Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Calling all cheap synthetic wig mavens!

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 8:14 pm
Confession: Sometimes as I title a post, I am already thinking of the "immediate reactions" potential Wink

Pursuant to my recent post about wanting an ultimate comfort wig, I realized that I'm never going to be able to invest in a wig with those odds of failure. I'm thinking maybe I'd be better off trying things out in cheap synthetic first. Since we've had threads here before about the wonders of cheap synthetics. That way when if I end up getting uncomfortable I'm not out $1000. If I ever do figure out that certain styles work for me, then I can go looking for an upgrade... not now.

So here's the question that I don't remember being addressed in previous threads on this topic:
How comfortable can I be in a synthetic wig?
How do they tend to compare to more expensive wigs in terms of comfort alone?
Are there specific brands or types or something to look for that might give me a clue to what comfort to expect?

Also, are there falls and pony wigs in synthetic?

What's the best way to shop for this? Are there sheitel machers that deal with this stuff or do they only go for the big leagues? Are there websites with free returns?

mommy27

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 4:31 am
I don't know if they're comfortable or not, since I've never gotten one, but the sheital macher in Baltimore where I got my regular sheital also sells synthetics called Lizwigs and has them on instagram. They come in falls and ponytails, I think. You could search for them to see pictures. I think she mails them out too.

jflower

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 4:40 am
My friend has a lovely synthetic wig. The issue is that it doesn't come in different cap sizes. I usually need a large or extra-large cap size and I couldn't get her wig on my head.

cholenteater

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 4:46 am
Aliexpress has a vast selection for very cheap. You can order a few and still be paying under $50.00.
I have not ordered synthetics from them but know people who have and can get you info if you would like.

jflower

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 5:08 am
http://www.wigs.com/cameron-by......html cameron wig by renee of paris

This is my friend's wig. It looks great on her but she says it only lasts a few months. So if it costs $400 - 500 a year, it might make sense to spend $1500 for a sheitel that will certainly last 3 years.

Of course there are probably less expensive synthetic wigs but this style is fabulous. It looks so natural and is my friend's most flattering sheitel.

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 6:49 am
Try Paula Young. I bought synthetic from there extremely cheap to travel with or do sports with - jet skiing and snow skiing. I slept in them on the plane. Think $50 range on sale.

In some ways I was much happier with the wigs than expensive sheitals. The hairline is much nicer. They have free returns and different cap sizes. I had to sew clips in them all along the hairline because I was using them under extreme conditions.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:27 am
How cheap?
Kanekalon material is good and long lasting.

Jon Renau is the top of synthetic.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 7:10 pm
Ruchel, cheap enough that I don't have to worry about not getting it right! Maybe $100? If it's something with a really good return policy or a sheitel macher backing it, then more. Few hundred maybe.

Squishy I'm only seeing short wigs on Paula Young website. I forgot to specify, the thing that makes me uncomfortable, besides just uncomfortable wigs, is hair. I don't want any hair on my face, ears and neck can be an issue too, and I would really like something that can be pulled into a ponytail so I don't have hair swishing around while I work on the floor with little kids. Also scratchy edges, no. And it has to be lightweight.

I'm OK with something lasting only a few months because
1. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to afford something better
2. My success rate with wigs is really low, so the point is I want to try something disposably cheap until I figure out what works, and then if I find a style that works for me then I'll try to get something similar in better quality.

I'd take more info about AliExpress - I'm willing to take a gamble at that price range, but it has to be a good bet, I'm not interested in spending $50 on total Purim garbage. But if someone tells me what to buy for comfortable, off the face, pony-able, I'll try it...

Looking up Lizwigs, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not in Baltimore but if mail is an option then you never know!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 12:06 am
Is Dolly okay? She'd usually be all over a thread like this.

OMG!

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 12:12 am
My friend spent about 300 for a Miami something. And still is perfect after 2 years

Chloe22

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 4:56 am
I was wondering about Dolly also

Chloe22

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 4:56 am
I was wondering about Dolly also
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels