Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Love a name but hate it's nicknames
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 9:10 am
I have a certain name in mind which I love but I hate most of the typical nicknames for it! There is one that I like but dh doesn't love. Is this is a reason not to choose a name, for fear that she will start being called by nicknames that I don't like?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 9:21 am
I have an Eliyahu and I'm really not a fan of the nickname Eli. Nobody calls him Eli because we don't use it, he introduces himself as Eliyahu, vezehu. Yes, people sometimes ask him if he ever goes by Eli, he just says no, and nobody has ever called him that.

rae

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 9:40 am
Ultimately it's up to your child. You can call him whatever you want for the first few years. Eventually he's going to decide what he/she wants to be called.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
I have an Eliyahu and I'm really not a fan of the nickname Eli. Nobody calls him Eli because we don't use it, he introduces himself as Eliyahu, vezehu. Yes, people sometimes ask him if he ever goes by Eli, he just says no, and nobody has ever called him that.

Me too!! Except I knew that ds would be called Eli because dh said he prefers Eli and I have a nephew Eli. Because of this, I ended up making it the middle name.

I think Eliyahu is beautiful.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
I have a certain name in mind which I love but I hate most of the typical nicknames for it! There is one that I like but dh doesn't love. Is this is a reason not to choose a name, for fear that she will start being called by nicknames that I don't like?

Before we picked a name, we also thought of potential nicknames, and ruled those out accordingly.

But you'll hear others here saying other opinions. That is how we've done things.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:29 am
I would name the child if I liked the name, despite not liking nicknames. I have an Avraham who we call Avi. No one calls him Avrumi, which I don't like, because we never did! People will call him / her what you call him generally.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:45 am
We have a son benzion. We almost didn't use the name because I did not like a very common nickname, Benjy.
Thankfully we call him Bentzie and others call him that too.
But I understand the not liking of a nickname that others might decide to use.

theta1870

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:46 am
^^Not necessarily. My friend's DS was named Nathaniel and she was emphatic about everyone calling him by his full name. However by the time he was a teen he was introducing himself Nate and all his friends were calling him Nate. Only his family addresses him as Nathaniel.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 12:20 pm
We loved Elisheva for its meaning but DH hates the nickname Shevy, I like Ellie but it doesn't work for a girl in Israel, and we both felt Elisheva was too long. It's our daughter's middle name instead.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 12:51 pm
My sister hates her nickname and at some point she made our whole family stop using it and always introduces herself using her given name and that was that. Your child will either want to go by a nickname or not. Most people won't let friends call them a name they dislike.

MMCH

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 1:07 pm
I wasnt in love with the name we gave my daughter (my husbands grandmother had just passed away)
so I came up with (what I thought!) was a cute short nickname that wasn't too cutesy , bc her full name and our last name is a big mouthful.

well fast forward 6 years later and my daughter only wants to be called by her full name!
she tells her teachers and her friends and now answers to both but really prefers her full name.

who knows.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 1:12 pm
Watch it... until the kid is maybe 3 or 4 you can decide what she will be called, but I have a 5 year old who started telling all her friends and teaches to call her by a middle name that I don't like. And they do.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 1:15 pm
My grandparents gave my father a name they liked but because they hated the nickname, they made up a different nickname for him, so people used that instead of the default nickname.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 1:53 pm
My sons name is Efraim and I HATE the name effie. Everyone calls him efraim. His name is efraim not Effie.

eschaya

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 1:58 pm
We named our son mordechai, but I have been insistent since day 1 that he is not motty or mordy. I have corrected others when they try to call him by a nickname. Yes, mordechai is a long name for a little kid, but to me it was better than the nicknames. And so far it has stuck.
Now that I think of it, all of my children go by their full (first) names. I just don't do diminutives I guess.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 2:31 pm
eschaya wrote:
We named our son mordechai, but I have been insistent since day 1 that he is not motty or mordy. I have corrected others when they try to call him by a nickname. Yes, mordechai is a long name for a little kid, but to me it was better than the nicknames. And so far it has stuck.
Now that I think of it, all of my children go by their full (first) names. I just don't do diminutives I guess.

Same exact thing for my Mordechai! I don't like Motty or Mordy, but never once did I hesitate to name him Mordechai because of that.

We call him Mordechai, so everyone around us does too. He's a baby, but it fits him well. It's not too long. It's perfect.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
Same exact thing for my Mordechai! I don't like Motty or Mordy, but never once did I hesitate to name him Mordechai because of that.

We call him Mordechai, so everyone around us does too. He's a baby, but it fits him well. It's not too long. It's perfect.

Chai is a nice nickname for Mordechai.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 5:11 pm
My baby is Zev. Sometimes people who don't know him well, like his doctor or a great uncle that we rarely see, will call him Zevi. It irks me just a tiny teensy bit but I don't say anything. Everyone who knows him knows his name is Zev and that's what matters.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
Chai is a nice nickname for Mordechai.

I don't like that either.

I call my sister that. Her name is Chaya.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:40 pm
Not a reason not to call a name. My dd has a fairly long but beautiful name (in my opinion). We don't like the nicknames, we only call her the full name.
Some of her friends shorten it, but by no means everyone, and she always introduces herself by her full name.

I have a friend called Rut. Her parents by no means ever wanted her to be called Ruti. They stuck by it, and insisted, and she is always called Rut, (now in her 40's).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names