Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Writers - Be Kind! How'd you start? How much do you earn?
1  2  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:58 pm
I tried asking this in the how much do you make thread but that didn't go over so I'll try here.

Can you elaborate if you write for magazines businesses agency etc.

How did you get your job/clients

What can you tell the rest of us?

agreer

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:10 am
I'm actually curious if anyone has written a novel. If you did, can you tell us about that too?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:42 am
I am Pewter from the other thread, and I write for one of the frum magazines. The way to make money writing in this way is--obviously--with a lot of siyata dishmaya, and by becoming indispensable to your editors. This means you turn things in early, and often, and well. Stay within the perimeters of the assignment, suggest ideas for new articles, and volunteer for another piece even when you think its a biiiit too much. I started off half a dozen years ago by writing one article every other week, and now I am writing around 6 a week.

Re the novel question, I have also written several novels. They are great for name recognition, and they look pretty on the shelf, but unless you are a crazy amazing bestseller you don't make more than a few thousand at the most in the frum publishing world; its just too small of a market.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:57 am
amother wrote:
I am Pewter from the other thread, and I write for one of the frum magazines. The way to make money writing in this way is--obviously--with a lot of siyata dishmaya, and by becoming indispensable to your editors. This means you turn things in early, and often, and well. Stay within the perimeters of the assignment, suggest ideas for new articles, and volunteer for another piece even when you think its a biiiit too much. I started off half a dozen years ago by writing one article every other week, and now I am writing around 6 a week.

Re the novel question, I have also written several novels. They are great for name recognition, and they look pretty on the shelf, but unless you are a crazy amazing bestseller you don't make more than a few thousand at the most in the frum publishing world; its just too small of a market.

If you write 6 articles a week, are some under pen names?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:44 am
Yup!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:46 am
I'm a copywriter. I work in a creative agency and write marketing content for businesses - websites, ads, emails, brochures, etc.

My entrance salary was 35k two years ago. I scaled down my hours since then and took some private clients, and projected earnings for this year are 50k+.

I started by reading everything I could on the topic, and reaching out to new graphic designers to offer copywriting for cheaper than the going rate. Once I had a portfolio, I reached out to creative agencies.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 10:23 am
amother wrote:

How do you generate ideas?

I love writing once I'm given a topic...

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 10:34 am
Pewter/Green how did you start with the magazine?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:06 pm
[quote="amother"]How do you generate ideas?

I love writing once I'm given a topic...[/quote

You just keep your eyes and your heart open and your mind generates ideas without you even realizing it. When I think of something when I don't have access to my computer, I leave a quick voice note on my phone, because if you don't give them body, ideas tend to float away. Also, you can bug people. I bug people. Its great. Also, once you have a relationship with your editor, you can brainstorm together.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:09 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
How do you generate ideas?

I love writing once I'm given a topic...[/quote

You just keep your eyes and your heart open and your mind generates ideas without you even realizing it. When I think of something when I don't have access to my computer, I leave a quick voice note on my phone, because if you don't give them body, ideas tend to float away. Also, you can bug people. I bug people. Its great. Also, once you have a relationship with your editor, you can brainstorm together.

Love your response, thanks Smile

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:10 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Pewter/Green how did you start with the magazine?

I heard from an editor of theirs (whom I met in a very roundabout, hashgacha pratis sort of way) that they were looking for stories in a specific genre that I had never done before. I went for it anyway, because 99 percent of success is in the showing up.

In the beginning, around 1/3 of my articles were rejected. Once you get the idea of what they are looking for, you can balance your voice with their needs, and come up with a winning formula.

Writergirl

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 1:24 pm
I also write for frum magazines (and do a little copywriting for one marketing agency) It's not my full time job but I do make about 20 - 25,000 per year baruch Hashem. It's a combination of what everyone else said plus bundles of siyata dishmaya.

I always knew I wanted to write and I just went for it - with lots of terror in my heart and lots of prayer. I remember dreaming of seeing my name in a byline....Smile

I read a lot, worked hard, got a little help from a mentor - great idea btw and baruch Hashem found an 'in' in many magazines.

It gets easier and harder, more fun and scarier as I tackle bigger and bigger projects, but wow is it rewarding.

There's no way to do that other than to sit down and write. Then submit, get rejected, get accepted and keep chuggin.

Good luck!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:31 pm
I'm so grateful to all respondents.

I'm feeling so inadequate though!

I've really am too shy to get my foot in and I can't seem to make it through the door - I tried both magazine and copywriting but I never got too far.

Amother who works for creative agency did you start out full time? Do I have any hope as a part-time freelancer?

How did you get private clients?

Thanks for taking time out to respond.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:20 pm
I also started in an agency and now freelance.
My freelance clients have no connection to the agency, though the agency did give me credibility and a lot of experience/know how.
Find a friend/relative and do a free/cheap job for them. Have them talk. You talk. Daven. Smile
And word gets out.

In terms of magazines, just keep writing and pitching. Starting rates are 7-10 cents/word but you can usually convince them you expect 10 if you're good and don't require much editing.

Join Soferet (google group).

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:

Amother who works for creative agency did you start out full time? Do I have any hope as a part-time freelancer?

How did you get private clients?

Thanks for taking time out to respond.

I started part time on a project by project basis as I was replacing a veteran copywriter; after a few months I became a full time copywriter.

Freelancing can be rewarding, but very tough the first few years. I personally would advise you to try to break into the industry through a creative agency. You'll get a lot of big name and established brands and corporations in your lap (depending who your agency services), which will be great for your portfolio, and you'll also earn more credibility that way. The teamwork, conceptualizing with a creative team, having mentors, learning to work together with designers, are all invaluable skills.

While you try to break in to the industry, I suggest you read up on it. Read blogs such as Copyhackers and Copyblogger, and books like Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This, Web Copy that Sells by Maria Veloso (the examples she provides are very spammy, but many of her principles are brilliant) and by copywriting legends such as Joe Sugarman, Eugene Schwartz, Bob Bly... Filthy Rich Writer is an excellent resource for copywriters who are just getting started, and for the business side of freelance copywriting, Ash Ambrige's Middle Finger Project, though beware that she uses very explicit language.

Do spec work so you have samples to show an agency.

I got private clients primarily through networking, and referrals from people who had used me.

It can be very hard to get your foot in the door, but once you do, it can be an exhilarating and well paying career.

baltomom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:48 am
For those who write for the Jewish magazines: If an aspiring writer sends them an article they haven't requested, do they pay?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:12 pm
baltomom wrote:
For those who write for the Jewish magazines: If an aspiring writer sends them an article they haven't requested, do they pay?

Yes, but I'd recommend sending a pitch before sending the entire article. Write an email introducing yourself and your topic, why you think it's a good fit for their magazine/readership, and attach the first few paragraphs of your article as a teaser/taster. If they like it then they'll hire you for that piece and perhaps more will follow.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:17 pm
seeker wrote:
Yes, but I'd recommend sending a pitch before sending the entire article. Write an email introducing yourself and your topic, why you think it's a good fit for their magazine/readership, and attach the first few paragraphs of your article as a teaser/taster. If they like it then they'll hire you for that piece and perhaps more will follow.

This is bad advice. You're not on staff. Write, edit and proof-read your article. Send it in completed, without any long explanations of who you are and why you think it would be good for their magazine (unless it's genuinely relevant) and then be polite and professional whatever the response.

No one's going to commit to paying an unknown person for an unseen or unwritten article. Most places won't even commit to that for known authors.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:29 pm
OK, if that's how you feel about it. But that's what I did and I've been getting steady jobs from that magazine ever since. And I'm glad I didn't waste my time writing a whole article without knowing whether the magazine would be interested. And the article wasn't entirely unseen, I sent in the first few paragraphs.

No long explanations, just a paragraph or so. Something like "Hi, as a long-time Veibelech Vibes reader and avid crochet enthusiast, I think your readership would be interested in being the first to learn about a new trend in crocheted housewares. It would be an honor to share my inside information with the Veibelech community. Please see the attached writing sample and let me know if you are interested."

Amother, are you an editor involved in the selection process?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:33 pm
Without the introductory paragraph in the email, I doubt they'd even waste their time reading a full-length article sent by an unknown writer. I don't know how many poor-quality unsolicited submissions they receive. Usually the editors I work with want to have some involvement in planning the article rather than just taking a completed work straight off my hands.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics