Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean the mildew on the interior of a front loader?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 9:12 am
how do I clean the mildew that builds up on the rubber piece that is around the opening of the front loader washing machines? Not sure if all have that piece. I tried running vinegar on a cycle but it didn't help. My white laundry often comes out stained with mildew since it touches it as I pull the clothes out of the machine . I tried bleach but that also didn't work well. Is there a special concoction?

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 9:34 am
I stick my hand all the way in and try to get it off with a baby wipe. Be very careful that you don't tear it beside it costs over $250 to replace .

After that - pour a cup of lemon juice into the machine itself and run it on a cycle. (No clothing inside) repeat this a few times.

When doing laundry use very very little detergent because it's the detergent itself that causes the build up.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:06 am
Agree with cnc about using very little detergent. I had a hard time realizing just how little detergent to really use.

pizza4

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:10 am
It builds up so fast- I recently had it replaced.

smile12345

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:21 am
I've heard that running an empty wash every few weeks on the hottest cycle helps clear the machine out and prevents build-up.

babula

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:33 am
I have a clean cycle on mine. It runs empty with the hottest water and bleach added. You can do this yourself if you don't have a clean cycle. Use the hottest water possible and add 1/2 cup bleach. Also store with the door open. Also don't forget to clean the filter.

I also use a powdered detergent as liquid detergent causes mold build up.

hi its me

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 2:09 pm
Where is the filter in the washer? I have one in my drier. Not sure about the washer though

yaakovsmom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:11 pm
There is a product called Affresh that you can get on Amazon. It looks like a big tablet that you toss in and run in an empty, hot cycle. You may have to run 2-3 consecutive cycles initially, and then one each month to maintain. It helped a lot in my front loader.

babula

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:12 pm
My filter is on the bottom left. It has a hose that drains the machine and then I can remove the filter.

Check your manual to find out where the filter is.

I switched to a powdered laundry soda available in Canada called ''Annies''. It works well and my clothes are finally getting clean enough.

sourstix

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:25 pm
So how much detergent is too much and how much s the right amount?

babula

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 9:48 pm
I was told by a repair man that all you need is a tablespoon per load. The pods are good but too expensive for my budget.

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:15 pm
You've gotten some good suggestions for dealing with the mildew you have, but you should also try to figure out why it's happening in the first place. Do you shut the machine door after taking out a load? That's usually the most likely culprit. If so, stop! Leave the door open for the machine to dry out. Otherwise, ask a professional. It really shouldn't be happening. I've never had mildew in my machine and I never run vinegar or anything special through it (except bleach when doing a white load).

clowny

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:55 pm
Front loaders require to clean washer once a month. On my machine, I have a message popping up when it's time to run a " clean washer cycle". There's affresh like one poster mentioned. There's also a powder for cleaning washers from Tide brand. I buy it on amazon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry