Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Moissanite engagement ring

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:07 pm
does anyone have a moissanite engagement ring?
does it really look like a real diamond?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:24 pm
I have one! I did a ton of research before buying an engagement ring because 1)I wanted a nice size and didn't want to pay the price for a large clear diamond even though I could afford it and 2) buying a blood diamond doesn't sit right with me. So for ethical reasons. Diamonds are just stones but society has hyped them so up so they can hike up the prices. Moissanites come from meteors. I have almost a 3c moissanite and it's gorgeous. The brilliance is beyond perfect. It's flawless and they last unlike other stones like cz's which don't. I had it set in a setting from a jewelry store and didn't use moissanites for the setting but they match perfectly. Also, moissanites are just as hard as diamonds as diamonds so they're very comparable but the price is better.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:42 pm
I also have a 3 carat equivalent moissanite ring. It looks amazing and cost 1800 with the setting as opposed to 50k? for the same as a diamond. I've been so happy with it and have gotten tons of compliments. We want to get an eternity band some point soon, and are going to consider buying moissanite for that, too, depending on the price differential.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:45 pm
does it look too "perfect" or "flawless" that it looks fake?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
I have one! I did a ton of research before buying an engagement ring because 1)I wanted a nice size and didn't want to pay the price for a large clear diamond even though I could afford it and 2) buying a blood diamond doesn't sit right with me. So for ethical reasons. Diamonds are just stones but society has hyped them so up so they can hike up the prices. Moissanites come from meteors. I have almost a 3c moissanite and it's gorgeous. The brilliance is beyond perfect. It's flawless and they last unlike other stones like cz's which don't. I had it set in a setting from a jewelry store and didn't use moissanites for the setting but they match perfectly. Also, moissanites are just as hard as diamonds as diamonds so they're very comparable but the price is better.

Moissanites don't come from meteors, although that is the original source. They are lab created.

This is a good summary of the differences, along with a video of both for illustrative purposes.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/.....mond/

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:
does it look too "perfect" or "flawless" that it looks fake?

I don't think so. I suppose some people might suspect that it's fake just based on the size and the fact that my husband is not a man of means. But others are like wow how did you afford that? He must have saved up forever. Ever since seeing how my ring turned out, my younger sister is now set on getting moissanite too one day IY"H.

But you should know that it does have different refraction than a diamond. It's actually more sparkly. A diamond expert would notice this in a second under the right light, even without a loupe. The average person, no.

Also, it's not a perfect color like a cz is. If you get a smaller stone that's enhanced or forever brilliant, you can get in the e-f range, but never a d. And the larger stones won't be much better than an f/g. The round ones have the best color. I looked into cushion cut, but at that size, the best I could find was an h-I which was too yellow for my tastes.

If you live in or can get to NYC, there's a place on 47th street that sells moissanite stones so you can see what they look like in real life. That's where we bought my ring, and got it set at the booth next to them in the diamond exchange. If you want more info, let me know.

besty

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:22 pm
whats the diff. between a moissanite and a cz?

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:48 pm
What about white sapphire as another alternative?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:20 pm
Go with lab created diamond! Lab created stones are amaaaazing.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 6:24 pm
My Moissanite is a perfect color. I did a ton of research before buying it and a cz starts to lose its color after a few years. Moissanites aren't known to do that.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 6:24 pm
Does anyone know a good place to get lab-created diamonds?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:02 pm
anyone else?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:28 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Go with lab created diamond! Lab created stones are amaaaazing.

what's the difference between a lab created diamond and a moissanite?
is the difference noticeable to the naked eye?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
what's the difference between a lab created diamond and a moissanite?
is the difference noticeable to the naked eye?

bump

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:35 pm
If you live in or can get to NYC, there's a place on 47th street that sells moissanite stones so you can see what they look like in real life. That's where we bought my ring, and got it set at the booth next to them in the diamond exchange. If you want more info, let me know.[/quote]

I don't know when I am going to get to NYC, but I wouldn't mind having the info. has this booth been around for a while? how do you know that they are honest?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics