Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
LW MO school in Brooklyn?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 6:56 am
We aren't at school age just yet but I am thinking about where my child(ren) will go in the future.
DH has this idealistic view that they will go to Bais Yaakov or Chaim Berlin (or similar). Yes, I know we have to be on the same page. I didn't know he thought this way until after we were married.
We are modern. I am very modern. I would be open to an MO type school, depending. My opinion is that it makes no sense to send children to a school that doesn't reflect the hashkafa at home, whatever that may be. I don't think the schools DH is dreamjng of would even accept me/us. TBH I'd probably be ok with a public school with a large Jewish presence but DH would never go for that...
I feel like there are no options in Brooklyn.
Anyone have any ideas?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 6:59 am
Shulamith is not really left wing, but it is MO.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:01 am
There's Shulamis that's pretty mo.
Torah Vdas is a community yeshiva. I know some mo families that send there.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:03 am
Bais Yaakov or Chaim Berlin vs LW MO?
Why not just go mainstream MO?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
Bais Yaakov or Chaim Berlin vs LW MO?
Why not just go mainstream MO?

I'm concerned about not fitting in with the families.
What do MO schools expect? Do they expect parents to dress a certain way, not watch TV etc?
I didn't grow up remotely religious so this is new territory. Plus I am not from NY so I'm trying to figure things out.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:11 am
amother wrote:
I'm concerned about not fitting in with the families.
What do MO schools expect? Do they expect parents to dress a certain way, not watch TV etc?
I didn't grow up remotely religious so this is new territory. Plus I am not from NY so I'm trying to figure things out.

You need to find out a little more about the modern orthodox approach before you apply to such schools.
Generally they do not expect you to dress a certain way other than a few small details and do not expect you to not watch TV.
LW modern orthodoxy is a lot different than what you seem to be looking for.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:12 am
Have you checked into Yeshiva of Flatbush? It sounds like what you are looking for.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:16 am
ra_mom wrote:
You need to find out a little more about the modern orthodox approach before you apply to such schools.
Generally they do not expect you to dress a certain way other than a few small details and do not expect you to not watch TV.
LW modern orthodoxy is a lot different than what you seem to be looking for.

Ok, thanks. How is it different?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:16 am
amother wrote:
Have you checked into Yeshiva of Flatbush? It sounds like what you are looking for.

I think so too but DH doesn't think it's religious enough...

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:25 am
Is Shulamis still opened? The building was demolished, and I thought they moved to the 5 towns. Perhaps Prospect Park could be a compromise; it's not coed, but not as right wing as some others. For boys, look into Kaminetz on Avenue N or Ahavas Torah on Nostrand, or possibly Torah Temimah.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 8:01 am
doctorima wrote:
Is Shulamis still opened? The building was demolished, and I thought they moved to the 5 towns.

They moved here, 60 West End Ave.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
Ok, thanks. How is it different?

Perhaps you should start a thread on the difference between mainstream modern orthodoxy, right wing and left wing so people can give you specifics.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
I think so too but DH doesn't think it's religious enough...

Yeshiva of Flatbush kind of leans to the left. As I said up thread, I'm not convinced you're looking for a left wing modern orthodox school. But I don't want to guess or generalize. So I suggest you start a thread and figure it out.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 9:32 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yeshiva of Flatbush kind of leans to the left. As I said up thread, I'm not convinced you're looking for a left wing modern orthodox school. But I don't want to guess or generalize. So I suggest you start a thread and figure it out.

Agreed. I suggest you make a list of things you want in a school - eg: not requiring mom to cover hair, celebrates Yom Ha'atzmaut, etc. and then people can tell you which schools in Brooklyn fit your criteria.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:00 am
Bnos Leah is MO. Yeshiva ahavas hatorah for boys. Also todays day mo means something different then MO of yesterday. mo always meant you kept the halachos but you didnt cover your hair & wore pants (young israel 30 years ago). Todays days mo can mean that you wear a shaitel & skirt but you are more modern. I imagine that you are referring to the todays days mo. I suggested the schools that would cater to that.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:13 am
essie14 wrote:
Agreed. I suggest you make a list of things you want in a school - eg: not requiring mom to cover hair, celebrates Yom Ha'atzmaut, etc. and then people can tell you which schools in Brooklyn fit your criteria.

OP here.
We are shomer Shabbat and kosher. I don't cover my hair, I wear pants, am Zionist, watch TV, read non Jewish books, enjoy non Jewish music and secular subjects. Politically I'd say I'm middle of the road with liberal leanings, if that matters.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:29 am
amother wrote:
OP here.
We are shomer Shabbat and kosher. I don't cover my hair, I wear pants, am Zionist, watch TV, read non Jewish books, enjoy non Jewish music and secular subjects. Politically I'd say I'm middle of the road with liberal leanings, if that matters.

To me, it sounds like Yeshiva of Flatbush would be a good fit.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Another vote for YOF and Shulamith.

dimyona

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:04 am
Look into the Luria Academy in Park Slope. They're officially non denominational, but have largely MO leadership and students.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Try the Hebrew Language Academy. A friend of mine sends her ds there and loves it. My friend wears skirts but doesn't cover her hair but is otherwise just like you.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics