Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 11:59 pm
Has anyone heard of giving medicine to the entire household if one child has pinworms? I just bought meds for pinworms and that's what it says on the box.

My son just got pinworms for the first time and I'm so grossed out. They say the eggs can float in the air and be swallowed. My throat feels ugh right now.

Either way can anyone tell me anything about pinworms? If he got it once does that mean he's prone to get it all the time by just eating one Candy or jelly?
Do the pinworms actually need to be taken out or is just treating with meds or putting a garlic in the pamper enough?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 12:13 am
First of all relax! then I do think if u can get rx for albenza would be a good idea but over the counter reeses also works. It will kill the pinworms then take it again in ten days to kill the new eggs that hatch. About the whole family taking it depends most Dr say to give it to rest of the family but I personally wouldn't only if I think another kid caught it. It usually spreads if you bathe kids together or use the same bathroom. Just be on top of washing hands after changing diapers.... Good luck! Hope u get rid of it fast!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 12:56 am
I gave him a dose of Reeses. Pharmacist told me to repeat dose in 2 weeks. Does that mean that for the next two weeks he could be having them every night or so?

Im so grossed out that I just stripped linen in my room as well cause I pampered him on my bed before putting to sleep?

Do I still need to worry about this so much tmrw?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:19 am
How Long is it considered contagious?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 2:04 am
amother wrote:
I gave him a dose of Reeses. Pharmacist told me to repeat dose in 2 weeks. Does that mean that for the next two weeks he could be having them every night or so?

Im so grossed out that I just stripped linen in my room as well cause I pampered him on my bed before putting to sleep?

Do I still need to worry about this so much tmrw?
no, your child should not have the pinworms and itchiness until the next dosage of meds. It should alleviate the symptoms right away.
And yes, you should be changing his sheets and wash them on hot.
ALso, we also give the meds to everyone in the household. You just never know.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 8:34 am
Thanks! I was so nervous!

Miri1

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 3:31 pm
Although as you approach the time of the second dose you might want to be extra careful, because that is around the time that the new worms will hatch...

If he is still in diapers, and you have him sleeping in a one piece sleeper though, he is unlikely to be spreading the eggs around during the night. It's more about diaper changes and washing him. If you can use a shower, then that is preferable to bathing over the next few weeks (so the eggs get washed down the drain right away).

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:42 am
Yes.
However I was told by my ped that if the child is in diapers it is not such a huge deal as the worms/eggs would be "protected" by his diaper.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 11:00 am
Definitely give meds. Garlic people give it orally (obviously for an older child) & also on bottom too. Also try not to give to many sweets.
Pinworms dont travel like nits. They dont jump or go in the air like a germ. Theres nothing to panic. It when a kid sits on toilet seat or pools or bathed together.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 11:49 am
Yes, it is normal to give the whole family the medication. Pinworms are highly contagious and the whole family may be infected but asymptomatic. Of course, ask your doctor for guidance.

No need to actually remove the worms, the way you would for lice. You just give the medicine. Be sure to use two doses spaced apart as directed.

My family had one outbreak, ever. I don't think getting it once means the child is predisposed to it.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 4:26 pm
My daughter just had pinworms. Just make sure to wash his sheets and clothing and towels - they should be dried in a hot dryer or if you don't have a dryer then in hot water in the wash (at least 60 celsius, I don't know what that is farenheit). Make sure to bathe your son every day - that gets rid of the eggs on his tush. Also, keep everyone's nails short, the eggs usually get transferred by getting under long nails and then in food when you eat. Wipe the toilet seat down every day. The medication works great to get rid of them, you don't need to do anything else. Give it twice, after a day or so, you don't have to worry anymore about catching it. The eggs can get on clothing, but don't worry about them floating around, my pediatrician says they are not that contagious. Make sure you all wash your hands before preparing food or eating for a day or two after the medication is given, and then again for a day before and after the second dose. If you see your son or other kids scratching their tushies, then have them wash their hands right away, and try to clean under the nails.

Pinworms are not caused by eating candy or sweets - these don't cause worms, make any predisposition to worms, or keep the worms around longer. Really. Worms are caught from other kids who have worms. It's common in little kids because they put their hands and their stuff in their mouths a lot.

My doctor says not to bother treating other family members unless they show symptoms, though I know other doctors who say treat all the kids, but don't bother with the parents. We were careful, and didn't get it ourselves and didn't take the medications. Also, if you're pregnant or might be pregnant, ask before taking it. Some are ok and some aren't.

Make sure to tell any daycare or preschool that your son has it, otherwise he'll just catch it right back from the other kids.

It'll be over before you know it.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:20 pm
Keep nails nice and short and wash hand often like before meals, after coming inside, after bathroom, etcetera. They usually spread under the nails.
And do not let him play with sand!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:49 pm
I never said that pinworms come from candy if anything they live longer
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics