Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does coffee make you seriously happy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tigerwife

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:39 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm somewhat sensitive to caffeine so only have a weak coffee. This allows me to have chocolate too ;-)
OP and others, this is kind of unusual. At least I thought it was till so many of you came out of the woodwork. But it's legal, has health benefits if you drink enough but not too much, and here's a thought I heard from the Karliner Rebbe to have in mind when you make your next bracha:
You start off with coffee and you can have it hot, or add something like milk and cool it down.
You can have it dark, or add milk and make it lighter.
You can have it bitter, or you can add sugar and make it sweet.
On the hot and the cold, on the dark and the light, on the bitter and on the sweet, RBSh"O, on all this, we say, "shehakol nih'ye bidvaro."

Love this!

Butterfly

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 11:28 am
PinkFridge wrote:
here's a thought I heard from the Karliner Rebbe to have in mind when you make your next bracha:
You start off with coffee and you can have it hot, or add something like milk and cool it down.
On the hot and the cold, on the dark and the light, on the bitter and on the sweet, RBSh"O, on all this, we say, "shehakol nih'ye bidvaro."

Love this two!
Thumbs Up

iyar

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 11:41 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm somewhat sensitive to caffeine so only have a weak coffee. This allows me to have chocolate too ;-)
OP and others, this is kind of unusual. At least I thought it was till so many of you came out of the woodwork. But it's legal, has health benefits if you drink enough but not too much, and here's a thought I heard from the Karliner Rebbe to have in mind when you make your next bracha:

Love this three!!!

PinkFridge, I'm not an avid enough imamother mother to know you well enough that I'd know where you live. Are you in Israel? Do you know an Aron Razel song from way back called "shanyim sukkar echad kaffeh"?
With deep respect to the Karliner Rebbe (a Chassidus, by the way, based in Israel), is it possible that's where the idea for that song came from?
Anyone else here loves the lyrics to that song?
I'm with the posters here who get a little high from the caffeine in a nice cup of coffee, but just a little bit. But the words to that song can really lift my spirits on one of those gloomy days when nothing seems to be going my way!
"Hachayim yaffim, ve'anachnu muzmanim!..."

HealthCoach

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 11:50 am
It makes me very happy, like I can do anything, or solve any problem. I know that whatever is bothering me, I will feel better after my coffee. I think somewhere in the middle of how I feel with coffee and without coffee is reality.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 11:53 am
I never drank coffee until about 4-5 years ago. I was dealing with a very stressful job and my cubicle at work was right next to the kitchen area with fresh coffee made all day. One day I started drinking coffee when I ran out of tea at my desk and I guess I just became addicted because it was so convenient being there by my desk.

I don't like it black, my coffee has to be doctored up with milk or soy milk. Sometimes I like a little sweetener.

Now I find I really like my morning cup and I'm happier and more functional after I have it. However I'm pregnant now and switched to decaf. I miss my morning caffeine fix, but I'm still happier after my warm cup of decaf coffee. I usually just have one cup in the morning and I'm set for the day.

I do come from a family of coffee drinkers. Both my mom and grandmother drink coffee black. In fact my grandmother drinks a cup of coffee before bed every night!

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 12:19 pm
Caffeinated coffee gets me very high and then hours later (usually in middle of the night) gives me terrible stomach cramps and I vomit for hours.

I am incredibly sensitive to caffeine so I stay far away from it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 12:46 pm
iyar wrote:
Love this three!!!

PinkFridge, I'm not an avid enough imamother mother to know you well enough that I'd know where you live. Are you in Israel? Do you know an Aron Razel song from way back called "shanyim sukkar echad kaffeh"?
With deep respect to the Karliner Rebbe (a Chassidus, by the way, based in Israel), is it possible that's where the idea for that song came from?
Anyone else here loves the lyrics to that song?
I'm with the posters here who get a little high from the caffeine in a nice cup of coffee, but just a little bit. But the words to that song can really lift my spirits on one of those gloomy days when nothing seems to be going my way!
"Hachayim yaffim, ve'anachnu muzmanim!..."

I don't know how contemporary this idea is (and I don't know the Aron Razel song). It was actually Rabbi Eitan Feiner who quoted the Rebbe, don't know which one.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 12:48 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Same here...

OP how much sugar do you put into your coffee?

Either you're very sensitive to caffeine or you're getting a sugar rush.

Or maybe it's a big mug, or two much caffeine. Someone gave us a mug I enjoyed using and after getting pretty hyper we realized I was having 1.5 strong cups of coffee and 2 tsp. of sugar (not terrible) with it.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 2:27 pm
Yes. Yes, it does. Life is beautiful after coffee. Smile

sourstix

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 5:35 pm
Op you know I'm so happy you mentioned this. At first I was like this is ridiculous! And now I'm starting to think this is why I have so much anxiety more so then in quite a while. I feel jittery and have a hard time dfeeling calm. Great you mentioned it. I'm gonna stop drinking and see if this is it. I'm pretty sure this could be causing me too many physical symptoms I don't like at all. Thank you!

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 5:47 pm
YES!!!! Coffee done properly brings me great joy. The BEST part of the cruise was receiving a cappuccino made correctly every morning as I sat down in the dining room for breakfast BEFORE I even requested it. That was sublime.

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 6:26 pm
The problem with coffee is it gives me a temporary boost but quickly after wears off . I never had a problem falling asleep after coffee which is sometimes annoying because I get tired early and need the boost ..

Coffee Addict

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 6:29 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Yes. Yes, it does. Life is beautiful after coffee. Smile

This is exactly how I feel! I have a coffee first thing in the morning. About 2-3 clock I make another cup, a brewed coffee.

Wonder why I'm coffee addict???!!!!

Cheers LOL Very Happy

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 3:57 am
Love it!!! I start the morning off with two cappuccinos from my espresso machine. I switch to decaf from a drip machine for my next two cups.

I enjoy indulging as get ready for my day. I like the ritual best rather than any high.

I seriously miss my real coffee on Shabbos and Yontiff. But the bonus is that DH is in charge of coffee on Shabbos, and the family is together.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 8:39 am
I don't know if it makes me happy.

But if I don't I get more overwhelmed with my day. Sometimes Shabbos morning - if its busy I forget to drink, and then at 3, when the day is overwhelming - I remember I never had that cup - and the situation all makes sense.

I think my DH figures it out before I do - he can tell in teh middle of the day if I missed my cup. And he is pretty accurate.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
I never drank coffee until about 4-5 years ago. I was dealing with a very stressful job and my cubicle at work was right next to the kitchen area with fresh coffee made all day. One day I started drinking coffee when I ran out of tea at my desk and I guess I just became addicted because it was so convenient being there by my desk.

I don't like it black, my coffee has to be doctored up with milk or soy milk. Sometimes I like a little sweetener.

Now I find I really like my morning cup and I'm happier and more functional after I have it. However I'm pregnant now and switched to decaf. I miss my morning caffeine fix, but I'm still happier after my warm cup of decaf coffee. I usually just have one cup in the morning and I'm set for the day.

I do come from a family of coffee drinkers. Both my mom and grandmother drink coffee black. In fact my grandmother drinks a cup of coffee before bed every night!

You can have approx 1 cup of caffeinated coffee a day. Suggested limit is 200 mg. (An 8 or 10 oz coffee is fine. My problem is that my favorite coffee is blond roast, which has more caffeine than other roasts, so I have to stop at an 8 oz cup.)

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:58 am
I'm not addicted or a coffee expert but I do like the taste and as someone said, I enjoy the experience of drinking it (not every day). There's no lasting effect for me though - doesn't keep me awake or anything.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 11:19 am
No, coffee does not make me seriously happy. Alcohol does.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 1:07 pm
Open here,
To reiterate the original question. I'm curious if it makes you feel happy like if you are prone to depression or feeling blah and the coffee actually seems to make your mood almost euphoric and your thoughts significantly more positive. Like a drug.
Ftr, I can't seem to get addicted to it and I don't really enjoy the taste, I dont crave it. I have to remind myself to have it, like a multi vitamin.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 2:07 pm
I can't believe no one mentioned ADD yet. Coffee has this effect on me and my sisters and we all have ADD. My psychiatrist told me it's common.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics