Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New Hyde Park

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:36 pm
Tell me about it. What type of families? What are the housing prices? (is there a difference between the Queens side and the Nassau side). How is the commute to Manhattan? What schools are there? Thanks.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:36 am
Anyone?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 9:59 am
As far as I know ...

1) There is a shul and the rabbi is Rabbi Lawrence Teitelman and his wife is Nechama. They are very nice, smart, and solid frum people with nice kids.

2) There is a mikveh.

3) It is close to the hospitals - North Shore and LIJ. Walkable, with difficulty, from North Shore (or maybe both) on Shabbos.

4) People can send their kids to schools in Queens or in the 5 Towns but the Queens schools are cheaper and just as good (if not better) than the 5 Towns schools.

5) I don't know anything else about the community but I feel like the people that live there might be mainly medical professionals.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:13 am
Its like 10min to lij. There is a pizza shop there also. North shore is like an hour walk.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:40 am
Thanks. Does anyone know about housing, and do people mainly live on the Queens side or the Nassau side?
Peach, interesting what you say about the schools, I had the opposite experience, I was unimpressed with the Queens schools and like the Five Towns schools much better. If it is not unreasonable to send kids to Five Towns schools from there, this move could be workable.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 10:58 am
How workable is it to send kids to Five Towns schools? Are there enough families that a van can be ordered?

israeli83

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 10:08 pm
*bumping this thread*
I'm also interested in hearing about New Hyde Park. I've been in that area just to see a doctor, but I like it. Anyone know how's the housing prices? (for rent) which area should I look for when searching for apartments near the shul? how's the community? modern orthodox? any sefaradim?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
How workable is it to send kids to Five Towns schools? Are there enough families that a van can be ordered?

From the Nassau side you should be eligible for district bussing to the 5 Towns. Not sure about from the Queens side.

Devora Sara

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 7:17 am
I grew up on the Queens side of New Hyde Park. I am a BT, & this was many years ago, so my information may not be completely up to date. The frum community there has always been a little fluid: doctors and their families moving there during their residences and many moving away afterwards. The closest yeshiva (elementary) is Yeshiva Har Torah (located on Little Neck Parkway by the Grand Central Parkway- Queens side of the border). Har Torah has a very good reputation educationally, though hashgafically it is on the modern side (mixed gender and more modern ideaologically)
LIJ--the entrances on or around 74 Avenue are VERY close- maybe about a 5 minute walk from Young Israel. When my now 11 yr old was hospitalized as a newborn, I could just about see my parents house from the window in his room.
If you live within the Queens border, I believe you will not get as much busing for farther yeshivot than if you live on the Nassau County side (which technically, somewhat inexplicably falls under the Great Neck School district and will provide busing throughout high school) Housing, especially taxes, are much cheaper on the Queens side.
The non frum community has fallen apart a little. Some have sold all or parts of their synagogues and either downsized or combined with other non frum synagogues. Many conservative and reform families have left and the Indian population has grown in its place.
You do have a kosher pizza place there. I believe the kosher butcher closed years ago and I do not think another has opened up. You have the Lake Success shopping center (on the Nassau side of border) and the Shop Rite (on Marcus) as well as nearby (Hillside Ave) Super Stop and Shop offer a nice amount of kosher groceries.

Devora Sara

Post Tue, Mar 14 2017, 7:45 am
It terms of commute to Manhattan- leace early!!! I went to high school in Manhattan and as long as I was by the bus stop (Q46) by 6am,I could get to school in about an hour (64th &Amsterdam) I would take the q46 to the Union Tynpk & Queens Blvd subway, then the E or F to the B or D then walk. Sometimes my father would drive, but we left just as early. If I left at 6:30, the commute wpuld be twice as long (& I would be late to school)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating