Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
"Down to Earth" towns in NY/NJ?
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:34 pm
We have 3 kids, 5 and under.

Searching for a neighborhood in the NY/NJ area (not Lakewood or Brooklyn) that has a Yeshivish/Kollel community and is very much down to earth. Our dream is to move out of town, but because of my job I need to be in the NY/NJ area. We dont care for the fancy clothes, just perfect sheitels or high end cars. We want to live with people who share the same ideals. I am very comfortable in my own skin, but I do want to have friends who are like me.

(can I add somewhat affordable to the list? Understandably its not going to be as cheap as out of town cities, but just a bit affordable?)

Any suggestions?

12rivkyk34

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:35 pm
Passaic, Staten island or queens?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:41 pm
Edison and Passaic are probably cloest to what you're looking for. Staten Island is also down-to-earth, but has much less of a yeshivish/kollel presence. Also look into Bayswater and Far Rockaway, though know that they share schools with much wealthier Lawrence and Cedarhurst.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:43 pm
should also mention it shouldn't be in the city (like queens). Strong warm community with place for kids to play outdoors etc... not city blocks!

Thanks!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:26 pm
What do you define yourself as? (MO, JPF, Yeshvish.... )
Twin Rivers/east windsor could work if your more jpf/ MO
Kids would need to travel to school - the more RW families send to lkwd, middle of the road to Sharei Tzion in Edison, more LW to shalom torah academy (co-ed)
http://www.cte-twinrivers.org/

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:29 pm
Check west hempstead. U can send ur kids to queens or 5t schools as its in midde of both... also passaic and edison definitely fit that bill.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:32 pm
Passaic definitely

twogees

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:33 pm
look into bayswater. I grew up there and is such a warm community...

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:35 pm
Twin Rivers NJ
http://www.cte-twinrivers.org/whoweare.htm

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 4:51 pm
Edison / highland park

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:01 pm
I think parts of Monsey might fit your description

momtra

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:20 pm
Passaic

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:46 pm
momtra wrote:
Passaic

Yep....

working hard

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:05 am
Eltingville, Staten Island as opposed to Willowbrook. Eltingville is almost only a kollel/yeshiva community

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:20 am
Long Beach

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:02 pm
thank you for all your responses.

we are mainstream yeshivish. would feel most comfortable in a neighborhood with similar types of people.

can you tell me more about monsey? where in monsey is "down to earth"? I know nothing... enlighten me!

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 2:42 pm
Monsey has become quite chassidish and wealthy, and even if you find a small sub-neighborhood of like-minded people, you'll still be a small minority, becoming smaller and smaller over time, not to mention that schools there will definitely have a wealthier clientele. I think you'll be happiest in Passaic, Edison, or Bayswater/FR.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:15 pm
thnks.
for some reason dh doesn't go for passaic

how is price of living in edison-- houses, taxes etc...?

bayswater and fr is right near the 5towns which is already too expensive for us.

I know I'm sounding picky, I can't go into more details, but if anyone happens to think of a simple life town without being so expensive, I'm listening with open ears

what about philly? I know I said ny/nj but if we had to push it I think I may be able to get away with philly. what are the expenses like over there? high cost of living like in ny? what about the yeshiva/kollel community (and what's the area called)?

byisrael

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:35 pm
Twin Rivers has a few yeshivish families who send the kids to lkwd or edison for school.
Super down to earth but the yeshivish families are all either involved in kiruv or part of the kollel and are kinda young.
The community is very mixed but the yeshvish families are more of the Rabbi's/ role models....
Call Rabi Gruman for info;
Also you have more access to diverse school options being that its a half an hour from both LKWD an Edison then philly which is a very similar community
Also housing is really cheap - you can get a 4 bedroom house with a nice yard for under 300k and town house for even less....

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:50 pm
Could you be happy in a new and upcoming neighborhood? Know ten families who just bought houses in Nassau County near Roosevelt field mall. Affordable nice housing and people are bussing the kids to five towns or queens schools
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating