Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
LaHow to qualify for hachnosas kallah

ludicrous

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 4:33 am
how do organizations decide who to give money/donations to?
just curious because when I was engaged my parents were giving me a hard time and not buying things (I am BT) and my friend's mother paid for some things and said better she helps me out than to start turning to organizations because then they look into you to see if you qualify?
how does one "qualify" for hachnosas kallah?

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 5:55 am
Thats an interesting question. There are so many threads on here from people asking about the insane expected gifts for kallahs and cost of setting up a home with brand new furniture. People always suggest going tonkne of these tzeddakahs. Where are they? How does one contact them?

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 6:03 am
we run a chesed organazation and sometimes we give funds to needy chasanim and kallahs.
some of the kallahs we have helped were orphans. also people who were already getting assistance with food or other daily living expenses would get help.

flippingout18!

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 3:58 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
we run a chesed organazation and sometimes we give funds to needy chasanim and kallahs.
some of the kallahs we have helped were orphans. also people who were already getting assistance with food or other daily living expenses would get help.

Hi. Do you have a website to find out more info? I have maaser money I would like to donate.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 4:03 pm
When I got married I applied for hachnosas Kallah in my city. They had a form I had to fill out and I filled out all the info explaining our situation. I don't remember the exact questions now, but that was 10+ yrs ago. I think I had to have my rabbi sign sponsor it too. A few weeks later I heard back and I had been given a $2000 grant. It was really appreciated by me & my husband.

My husband had no financial help from his family and he was a poor single guy living all on his own with a steady job going to community college part time. He had been on his own since he was 18-19 years old & came from Another country that had no frum Jewish community. He probably only had $1-2K of savings in the bank when we got married.

I'm a BT and any financial help I got was from my parents, who weren't so thrilled at first I was having a traditional orthodox wedding with separate dancing (however, they ended up enjoying my wedding a lot, had a good time and my dad even danced! I had never seen my dad dance in his entire life!). I didn't have much money myself because I had just graduated college 1-2 yrs before we got married.

In the end, between hachnosas Kallah and the money my parents were able to contribute I was able to make a nice wedding, but on a very very tight budget. I got my dress from the gemacht, negotiated A LOT with the wedding hall, printed my own wedding invitations, had relatives & friends take pictures and did all sort of shortcuts to save $.

Last edited by rachel6543 on Sun, Dec 25 2016, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 4:07 pm
frumnflipping wrote:
Hi. Do you have a website to find out more info? I have maaser money I would like to donate.

I sent you a pm.
thanks!

ROFL

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 7:46 pm
I applied for a friend a daughter to yad Batya L'Kallah. Her father died when she was a child and her mother always complained value her lack of money. We needed verification from her high school and our community rabbi. They gave a wonderful package of housewares and gave me leads for free or cheap beds and other furniture.
She was set up nicely and I was proud to help do that.

ludicrous

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 4:47 am
when I got married I was in grad school, not making much money and the person who was "helping" me asked me if I would like a loan to buy housewares and other items to set up. I was wondering why she offered a loan and not go the hachnosas kallah route.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics