Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How to pack cooked meat traveling to Europe

kiryat sefer

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 7:20 pm
My family is going to Europe, How do you pack a roast that was cooked already? Do you need dry ice? How long can it be out that it wont spoil?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 7:37 pm
I packed cooked meat that I took (by plane) from Chicago to EY. Everything was in a well sealed foil pan that was inserted into a large ziplock bag and frozen solid. I packed it all into a large soft sided insulated cooler which then went into a duffel bag. When we arrived (b"H no delays), it was still reasonably frozen.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:27 am
I'd buy there, or order. Toupargel delivers in the whole continent, so do some others.

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:35 am
Don't take it they may very well take it away. It's illegal to bring in such sensitive foods into Israel.

I know plenty of people that were caught. And it was taken away. There's a reason they don't allow foods like this to cross the border.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 8:32 am
sourstix wrote:
Don't take it they may very well take it away. It's illegal to bring in such sensitive foods into Israel.

I know plenty of people that were caught. And it was taken away. There's a reason they don't allow foods like this to cross the border.

All I know is that our bags were totally inspected -- I had to empty them completely. The El Al security agent saw the pans and said to me "מה זה, בשר?" (what is this, meat?), and I replied yes and she said it was fine. However, this was around 10 years ago. YMMV.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 10:38 am
I don't know about the legalities.

Practically speaking, the cargo section of an airplane is not heated and it's quite cold during the flight. If you pack frozen food well in an insulated box or cooler bag with ice packs then it should stay frozen during the flight. If you have delays on the ground or your flight is not direct then it might not work so well.

achayl

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 11:08 am
maybe put it split up between two bags. I know of someone who just travelled and their luggage got lost. Don't know what happened to their meat. At least you'd have half of your supply there if that happened.

Zeleze

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 1:09 pm
Pls confirm or do a google search if your allowed to bring meat even cooked to that country

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:00 pm
Ask the airline company

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:08 pm
If you do use dry ice there are lots and lots of forms that need to be filled, a certain amount that's allowed to be used, and lots of inspection of your cooler. At least that was my experience, and that was years ago, before 9/11 so things could not have become easier. You definitely need to check with the airlines before showing up with this stuff. We missed a flight because it was so involved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics