Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Fair to cut babysitting hours?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:48 am
in september I signed my son up with a babysitter. she has no set hours, everyone who brings to her has their own schedule. At the beginning of the year I was in a school program and needed full time babysitting, a full AM and PM. Now I am done with school and would love to cut the hours and spend more time with my son. Problem is I already gave the babysitter postdated checks (at her insistence) at the beginning of the year. Is it fair for me to ask her to cut the hours (so I can pay less) or do I have to stick with the hours I set with her at the beginning of the year?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:41 am
You can ask for the checks back- if she doesn't have set times and works with a flexible schedule it's fine. She probably wanted the checks to be sure you paid when you were supposed to

fiji

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:59 am
Just ask her. The worst thing that happens is she says no

keym

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:39 am
I think you need to call your LOR. You made a commitment at the begining of the year to pay a certain amount a month and now your backing out. Halachikly it's not so simple. This is her parnassa we're talking about.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:00 am
Another option is to see if you can find someone to take your spot. That way she's not losing out and you can ask for your checks back.

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:02 am
I don't see why you can't discuss it with her. Tell her you want to cut the hours and ask her what her policy is about that.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:06 am
Didn't you know you'd be finishing school and need less hours?
I think it's 100% okay to ask. Needs change; that's normal. How to proceed if she says no though.... yes, probably a question for your LOR. You did commit.

Queen18

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 12:25 pm
Your giving postdated checks makes it sound like you committed to certain hours. She may have been able to take another child who could do full time hours. You can ask but she may be well within her right to say no.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 1:32 am
OP here, thanks everyone to for your suggestions. in response to a question, I did know that I would be finishing school around now, but I thought I would appreciate the extra babysitting so I would have time to get stuff done...in reality I just feel guilty about having a babysitter watch my son when I could be spending time with him myself #mommyguilt
Also, I didnt want to just bring it up to her because I didnt want her getting annoyed. I still really like her as a babysitter and still want her to watch my son in the morning. Dont want to do anything that would damage the relationship. I feel like she will be annoyed with us if I ask her to cut hours...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics