Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Small apartment. Sensitive downstairs neighbor.
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 12:18 am
What kind of equipment or toy should I get to help my son burn extra energy? We don't have too much floor space or storage room. We want to be respectful to the downstairs neighbor.
Thank you.
Edited for clarity.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 12:26 am
I assume you have carpet?
If your neighbor complains about ordinary walking, nothing you do will help. Look into moving.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 2:14 am
I had similar situations & I think that not much can really be done. Downstairs neighbors in general should realize that if people are living above them will hear stuff (that's what they sign up for when taking a downstairs apt) and upstairs residents can try their best to be sensitive to downstairs neighbors, but best advice is to eventually work towards getting a different living arrangement that will be more comfortable and won't need to worry about kids making normal noises.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 3:58 am
My neighbor was so outraged by my little toddlers "noise" I ended up having to bring her to court for a restraining order. Sounds are magnified in apartment living. Like others said, assuming you aren't elephants, they need to learn to suck it up.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 3:58 am
I am currently the downstairs neighbor. I knew to expect noise and for the first 4 years I lived here I had no issue (2 sets of renter's above me during that time, both families with little kids). I was aware if they were or weren't home, heard the occasional murmer of voices and children crying, but it was all very bearable.

A couple of months ago my landlords moved in there (they had previously been on the top floor, now they are using botg) and the noise level has skyrocketed. I know exactly where in the apartment they are at any time. Their bedroom is directly over mine and I know literally every detail of their intimate lives. I know when they're in the shower or the bathroom. My ceiling shakes when they walk. I can't fall asleep until they have stopped moving around, which is often not till after 1am.

My quality of life has completely deteriorated and there's literally nothing u can do. They're just living their lives, but they are clearly very noisy people. I am looking to move, but there's not much available and prices have skyrocketed since I moved in here. I hope I find something soon.

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 7:08 am
amother with the noisy landlords, have you tried a white noise machine yet? I would at least give it a shot for your bedroom if you haven't yet!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 7:21 am
A trampoline. Put a rug under it and have a rule of only jumping ON it, not off of it.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 8:41 am
Iymnok wrote:
A trampoline. Put a rug under it and have a rule of only jumping ON it, not off of it.

I would not recommend it. I've been a downstairs neighbor and the upstairs neighbors had carpet with a trampoline. All the light fixtures shook and the walls would vibrate...to me vibrating sounds were worse than ordinary noise.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 9:28 am
Being an upstairs neighbor doesn't give you a right to completely disregard your downstairs neighbors. Yes, they knew they would have some noise when they signed up for it. And yes, you have inconvenience of being higher up but the privelege of having no one on top of you. That doesn't give you a license to be a jerk.
Signed,
upstairs neighbor who tries their best to be quiet

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 10:15 am
So far there was one suggestion for equipment.
Any others, please?

precious

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 10:41 am
How old is he? Pogo stick doesn't take up much space but needs to be used outdoors. A sit n spin if he's young. A foldable/ collapsable tunnel to crawl through. I have an old couch with lots of cushions my kids climb jump and build with them.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 10:41 am
once had a downstairs tenant that wanted my kids to be quiet during her adult nap-time in the middle of the day ... so long as the hours are not past a late hour into the night or before sunrise ... live & let live

as for exercise ... you have a free gym on the steps ... UP & DOWN is great cardio & builds muscles

don't forget to stretch before & after ... also for arms get 3 - 5 lbs to hold while doing steps

https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All.....bells

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 11:00 am
I had a non Jewish neighbor living back to back with me. My child was just learning how to walk so his footsteps were a bit "heavy". She called the police on us for jumping and excessive noise. That was even after we showed her how he was learning to take his first steps and falls and then he tries again. The police came and saw her complaint was rediculous. She expected us to hold our son and not allow him to learn to walk.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 11:04 am
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla.....doors

otsrock

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 3:12 pm
Scooter board

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 4:20 pm
otsrock wrote:
Scooter board

There is no way that anyone living in an apartment with downstairs neighbors should ever consider allowing their children to use a scooter board indoors.

mille

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
I am currently the downstairs neighbor. I knew to expect noise and for the first 4 years I lived here I had no issue (2 sets of renter's above me during that time, both families with little kids). I was aware if they were or weren't home, heard the occasional murmer of voices and children crying, but it was all very bearable.

A couple of months ago my landlords moved in there (they had previously been on the top floor, now they are using botg) and the noise level has skyrocketed. I know exactly where in the apartment they are at any time. Their bedroom is directly over mine and I know literally every detail of their intimate lives. I know when they're in the shower or the bathroom. My ceiling shakes when they walk. I can't fall asleep until they have stopped moving around, which is often not till after 1am.

My quality of life has completely deteriorated and there's literally nothing u can do. They're just living their lives, but they are clearly very noisy people. I am looking to move, but there's not much available and prices have skyrocketed since I moved in here. I hope I find something soon.

Learn to sleep with white noise, it'll drown a lot of it out. I started using white noise as soon as I started apartment living. Even on the top floor now, I still hear my downstairs neighbors. I get the irrational anger and very rational frustration even if it cannot be helped. But a good white noise machine (like marpac dohm) is essential to apartment living imo).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 8:11 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
My neighbor was so outraged by my little toddlers "noise" I ended up having to bring her to court for a restraining order. Sounds are magnified in apartment living. Like others said, assuming you aren't elephants, they need to learn to suck it up.

In what way did the restraining order help? What was she restrained from, ringing your bell, calling you?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 8:16 pm
Teach him how to do hula hoop.

penguin

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 8:29 pm
Can you ask the neighbor for specific hours e.g. when they might nap & you'll do your best to maintain quiet, when they are out & you can allow your child to let loose? Maybe if they see you're trying to be accommodating they'll be willing to overlook the occasional breach etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics