Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Zman play- zusman
1  2  Next

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 7:32 am
anyone go?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:07 am
I did.

The uniforms and symbols were so real, my stomach started tumbling. About ten people died on stage...

Very well acted. Some beautiful songs. Definitely worth it!

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:12 am
Can u give a general idea of what's the story?

UQT

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 11:13 am
Would you say it was very scary as far as pre-teens or teens?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 11:37 am
sourstix wrote:
Can u give a general idea of what's the story?

It's a holocaust espionage drama. I've heard it's supposed to be based on a true story, but I have my doubts. There were some mild historical improbabilities, as well.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 11:41 am
UQT wrote:
Would you say it was very scary as far as pre-teens or teens?

There are guns, used quite often, and some very realistic Nazis. People begging for their lives, violence, "torture", etc. It would depend how exposed they are to Holocaust history, and their tolerance for violence.

I couldn't watch them beating the kids, but I'm a mother... The people begging for their lives or the lives of their families were also hard to watch.

UQT

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 7:02 pm
Doesn't sound like it's for my kids. It's such a nice idea, why can't they just make a nice play? Why do they have to subject people to watching horror? Are there really people who appreciate that?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 7:11 pm
I have bus tickets available for tomorrow from BP that I would sell at a discounted rate. Please pm me.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 7:15 pm
UQT wrote:
Doesn't sound like it's for my kids. It's such a nice idea, why can't they just make a nice play? Why do they have to subject people to watching horror? Are there really people who appreciate that?

I worked on a frum women's movie about a survivor of WWII, a hopeful, rise-from-the-ashes story with only a single flashback to the war itself. I worked the ticket desk at screenings all over the tri-state area, and I can't forget how many chassidish women asked me in their heavy accents with hope in their eyes, "But is it exciting???"

My guess is that their target audience were people who don't see secular movies but hunger for the excitement and spectacle that they assume Hollywood always provides. So including death and torture shows that this is "legit" and "professional".

I've seen some "frum films" with INTENSE ACTION SCENES that happen out of nowhere or for no reason. One had a teenage girl literally hanging by her hands off the 7th-floor windowsill on the outside of a building!!!!!!!!! (Because she snuck into a social services government building to steal her sister's records so they wouldn't be separated in the foster system and sent to non-frum homes? Apparently?? And the security guard was about to walk in on her, gun drawn?? OY.)

I'm all for blowing things up (Pacific Rim's "robots punching monsters" turned me into a cheering ball of adrenaline), but this play sounds rather sensationalist to me... if it's based on a true story, I'm glad there's some historical basis and context, but I find the "yeshiva bochur/kollel guy/random innocent Jewish person is swept up in a web of intrigue" trend a bit, I dunno, unsophisticated? I don't mean to be judgmental or negative, that's just my first impression.

(A yeshiva did a parody of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAYBNFPfdk)

reality mom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 8:17 pm
I was there. It's a great play. Well done. Most actors are professionally trained, as they are not Jewish or Frum. My daughter who is a mature 13 year old and reads lots of Holocaust books loved it, although she cringed and looked away plenty. The dances were... OMG. Professional broadway level Tap dancers. The songs and vocals were beautiful too. It was an overall fantastic play.
ETA. I researched the story online when I got home and saw no reference at all to this story, or even similar. I wonder if its a true story after all, but its a great storyline nonetheless.

UQT

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 8:58 pm
[quote="reality mom"]I was there. It's a great play. Well done. Most actors are professionally trained, as they are not Jewish or Frum. My daughter who is a mature 13 year old and reads lots of Holocaust books loved it, although she cringed and looked away plenty. The dances were... OMG. Professional broadway level Tap dancers. The songs and vocals were beautiful too. It was an overall fantastic play.
[quote]

My point exactly. The dances, set, quality of the producers and actors intrigued me, but I don't enjoy an evening out to watch shows that I would cringe or turn away from watching.

Reesa

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 9:24 pm
was it sold out?

das

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:01 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I worked on a frum women's movie about a survivor of WWII, a hopeful, rise-from-the-ashes story with only a single flashback to the war itself. I worked the ticket desk at screenings all over the tri-state area, and I can't forget how many chassidish women asked me in their heavy accents with hope in their eyes, "But is it exciting???"

My guess is that their target audience were people who don't see secular movies but hunger for the excitement and spectacle that they assume Hollywood always provides. So including death and torture shows that this is "legit" and "professional".

I've seen some "frum films" with INTENSE ACTION SCENES that happen out of nowhere or for no reason. One had a teenage girl literally hanging by her hands off the 7th-floor windowsill on the outside of a building!!!!!!!!! (Because she snuck into a social services government building to steal her sister's records so they wouldn't be separated in the foster system and sent to non-frum homes? Apparently?? And the security guard was about to walk in on her, gun drawn?? OY.)

I'm all for blowing things up (Pacific Rim's "robots punching monsters" turned me into a cheering ball of adrenaline), but this play sounds rather sensationalist to me... if it's based on a true story, I'm glad there's some historical basis and context, but I find the "yeshiva bochur/kollel guy/random innocent Jewish person is swept up in a web of intrigue" trend a bit, I dunno, unsophisticated? I don't mean to be judgmental or negative, that's just my first impression.

(A yeshiva did a parody of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAYBNFPfdk)

You may not MEAN to sound judgemental or negative but your post is oozing condescension.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 8:18 am
I was there
GREAT play all in all. I was highly surprised that frum entertainment has reached such a high level of professionalism. Whoever put this play together clearly knows what they are doing. I hope to see more productions in the future.
Violence was much less than what I expected and it wasn't out of context (as someone previously mentioned that the drama on a lot of frum films are out of proportion and for no reason.)

As far as sold out, I wouldn't know if it was sold out but the place was pretty much full with a few empty seats here and there

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 11:43 pm
It is very interesting to get a different perspective. I was there today for last performance at 1 pm.
The place was half empty. Everybod from cheaper seats came down to Orchestra, where I paid $100 for a ticket and it still had plenty empty seats.

The actors were very professional but it didn't feel Jewish. Somehow, I felt, Zus didn't have that Yiddisha taam for his role. Tap dancing was interesting. Story was well contrived, but I wasn't impressed.

My friends liked it a lot!

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 8:53 am
Why is there a sign in bmg , signed by all the Roshei Y, telling everyone not to go...

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 8:56 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Why is there a sign in bmg , signed by all the Roshei Y, telling everyone not to go...

Because it crossed a line in heimish entertainment. Guns and violence, no moral, and non-Jewish actors - not enough to ban it?

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
Because it crossed a line in heimish entertainment. Guns and violence, no moral, and non-Jewish actors - not enough to ban it?

I hope you are being sarcastic. When will this obsession with banning things that are totally ok stop??

cnc

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 9:49 am
amother wrote:

I think the fact that it was in English (and not Yiddish) is enough of a reason for it to be banned.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:39 am
cnc wrote:
I think the fact that it was in English (and not Yiddish) is enough of a reason for it to be banned.

Not in Lakewood.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics