Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Zman play- zusman
Previous  1  2

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:42 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Why is there a sign in bmg , signed by all the Roshei Y, telling everyone not to go...

Do to this my DH didn't feel it was right to go Sad

And no, the letter said bec of "chukas hagoy" which I think bec it was done like a broadway (the theater, the actors ect.)

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
I hope you are being sarcastic. When will this obsession with banning things that are totally ok stop??

I was being factual, not judgemental in either direction.

But honestly, having been there myself, and being very anti-banning, I'm not sure I am happy about heimish entertainment going in this direction.

I can get this from Hollywood and Broadway. When I watch a heimish production, I want to see that certain shmaltzy flavor. This was almost no different than Broadway. The seperate seating was not enforced, either.

BTW I am no great fan of the women's plays that perform random secular stories, either. Not that they should be banned!!! They are a wonderful way to use talent and a nice safe entertaining way to spend an evening.

But something happened to heimish entertainment when Cinderella became a star.

cnc

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
Not in Lakewood.

I'm being scarcastic in case it wasn't obvious.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 9:25 am
I'm a BT who has gone to Broadway plays, so maybe my expectations were high. To me, the play was long, boring, not believable and amateurish. The violence alone means I will never bring my children to such a play if they have them in the future.

The script was an attempted marriage between a cheap spy novel and a holocaust story. And it was a bad marriage. E.g. It had American soldiers jumping into Warsaw at the height of Nazi power to try to "extract" a Jewish boy (did they even have helicopters in WWII?).

The whole concept was so unrealistic that I couldn't get past it. Nazis having press conferences in Poland attended by Soviet and American reporters?! And the Nazis knowingly allow a Jew to have a restaurant in Polish Warsaw (because he makes good "schnitzel") as they are sending hundreds of thousands of Jews to the gas chambers?! Can someone please introduce the playwright to history?

I think my biggest problem was something someone said earlier. It depended on heavy handed melodrama to evoke emotions. This was not a subtle, intelligent script. The main character, Zusman, was not a very sympathetic character either; it was hard to sympathize with him. I thought it might just be me, but I overheard some teenage girls saying the same thing.

I know that some people thought it was great. And I'm sorry if I have offended you by telling you my true feelings; I mean nothing personal. Maybe a person coming from a different background would feel differently. But as for me I would certainly never want my children to see such a play, and I myself would never go again.

By the way, I love the Zman as a magazine.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a BT who has gone to Broadway plays, so maybe my expectations were high. To me, the play was long, boring, not believable and amateurish. The violence alone means I will never bring my children to such a play if they have them in the future.

The script was an attempted marriage between a cheap spy novel and a holocaust story. And it was a bad marriage. E.g. It had American soldiers jumping into Warsaw at the height of Nazi power to try to "extract" a Jewish boy (did they even have helicopters in WWII?).

The whole concept was so unrealistic that I couldn't get past it. Nazis having press conferences in Poland attended by Soviet and American reporters?! And the Nazis knowingly allow a Jew to have a restaurant in Polish Warsaw (because he makes good "schnitzel") as they are sending hundreds of thousands of Jews to the gas chambers?! Can someone please introduce the author to history?

I think my biggest problem was something someone said earlier. It depended on heavy handed melodrama to evoke emotions. This was a not subtle, intelligent script. The main character, Zusman, was not a very sympathetic character; it was hard to sympathize with him. I thought it might just be me, but I overheard some teenage girls saying the same thing.

I know that some people thought it was great. And I'm sorry if I have defended you by telling you my true feelings; I mean nothing personal. Maybe a person coming from a different background would feel differently. But as for me I would certainly never want my children to see such a play, and I myself would never go again.

By the way, I love the Zman as a magazine.

They based it on a frum novel called Complex Mission, which is based on a Yiddish novel. I was surprised because the novel had many plot holes, and I was expecting a more sophisticated screenplay from the Zman...

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 2:45 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Why is there a sign in bmg , signed by all the Roshei Y, telling everyone not to go...

I see in the newest issue of the magazine they no longer have the rabbi as their advisor. His name isn't there.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
I see in the newest issue of the magazine they no longer have the rabbi as their advisor. His name isn't there.

Really?
He's one of the reasons I bought the magazine. If he's not there, where will they take it? I like my leisure literature presifted.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
They based it on a frum novel called Complex Mission, which is based on a Yiddish novel. I was surprised because the novel had many plot holes, and I was expecting a more sophisticated screenplay from the Zman...

So was I.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:

Who was their rabbinical advisor?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:35 pm
cnc wrote:
Who was their rabbinical advisor?

Bump

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:41 pm
It was Rabbi Yosef Viener, I think from Monsey

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 6:07 pm
Quote:
As far as sold out, I wouldn't know if it was sold out but the place was pretty much full with a few empty seats here and there

I don't know when you went, but when I went there were a lot of empty seats. More empty than full.

Also, I would say the vast vast majority were chassidim. I'm not being judgmental. Just an observation. I saw very few yeshivish or litvish or modern o.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 6:10 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Really?
He's one of the reasons I bought the magazine. If he's not there, where will they take it? I like my leisure literature presifted.

My guess is that he's no longer there because of the play.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 8:03 pm
In a discussion about this today, someone said that in the Chassidishe world they've been putting on professional plays for some time. I haven't seen any advertised, but then, I don't read Yiddish papers.

Can anyone confirm?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
In a discussion about this today, someone said that in the Chassidishe world they've been putting on professional plays for some time. I haven't seen any advertised, but then, I don't read Yiddish papers.

Can anyone confirm?

They're referring to the "Interin" plays, run by Rabbi Eliezer Neuhaus, owner of the Weekly Link publication.

youngishbear

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:

Can anyone confirm?

For men and boys only

In Yiddish

Heimish actors

And as far as I know every play features someone holding on to their emunah or davening or kiddush Hashem or all of the above.

I can't find the patience to watch/listen through the entire thing but I'm sure there are tons of historical inaccuracies and plot holes.

And p.s. I believe some groups have banned them, too.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:42 pm
Quote:
I can't find the patience to watch/listen through the entire thing but I'm sure there are tons of historical inaccuracies and plot holes.

Can you find them on-line? I'd be curious to see...

Are they really professionally done? Sound effects? Guns etc? (Not that I am looking for that, just curious if they have the same elements of this Zman play...)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Can you find them on-line? I'd be curious to see...

Are they really professionally done? Sound effects? Guns etc? (Not that I am looking for that, just curious if they have the same elements of this Zman play...)

Yiddishplays.com
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics