremendously that most sensory issues are now no longer noticeable and he is much more "regular" now.
I credit his preschool/daycare with a lot of the help given to him. They have regular visits from professionals who sit with the teachers and my son and show them different techniques.
We do playdates almost every week and I sit on the floor and show him how to properly interact.
I talk to him and together we model what to do in different social situations.
I'm sure that some of the issues were outgrown on their own as well.
We still have a way to go, but we are very grateful for we are now.

ETA: Since we still never had the formal diagnosis, it's possible that he doesn't have ASD; my pediatrician suggested ASD. He definitely had sensory issues, is very rigid and fixated on certain topics unlike most other kids, and needs help in the social areas. He is also extremely bright.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children