Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do you let your 2 year old sleep with you when s/he is sick?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:39 pm
Do you let your 2 year old sleep with you when he or she is sick?
When my son is sick, I feel bad making him go back to sleep in his crib in his room if he wakes up crying, because I don't know if he's uncomfortable/in pain etc.
so I let him sleep with me.
Then, when he's better, it takes a few hard nights until he is back to his routine, sleeping in his own room.
What do you do?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:47 pm
climb into bed with him, cuddle for a while, then go back to your own bed.

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:50 pm
Yes. Yes. Yes. Cuddle as much as you can. He won't stay in your bed forever

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:51 pm
Yes I do.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:52 pm
Of course!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:54 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
climb into bed with him, cuddle for a while, then go back to your own bed.

He's in a crib.

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to know I'm not crazy in doing what I do!

Would your answer change if you were pregnant (and worried about catching whatever your child has)?

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 7:00 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
He's in a crib.

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to know I'm not crazy in doing what I do!

Would your answer change if you were pregnant (and worried about catching whatever your child has)?

Honestly, no it wouldn't.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 7:09 pm
honestly I don't think sleeping with your toddler makes you more like to catch whatever he has. You are around him a lot regardless if you'll catch it you'll catch it.
B'shaa tova

Another suggestion is with our 2 1/2 year old we put her on her crib mattress on the floor in our room one time when she wasn't feeling well. I don't like having a little squirmy body in my bed with me but that's just me.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 7:44 pm
I can't sleep with anyone in my bed. Sometimes I'm so exhausted with a newborn that I fall asleep while nursing but that's a temporary situation.

If I have a sick child still in a crib then I will hold him/her while sitting in a rocking chair. When the child is calm enough to go back to sleep I put him back in the crib and go back to bed. For an older child I will snuggle with them in their own beds until they're sleepy or sleeping.

I have no problem cuddling with a child or multiple children in my bed once I'm awake in the morning. I just can't have anyone sharing my bed to sleep.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:32 pm
We never took our 2 year old to sleep in our bed, at all. So much so that if we ever want to, out of desperation, (when she's teething, sick) she doesn't sleep there. She associates our bed with play (weekend mornings) not sleep, since that's never been her norm.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:33 pm
Yes, of course my 2 year comes into my bed when she's sick.

She also has asthma, so sometimes, if she's not sick but I'm concerned about her breathing, I'll open a pack n play in my room for her and put it right next to my bed.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:35 pm
I had a couch in the room that had the crib so I would sleep on the couch and my son in the crib. He knew I was there and I was able to be on alert should he need me. Sometimes we both slept on the couch together

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:39 pm
No
Anything dh and kid would sleep on the couch.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 10:17 pm
Sick kids usually end up with DH in his bed. He has a stronger immune system and the ability to sleep while being coughed on by a tossing and turning kid. But we don't send them away. If they're feeling so miserable they need that extra love and closeness.

abaker

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 10:39 pm
I definitely do. It makes him feel better and makes me worry less, so we all get a better night sleep that way.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 10:48 pm
a 2 year old; a 12 year old; a 20 s/t year old ... yes yes & yes ~ did I mention yes

whenever someone needs comfort that's the best way to help them feel nurtured

clakop

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 9:43 am
Same as Greenfire here, whatever the age (until they marry!!) when someone is sick sleeps in bed with me or my DH, or both of us. I don't feel good leaving a sick kid alone in bed and I want him or her to feel we take care of the sick ones

MadameX

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 7:11 pm
greenfire wrote:
a 2 year old; a 12 year old; a 20 s/t year old ... yes yes & yes ~ did I mention yes

whenever someone needs comfort that's the best way to help them feel nurtured

Ditto

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 9:56 pm
Interesting to see this. I have never let my kids sleep in my bed, sick or not. It would keep me up....

mommyhood

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 10:08 pm
No kids are never allowed to sleep in my bed. On rare occasion I let them sleep on the floor of my room if theyre really sick but most times when they come in I take them back to their bed and put them back to sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics