Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is Jackson for us?
1  2  Next

Maman2

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 7:17 pm
My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a home in Jackson. A few questions about Jackson; Are there shuls nearby? What I the crowd like? do they allow basement rentals? Also, are there any newer looking homes? From what we've seen, the houses looked much older. Any info is greatly appreciated.
tia

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 7:21 pm
Shuls: depends where in Jackson. Some parts are close to Westgate etc and others are only near a "home shul" (shul in someone's home) and there may not be a shul so quickly because of zoning laws.

No basement rentals

Many houses are older, but I'm sure you can find a newer one (for more money obviously)

Mixed crowd, depends on neighborhood

Maman2

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 7:25 pm
Thanks! What is the price range for the average Jackson home? Also, do you happen to know if the real estate tax is the same as lakewood?

sourstix

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 7:40 pm
You could easily get price and tax history from zillow.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 7:56 pm
Jackson is a big town. I have two siblings who live in Jackson, and they are not within walking distance from each other.

Some areas have shuls, and some don't (they have minyan in someone's basement on Shabbos). Some are newer construction big houses in the 600K-700K price range, and some are smaller, older construction in the 300K-400K price range. I don't think there are any basement rentals in Jackson.

The crowd varies depending on the neighborhood. Tell a bit about yourself, maybe some of us can help.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 8:08 pm
Which areas are the yeshivish neighborhoods in Jackson?

Maman2

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:03 pm
Yeshivish/sefaradic. We would fit in to either type of community. Which are the areas in Jackson closest to Lakewood?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 12:32 am
brookwood is yeshivish, flair is coming along and growing, linda is solidly frum working people.

For a regular house, 3-4 bedrooms, nice yard whatever price is now in the low - mid 3's.

those mansions you keep hearing about, way more.

If you want an established area, a little higher, coming along, a little less.

Taxes are a bit lower, but not substantially. Also if you have school age children, school transportation may be an issue. In some areas, Jackson doesn't allow school buses to make house stops.

Also there are still some unresolved issues with Hatzolah vehicles in Jackson. They may only drive with one light, and many Hatzolah members have more than that and can not speed to a call.

In Jackson, it really helps to have a good realtor who knows the neighborhoods.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 12:39 am
Cool chasidish but they are nice people I have a few friends there. Some men wear colored shirts and they are God fearing people.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
Cool chasidish but they are nice people I have a few friends there. Some men wear colored shirts and they are God fearing people.

Colored shirts? God fearing? Mamesh a stira!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:06 am
I'm hearing Brookwood has nice yeshivish crowd - it is very close to Lakewood. I spoke to someone who moved there and she doesn't think busing is an issue. (Toms River doesn't have busing). (But Lakewood shares a lot of borders with Jackson so there are a few areas that aren't far).
I did hear that Friday night mikva is a big problem in a lot of areas in Jackson.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:56 am
curious, does she actually have bussing?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:16 am
My friend who is there doesn't have kids in school yet, her youngest is starting next year. She said she thinks neigbhors do have.

Some are chasidish and the schools have their own buses, I think the chasidish schools go whereever they want.

Its a VERY young crowd. She said most of her neighbors have very young kids so its not like everyone needs busing yet.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 11:52 am
I heard that the White Road area in Jackson also has a mixed working/yeshivish crowd. Brookwood is also a yeshivish mix, probably a bit more to the right than White Road, and closer to Lakewood. For Friday night, it's a long walk but people use the Mikvah on Buckwald (Rabbi Perl's shul). There are many areas in Lakewood that don't have a close Shabbos Mikvah either (think Miller Road area...)

maman2, I know a Sephardic/yeshivish family that lives in the White Road area. They are not young though - they already married off their oldest child.

Brookwood has a nice mix if you are younger. You could totally fit in there.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 12:54 pm
There is also melissa lee, westlake and calendula for newer looking homes. The brookwood homes are very small. Not sure of your price range.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
There is also melissa lee, westlake and calendula for newer looking homes. The brookwood homes are very small. Not sure of your price range.

There are gorgeous homes on these streets, however there is no real shul - just a minyan in someone's house, nothing for the ladies, etc...closest real shul is in Lakewood - Westgate, like a 40 minute walk at least. No Shabbos Mikvah. No transportation. And a mixed crowd (not yeshivish, as OP states she is).

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 2:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:
There are gorgeous homes on these streets, however there is no real shul - just a minyan in someone's house, nothing for the ladies, etc...closest real shul is in Lakewood - Westgate, like a 40 minute walk at least. No Shabbos Mikvah. No transportation. And a mixed crowd (not yeshivish, as OP states she is).

I disagree. I have a friend that moved there who invited us for Shabbos. I found it more of a yeshivish working crowd. But yes, they are davening in a house.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I disagree. I have a friend that moved there who invited us for Shabbos. I found it more of a yeshivish working crowd. But yes, they are davening in a house.

I don't think people here would particularly classify themselves as yeshivish. Great neighborhood though.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think people here would particularly classify themselves as yeshivish. Great neighborhood though.

Depends where you come from the term yeshivish means very different then it means in Flatbush or Baltimore.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Depends where you come from the term yeshivish means very different then it means in Flatbush or Baltimore.

Yes- I'm not from Lakewood originally so when I use the term Yeshivish, I dont mean hard core. I mean all the men originally learned in kollel in BMG etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating