Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Pregnancy/birth beginning of year

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 2:14 pm
I am due in the summer G-d willing. I am wondering if someone can tell me the protocol or their experience with this? Would probably want to start work a few weeks late so that I can have some time with my lo. Is this doable or shouldn't I not consider working next year? I would be starting in a new school so no fmla or anything of the sort.. any thoughts or suggestions?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 5:11 pm
One of my kids was born beginning of September, I was in school for the first week, then off for 8. Not the best timing, but what can you do. Such is life. The school and the students survived my poor timing.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 6:35 pm
It's a little hard as a teacher. I found that once I missed those first few weeks I never 'got' my class in the way I had in the past. I dont think the girls necessarily felt it because they were all really happy, but on my end it wasnt the same. Some girls got discouraged by the super hard sub and began acting out and by the time I came back they had formed that pattern - wasnt so easy for me to undo that.

On the other hand its a baby! Baruch Hashem! And everything was fine in the end! bshaah tova!

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:02 pm
A few weeks late isn't bad. If that's your only concern, go for it! Especially if it's in a Jewish school where there are just a couple of weeks of school then a bunch of holidays and then you can practically start fresh after Succos. Having a baby in the summer is about as lucky as you can get as a teacher. Mid-year maternity leave is a much bigger pain.

If you're not sure whether you want to be working instead of home with your baby altogether, that's a different story. I'm just guessing at some ambivalence because you mentioned an alternative of just not working the whole year.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:06 pm
seeker wrote:
A few weeks late isn't bad. If that's your only concern, go for it! Especially if it's in a Jewish school where there are just a couple of weeks of school then a bunch of holidays and then you can practically start fresh after Succos. Having a baby in the summer is about as lucky as you can get as a teacher. Mid-year maternity leave is a much bigger pain.

If you're not sure whether you want to be working instead of home with your baby altogether, that's a different story. I'm just guessing at some ambivalence because you mentioned an alternative of just not working the whole year.

Well I guess part of my question is, instead of being the classroom teacher if I should maybe be an aide, that way it would be easier to take time off if/when I need to. But I also want to be working to my full potential...

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:07 pm
Do you have experience as a classroom teacher already?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:13 am
seeker wrote:
Do you have experience as a classroom teacher already?

No, unfortunately :/.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:23 am
do you have a job lined up already?

if you dont have a job yet, if I were you and wasn't extremely tight on money I would hold off on looking for a job to start September. Rather have the baby, be home for a bit (of course only if you can) and then look for a teaching job- very often after the yomim tovim schools realize they need more assistants, aids, and staff.

from a teachers stand point- that time of the year is the hardest to take maternity leave, especially if its your first year! (and your first kid!)

of course if you have the job already, I would be extremely organized, have every day planned for the full maternity leave, and tell your principal as sooner than later.

good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics