Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
**Scam Alert**
1  2  Next

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 5:53 pm
I just put down the phone with a scammer.

I got an automated call that I can lower my interest rate and to press 1.
Unsuspecting I dialed 1.
The guy with a very strong Pakistani accent started talking about loweing my 10% (not true) intrest rate to 1.9 to 2.7%.
I asked which cc as I have three. He said all master, visa and discover cards. **suspicion alert** Again I asked which one. Same answer. "All of your master, visa and discover cards"
After that I said I'd like that. I was just going along.
So he tells me that I'd have to pay up the balance of all of my ccs. And he needs a CC to pay for it over the phone.
He needs my CC to pay my CC. Confused

Then I just said im not comfortable with this call and I'm going to hang up now.

Joke is, we do not have outstanding balances at this time.... so just beware.

The number yhey called me from was 5034609987.

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 5:56 pm
This is a very common scam that's around for longer than I am.
They call from many different phone numbers.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:14 pm
yes ~ precisely why I don't give strange digit callers the time of day

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:30 pm
I've gotten such calls.
I once asked is this a scam.
The man was really honest, he said "yes, mama"
I asked, and how much do you scam people for.
He said about $10,000.00, sometimes more.
I told him he should be ashamed of himself, and that he wouldn't like it if they did that to his family.
He was very polite, answering all my questions.

sourstix

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:20 pm
Cbg your post really made me lol. Hilarious. They are so not professional when they do it. It's so obvious. But from theymany calls they make they definitely get some.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:23 pm
I get several of these scam calls a week. Earlier this week someone called me about an outstanding balance I have with XYZ Corp. for $200 or so dollars and would I like to take care of it over the phone by credit card right away so as not to be reported to the credit agency. Right. A few weeks before I got a call from "Marriott". Apparently my DH booked a vacation in Hawaii for us but then forgot to leave his credit card info to hold the reservation and he's not picking up at the office so could I just please quickly give them the info to hold our suite. Mmmm-hmmm. Sure. Rolling Eyes

Ashrei

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:34 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I get several of these scam calls a week. Earlier this week someone called me about an outstanding balance I have with XYZ Corp. for $200 or so dollars and would I like to take care of it over the phone by credit card right away so as not to be reported to the credit agency. Right. A few weeks before I got a call from "Marriott". Apparently my DH booked a vacation in Hawaii for us but then forgot to leave his credit card info to hold the reservation and he's not picking up at the office so could I just please quickly give them the info to hold our suite. Mmmm-hmmm. Sure. Rolling Eyes

Lol I hope they don't call me. I'd be like, "Hawaii vacation!?!?!??!! Take all my credit card numbers!!!!!"

rachaelle

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:57 pm
cbg wrote:
I've gotten such calls.
I told him he should be ashamed of himself, and that he wouldn't like it if they did that to his family.

Unbelievable shock

Any way to trace these people and have them arrested?!

pause

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:22 pm
I have these calls almost daily.

I've won countless trips to the Bahamas, sometimes a cruise and sometimes a 3-day, 2-night stay, airfare included.

I had some genius call me that they discovered a virus on my computer that's sending harmful messages.

I was also asked to participate in a brief survey in which all kinds of personal info was requested.

And let me not even go into all those call about those who can save me 5% on my heating bill, 2% on my utility bills, and lower my APR on any credit card. All the time.

Zehava

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:22 pm
Yeah I get plenty of these. Some tell you your computer is infected with a virus so you'd give them access.
I get the lowering my interest rate alot.
I also got some automatic calls telling me I'm being sued by the government lol.
Or the cruises to the bahamas ones.
One of those days I should give one a run for their money.

yksraya

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:29 pm
I get those scam calls too. They even somehow have my cell # and call from wierd digits, not even normal #'s. And they say "I am calling from the United states government" they have such a broken english and heavy accent. So I say "the government don't do phone calls" and the guy tries to say it again in the strictest voice he can muster. Lol

pause

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:52 pm
Yeah, I forgot about when the IRS called me about my unpaid taxes. Rolling Eyes

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:06 pm
Wasn't there a story last week in the Ami Living about a woman who was scammed into paying over $8000 because she owed money to the IRS?

lizard8

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:02 pm
I had a call last week about an unpaid car payment. The accented person on the other line gave me some weird numbers and info I didn't understand. They asked me my name and address, which I embarrassingly gave. I was nervous I was being scammed so I hung up on them.

Long story short, my husband looked into it and realized his company which pays the lease had forgotten to pay it for the past 2 months!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:14 pm
This was my cell (well I only have a cell) and ive never gotten such calls in the past. I also dont get telamarketing calls often. Like 5 times a year or so.
So it was surprising.
My sister lives overseas and travels a lot. I always get calls with the weirdest area codes.
She actually just took off from hime today! So I was expecting her call but she's in isreal and I was wondering why its not 97......
I've gotten calls from odd numbers for my insurance- auto, life, health, dental, eyecare and even insurance on appliances....

For these people who actually get scammed, this is so sad. Its usually retirement age and above. I remember a story that happened w a chinese scammer who hacked a chinese supplier and had a frum company send payment for a huge shipment of goods to their (scammers) bank account instead of the real supplier. They made up a very similar email address. Everyone was talking about it. And therebis nothing that can be done. Terrible.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:54 pm
Yea, I've learned to have fun with these people! One guy tried to convince me that something was wrong with the OS on my computer so I asked him which OS I have. He said "Windows 8". I said, "Sorry you are wrong!"

And then there was the guy who called my landline yesterday calling about my AT&T service and bill or something like that...NONE of our phone or internet are provided by AT&T. So HA! (But that one got me confused because the CID said it was from an 800 number.)

mfb

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:13 pm
cbg wrote:
I've gotten such calls.

I once got a call that I won some car...
I told the guy "this sounds like a good scam"
And then pushed the off button, as it was hanging up I hear his answer "it is" so plain and simple admitting it, but by the time it registered what he said I had already hung up.

MyTimeNow

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:35 pm
Re spam scams, this had me rolling:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jame.....email

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 12:16 am
runningmom wrote:
Re spam scams, this had me rolling:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jame.....email

Saw this a while back. Just plain HILARIOUS

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 12:37 pm
Although technically not a scam, when I get a call requesting a donation to the fraternal order of police or firefighters or the like, I always break into their shpiel and ask "what percentage of the money you collect goes to the organization?"
More often than not the response is "a full 15% (or even less) goes......" at that point I break in again and say "I'll just give my money to the next police officer I see-thank you" and hang up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics